Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Allowing inline images uploads in posts?

• ben_allison

@ben_allison

The bb-attachments plugin doesn’t work any more with current version of bbPress.

Is there are reasonable solution to allow users to insert images (upload, not just add tag) into their posts?

Viewing 16 replies - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)

• whoaloic
    Participant

@whoaloic

Hello,
    I try the snippet.
    The upload media button does appear but clicking on Add Media only acts as an anchor link to the top of the page.

whoaloic
    Participant

@whoaloic

I try snippets but clicking on the Add Media button acts like an anchor link to the top page.

Loc Pham
    Participant

@phamdacloc

Thanks everyone for posting your method of inserting inline images. So are those methods which you’ve posted a hack? Will it expose security risk? Why don’t bbPress support this capability as the thread has been asked over 3 years ago?

Danny
    Participant

@dannyfoo

Tried the method @palmdoc suggested, but it’s not working for me.

After cloning the Participant role and enabling the 2 other capabilities, whenever I tried to upload a media into the library, it returned the following error:

You don’t have permission to attach files to this post.

When I checked the Users, I noticed there’s a Site Role and Forum Role. My new role is listed under Site Role and Forum Role is still Participant.

Could this be why it’s not working.

For an alternative way to add inline images to topics and replies without cluttering up the WordPress media system or editing user capabilities, check out our new “Image Upload for BBPress” plugin on the WordPress repository: https://wordpress.org/plugins/image-upload-for-bbpress/

mimbelli
    Participant

@mimbelli

So right now the only way to upload images and display them inline into a forum post is via an external plugin?

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

@mimbelli, try not to revive 4y old posts please. Just post your own 🙂

For uploading files, the 3 products I know of are ‘GD bbpress Attachments’, ‘Image Upload for BBPress’ and ‘bbPress Multi Image Uploader’. Have a look if it would fit your needs.

If you use BuddyPress as well, then there is also ‘BuddyPress Forum Editor’.

Pascal.

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

I did it very nice with activated TinyMce for bbpress (simple one) and media upload button.
    Then with one snippet limmited users to se only own uploads. It is easy to find on Google.

Now with Shortcode UI (Shortake) it is very easy to make plenty of visual shortcodes for forum. So play with it and use it for attachments.There is allways way to remove other media modal tab items.

I will play a bit with it in future. BBC codes as shortcodes, etc.

mimbelli
    Participant

@mimbelli

@casiepa sorry I’m new here and I though was better recycle than create 😉
    Thank you for your tips

@stagger-lee
    thank you, could you give me a link?

Stagger Lee
    Participant

@stagger-lee

Link to what ?
    Functions.php snippet to limit Users to see own uploads is here at this topic already.
    But GD Attachments plugin still works well.

Shortcake is easy to find.

munkitkat
    Participant

@munkitkat

I use the absolute newest version of WP and 4.4.2 and can’t upload images directly in the editor and didn’t find a plugin for doing it (uploading, display them inline etc.)

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

For uploading files, the 3 products I know of are ‘GD bbpress Attachments’, ‘Image Upload for BBPress’ and ‘bbPress Multi Image Uploader’. Have a look if it would fit your needs.

If you use BuddyPress as well, then there is also ‘BuddyPress Forum Editor’.

Jon Fergus
    Participant

@jon-fergus

FYI: To make sure lower user roles can upload images to topics inline in their replies, the solution for me was to allow edit_others_topics and upload_files for the user role. As far as I can tell, checking this allows them to upload inline images in their comments but doesn’t let them actually edit the topics of others, oddly enough. So the solution seems to work without any additional problems being created by the extra permission.

Note: I’m also using the adminimize plugin to hide dashboard options for lower user roles, which keeps them from seeing the topics menu or anything else in the backend, so there’s no worry about them having increased permissions so long as they’re stuck only editing/commenting from the front end.

Jon Fergus
    Participant

@jon-fergus

For those who have added the code from palmdoc’s instructions here, you’ll also likely need to change user role permissions so that they can upload inline images to all topics. Solution is here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/cant-upload-media-in-bbpress/#post-175834

@jon-fergus I suggest you do not add edit_others_topics to user roles so they can add inline images, it *WILL* allow them to *edit others topics** for whatever reason users cannot edit other topics as you suggest might be a bug, it might not be and maybe a conflict with your *adminimize hide dashboard* plugin and is obfuscated and easily bypassed.

siparker
    Participant

@siparker

You can use this

Mediapress BBpress Gallery Insert From Editor

It works with media press but even if you dont use mediapress it works by adding the img bbcode into the posts.

Viewing 16 replies - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar