Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Anonymous posting broken in 1.02

• bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

OK so one of my “migration to 1.0 problems” has been resolved. However, the ability to have anonymous posts is still broken. Can the old plug-in be updated?

Viewing 23 replies - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)

• bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

Thanks Markus!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you download the zip file from the location Markus pointed to, you will not have BackPress. It’s best to download using subversion to ensure you get all the dependencies.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you download the zip file from the location Markus pointed to, you will not have BackPress. It’s best to download using subversion to ensure you get all the dependencies.

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

I knew it was to straight forward to be true.

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

I knew it was to straight forward to be true.

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

Just to summarize my questions:

1) Can the old anon plug-in be fixed while we all wait for the next version of BBPREss.

2) When will this next version be released (1.1? 1.03? a wordpress plug-in??)

3) Is the current development version stable enough to use live?

4) How does a normal person get a version of the development version to install.

If the answers could be phrased in ways that don’t assume I already know the answers that would be helpful.

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

1) Can the old anon plug-in be fixed while we all wait for the next version of BBPREss.

4) How does a normal person get a version of the development version to install.

If the answers could be phrased in ways that don’t assume I already know the answers that would be helpful.

i am especially interested in the answers to #2, #3 and somewhat #4

i am especially interested in the answers to #2, #3 and somewhat #4

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I don’t think so.

Never.

Never.

First alpha is coming soon.

Of course, far more stable than 1.0.2.

WIth an SVN client. The are gazillions.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I don’t think so.

Never.

Never.

Of course, far more stable than 1.0.2.

WIth an SVN client. The are gazillions.

Never.

Never.

I don’t think this is all true. Everything I have read from “official” sources is that the stand-alone version of bbPress will still be available, and looking at trac.bbpress.org, there is still a 1.1 version in development that has only 5-6 tickets remaining. Do you have a source for stating that 1.1 will never be released? That would be helpful.

Never.

Never.

I don’t think this is all true. Everything I have read from “official” sources is that the stand-alone version of bbPress will still be available, and looking at trac.bbpress.org, there is still a 1.1 version in development that has only 5-6 tickets remaining. Do you have a source for stating that 1.1 will never be released? That would be helpful.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Here you go buddy: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-is-born

This post (closed by Matt) clearly states what Automattic will do with bbPress and why we are speaking of forking the project.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Here you go buddy: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-is-born

This post (closed by Matt) clearly states what Automattic will do with bbPress and why we are speaking of forking the project.

Thanks! Clearly, bbPress is officially going to be a plugin for WordPress going forward (but as you note, the code is there to fork for those who still want a standalone version).

Thanks! Clearly, bbPress is officially going to be a plugin for WordPress going forward (but as you note, the code is there to fork for those who still want a standalone version).

After reading the whole of that thread you linked, I think my use of “fork” was a poor choice of words. All I was trying to say is that the standalone code isn’t going away. It does seem from reading the thread that the intent (at least the original intent) was to officially release 1.1 as a “solid stand alone” (JJJ’s words).

After reading the whole of that thread you linked, I think my use of “fork” was a poor choice of words. All I was trying to say is that the standalone code isn’t going away. It does seem from reading the thread that the intent (at least the original intent) was to officially release 1.1 as a “solid stand alone” (JJJ’s words).

wholesale Pandora jewelry

wholesale Pandora jewelry

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

I was finally able to read up on subversion, find a client and install 1.1. Last night.

For future reference to those who find this:

To install the development trunk:

1) Go get a subversion client. For your purposes this is like an FTP or web browser client that lets you download “special” file types. There are many clients out there. All you need to be able to do is “check out” things. Almost all the free ones will let you do this. I used svnX for mac.

2) Now you need to find the address of the current BBPress trunk. They do try their best to make it hard for newbies who just want the damn fiels but you can find the address here:

Download

See the line that says “vn co http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/trunk/”

You do not need all of that. All you need to do is tell your subversion client that the “repository” is at “http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/trunk/”. In the same way you would give a web browser the address of a page where you were going to download a file.

3) “check out” a copy of the trunk. check out is subversion speak for “download”. There are reasons why for development purposed they say “check out” but you don’t care about that.

4) You will have to tell it where to download the file. In subversion speak you tell it where to put your “working copy”. Again there are reasons for this but you don’t care you just want the damn files.

5) Now you have a folder with the newest version of BBPress. The one that is far more stable than the current “release” and the one everyone on the forum will tell you to go “get” if you have any complaints about the current “release”.

They will not tell you how to do this. That would be easy (see above). Nor will they write a simple script that will make the trunk available as a simple .zip file that a normal person could download. Again, that sort of thing would just be two damn simple.

bbuser12345
    Participant

@bbuser12345

I was finally able to read up on subversion, find a client and install 1.1. Last night.

For future reference to those who find this:

To install the development trunk:

1) Go get a subversion client. For your purposes this is like an FTP or web browser client that lets you download “special” file types. There are many clients out there. All you need to be able to do is “check out” things. Almost all the free ones will let you do this. I used svnX for mac.

2) Now you need to find the address of the current BBPress trunk. They do try their best to make it hard for newbies who just want the damn fiels but you can find the address here:

Download

See the line that says “vn co http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/trunk/”

You do not need all of that. All you need to do is tell your subversion client that the “repository” is at “http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/trunk/”. In the same way you would give a web browser the address of a page where you were going to download a file.

3) “check out” a copy of the trunk. check out is subversion speak for “download”. There are reasons why for development purposed they say “check out” but you don’t care about that.

4) You will have to tell it where to download the file. In subversion speak you tell it where to put your “working copy”. Again there are reasons for this but you don’t care you just want the damn files.

5) Now you have a folder with the newest version of BBPress. The one that is far more stable than the current “release” and the one everyone on the forum will tell you to go “get” if you have any complaints about the current “release”.

They will not tell you how to do this. That would be easy (see above). Nor will they write a simple script that will make the trunk available as a simple .zip file that a normal person could download. Again, that sort of thing would just be two damn simple.

Viewing 23 replies - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar