Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

User Profiles

• NovaSev
    Participant

@novasev

I’m trying to figure out a few things – I’ve done a search and read through a couple dozen or so items without much luck.

I’d like to incorporate some more info into the bbPress user profiles – I know I can probably do this using the $curauth params but want to make sure. I also want to make authors/contributors/etc link to the bbPress profiles as well. Is there a quick piece of code I can use to do this within my WordPress theme files?

I have this function to return an author profile page when the name is clicked on:

function new_comment_author_profile_link(){

/* Get the comment author information */
        global $comment;
        $comment_ID = $comment->user_id;
        $author = get_comment_author( $comment_ID );
        $url    = get_comment_author_url( $comment_ID );

/* Return the default WordPress comment author link if comment author is not
        a registered user */
        if ($comment_ID == 0){
            if ( empty( $url ) || 'http://' == $url )
                $return = $author;
            else
                $return = "<a href='$url' rel='' class='author-url'>$author</a>";
        } else {
        /* Return the link to the comment author's profile page if otherwise */
            $return = '<a href="'.home_url().'/?author='.$comment_ID.'">'.$author.'</a>';
        }

return $return;
    }

Can I plug in some line/piece of code to direct it to the bbPress profile instead? If so, what piece?

Wordpress & bbPress are latest versions – website is http://www.novasev.com
    Appreciate the feedback.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• NovaSev
    Participant

@novasev

Just tried using the $curauth params within the bbPress user-profile.php, didn’t work out so swell. Little lost on this one so any help would be appreciated. Even if I can do this in a reverse way – where the bbPress profile will link to the WP profile instead. Either way works for me.

I guess a simple question would be – the bbPress default template php files are located in the plugin directory … if those files were in the theme folder would bbPress pick them up that way?

Robin W

@robin-w

Not totally sure what end result you are after, but the following plugins add a topic count and 4 extra user fields

bbp topic count plugin

(it’s also on wordpress plugins)

bbp-profile-information

(will be on wordpress plugins in a few days)

NovaSev
    Participant

@novasev

Well – and this is cutting it down as simply as I can possibly make it – I want to add either bbPress user info to the WordPress user’s pages or wordpress user info to the bbPress user pages. I want to make it so anytime someone clicks on a name there is only one single profile page for that person through out the entire site instead of having one for my wordpress site and one for my bbpress forum area.

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m presuming the one for your wordpress site is the one on the top right that is in the toolbar? Wasn’t clear from your website as obviously I’m not logged in !

If so, I just turn this off, it never fits with a theme anyway, and now you have a profile in bbPress you don’t need it anymore. So maybe just use the bbPress one, you can call it from menu’s and widgets, so it can be site-wide.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar