Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Any Way to Convert WordPress Comments to BBPress

• Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew a way to take wordpress comments and convert them into BBpress. Or alternatively maybe WordPress Comments into PHPBB, then use a converter to go from PHPBB to BBPress?

If anyone has done this before or if you know how best to approach this I’d sure appreciate some guidance. Thank you.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

You may check my WordPress to bbPress converter – http://code.google.com/p/wordpress-to-bbpress-converter/

It doesn’t migrate users yet, so you would have to do that yourself (before using the script).

Awesome, thank you very much Gautam for your help!

Hi Gautam, I have the converter installed, but have a quick question for you.

My wordpress is in the root directory, my bbpress forums are in

http://www.sitename.com/forums2

Here is the part of your code:

define( ‘W2BC_WP_PATH’, ” ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */

define( ‘W2BC_BB_PATH’, ‘/forums2/’ ); /** With Trailing Slash, if required */

define( ‘W2BC_CONVERT_PINGBACKS’, true ); /** Convert pingacks too? true or false */

*** Continue my question ***

I keep getting “bbPress loader file (bb-load.php) doesn’t exist in the path specified!”

I have tried defining the w2bc_bb_path to ./forums2/ I have left it as the default like you had it and I have tried it as it is in the example above … it still tells me the path doesn’t exist

Could you let me know what path I need to define, if my forums are located at

http://www.sitename.com (this is where wordpress is installed)

http://www.sitename.com/forums2 (this is where my bbpress is installed)

Thank you again for the help and for the file. I am hoping I can get it to work:-)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Where have you put the script? Put it in the root and also check if /forums2/bb-load.php exists.

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

Does this work with the new bbpress 2 (plugin version) or is it only for the current release?

Does this work for bbpress 2 (plugin version) or is it only for the current release?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

You can convert your WordPress install into bbPress standalone and then convert bbPress standalone into bbPress plugin.

christopher jon

@christopher-jon

OK, gotcha, thanks.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Something more official will probably come down the pipe eventually. I imagine there will be a need to convert long blog comment conversations into forum topics and replies.

Martin
    Participant

@rastarr

Well, it’s 7 months since the last comment and I’m wondering whether anything official did actually ‘come down the pipe’?

I’ve just converted my Drupal site over to a locally running WordPress / bbPress installation however all previous forums from my Drupal site are currently WP Posts since they’ve retained the comment structure.

I’m able to convert the Posts to Topics however the comments remain elusive, presumably since Replies are a custom content type and, for whatever reason, comments aren’t a content type. At least nothing that’s recognised by the converting plugin that I found.

Being able to convert a WP Post with comments to a Topic with Replies is about the only thing now that’s stopping the converted site from going live.

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Rastarr, you may try converting your WordPress blog into bbPress standalone forums via http://code.google.com/p/wordpress-to-bbpress-converter/ and then use the bbPress plugin importer to import from the bbPress standalone. Please have a backup, cheers! :)

Martin
    Participant

@rastarr

Hmmm, can I do that into another WP / bbPress site or does it have to be into the same installation that my current WP installation with the posts is running in?

And can it only convert a particular category as well I.e I’ve already set a ‘Forum’ category for the posts I’d like to convert.

Thanks for your help thus far too

Does this plugin convert the comments to Topics?

OR

it converts the posts to topics?

I really need to convert my comments to topics and have discussion over there.

my url is palestinefacts.org

you can see there is very long homepage so i need to convert them to forums.

radi_v
    Participant

@radi_v

Any updates on this topic?

I need to convert my post comments into replies. How to do it?

@radi_v Take a look at this https://github.com/nosecreek/Posts-to-bbPress

It is doing ‘Converts WordPress posts and comments to bbPress topics and replies.’

I haven’t looked closely at the code yet (possibility including this to the bbPress core ‘import tool’) though you may be able to tweak it to only do ‘comments’ to ‘replies’.

Will Brownsberger
    Participant

@will-brownsberger

This is a potentially useful plugin, and makes nice use of WP functions.

However, I’ve reviewed this code and I don’t believe that it works.

Unless I’m missing something it doesn’t update the various necessary _bb_press metakeys.

It just simplistically changes the post types for the posts to “topic” and stores the comments as replies.

Possible that I’m missing something, but the documentation for the insert post function includes no indication that it will maintain the necessary bbpress fields.

See https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_insert_post

Although I haven’t run the code, I don’t actually believe that it will even insert the posts into the selected bbpress forum. It will, however, create the topics which can then be moved around manually.

Just a lay person’s read.

Will Brownsberger
    Participant

@will-brownsberger

Just a follow up.

Here is a different plug in that does a reasonable job:

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/

After installing it, go to discussion settings and then set it to create a forum topic for each post, copy tags, etc. Then you have an option to apply settings to all existing posts.

I tried this on a test site and it worked pretty well. It did not do all the bookkeeping of reply counts correctly, but it did create appropriate topics for each post and import the comments and replies to them.

It is also reversible as it does not delete either the posts or comments — if you deactivate the plug in your posts (which were unchanged anyway) and their comments are intact. You do still have a bunch of new topics in your target forum.

makingcircuits
    Participant

@makingcircuits

I have found a way of implementing this, in fact this facility becomes readily accessible once you install and activate the plugin “bbpress topics for posts”.

here are the procedures to migrate your existing wordpress comments into bbpress forum interface, below each posts 🙂

install and activate plugins: bbpress, and bbpress topics for posts

go to settings > Discussions > bbPress Topics for Posts Defaults….now select the forum which you have created under “Create a new bbPress topic in”

and finally press SAVE at the bottom of the page.

wait it is not yet over.

go back again to bbPress Topics for Posts Defaults
    and click on the new option which asks: “apply settings to existing posts”.

As soon as you do this all your existing wordpress comments will disappear, and you will see a bbpress forum box under each of the posts.

DON’T PANIC!!!!!!!!!!

Go to your wordpress dashboard

click on posts > all posts > tick on the box named “title” just below “Bulk Actions”

this will select all the posts on that page.

now select “Edit” and Apply

a new window will open (we all know about this)…now simply PRESS the “update” button at the right hand side corner of this window.

Repeat this for each and every page in case you have a small number of posts on each page….or if you want to execute this at once, make sure to first select all the posts on the same pageby going to the screen options and selecting the total number of posts you prefer to include on that page

BINGO!!!!

Go and check your posts you will find all your wordpress comments have been transferred into bbpress…

But will this have any SEO implications? I don’t know…

Robin W

@robin-w

great post – thanks for taking the time to fully document this 🙂

makingcircuits
    Participant

@makingcircuits

Thanks!

just forgot to add, you must click the options as shown in the following screenshot:

https://makingcircuits.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/bbpress-options.png

makingcircuits
    Participant

@makingcircuits

Please checkout the implementation here

Sine Wave Inverter Circuit using PIC16F72

makingcircuits
    Participant

@makingcircuits

Update:

Sadly I have removed the set up…. because the bbpress topics for posts plugin seems to be too outdated and could have security issues…

makingcircuits
    Participant

@makingcircuits

I am happy to see the plugin is updated…but sorry to say it doesn’t work now….before the update it was working wonderfully but now it is a mess (sorry to say this)

zettis
    Blocked

@zettis

Here is a different plug in that does a reasonable job:

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-post-topics/

After installing it, go to discussion settings and then set it to create a forum topic for each post, copy tags, etc. Then you have an option to apply settings to all existing posts.

I tried this on a test site and it worked pretty well. It did not do all the bookkeeping of reply counts correctly, but it did create appropriate topics for each post and import the comments and replies to them. Local bookkeeping services

It is also reversible as it does not delete either the posts or comments — if you deactivate the plug in your posts (which were unchanged anyway) and their comments are intact. You do still have a bunch of new topics in your target forum.

yes, I also removed the add-in

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Some functionality similar to this is planned for bbPress 2.7.

It is plausible that plugin will be used for inspiration, though the final code will likely end up being completely rewritten/modernized/debugged.

Viewing 24 replies - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.