Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Some errors with Deep Integration.

• arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

Hello everyone,

I followed these steps to integrate WordPress with bbPress. However, there appeared some errors that I could not fix.

1. Since I am using the theme “Twenty Ten”, I tried to use the page template One column, no sidebar, but could not. Is there any way?
    2. The sidebar does not appear in your place.
    3. The footer in both WordPress and in bbPress, was disfigured. How can I fix it?
    4. The bbPress admin pages comes to a blank page.

Here’s the sites: the blog, and the forum.

Thanks for everything.

Att;

P.S.: Sorry for my terrible English… ;-)

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • It looks like you have the integration and deep integration working, and that all you need is to mess around with the styles. I don’t know if this will help, but check out how I got it to work. I had the Twentyten sidebar working at one point but didn’t like it in bbPress. Also, I had the same problem with the footer and didn’t want to fix it at the time. But it can be fixed with styles I’m sure.

edit: there appears to be a problem with my server at the moment. Replace bb_get_footer in bbPress/theme/footer.php with

</div>

</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?><div id="primary" class="widget-area" role="complimentary">

</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

The number of divs and placement of the call for the sidebar is what makes it work. Just play around with it until you get it to work.

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

I will make this changes and back here soon.

Thanks for the help :-)

Att,

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

Hello,

I followed your instructions @wblogan, and the first, second and fourth problems were resolved.

Now, the third problem persists, and some problems appeared due to CSS bbPress would need help to fix (I do not understand anything of the composition of CSS at bbPress)

Thank you.

Att,

Though integration appears to be working and the style sheet is being called in the twentyten/header.php your style sheet is not getting loaded.

/**** Style sheets whose contents could be loaded were ****/<br />
    /**** imported instead. Rule order may be incorrect ****/<br />
    /**** as a result. ****/

Perhaps someone else here can tell you why that is, or you may need to google it to find out why. Don’t take this the wrong way, but I’m not the person to help you beyond what I’ve told you (and what I have told you may be wrong). There’s too much I have not learned. Besides that, I’m not sure that this is the place to get help with CSS. I’ve learned what little I know about CSS from places like http://www.w3schools.com/css/. There are tools to help you with changing styles. I use the Google Chrome browser, but your browser no doubt has a “view source” feature. Google Chrome allows you to inspect elements and alter styles, and you can get the Firebug extension for it (which imho is better than chrome’s inspect element). I find the Jesse R. “edit styles” bookmarklet very useful for learning and changing css (https://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/bookmarklets-all.html).

But the first order of business is to figure out why the style sheet is not being loaded.

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

I make some CSS adaptations gradually, and works (until now).

But, how I can fix the footer?!

Thank you.

I wonder if you will get the footer and other things fixed without fixing your style sheets. Your styles are in the wrong order. Looks to me like you are using @import rather than <link> to get the style sheets. In fact, it looks to me like you are using <link>, @import and internal styles. Are you importing styles from another site outside your domain? What browser are you using? Have you made changes to twentyten/header.php other than adding the link to the bbpress/bb-styles.css?

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

<link rel="profile" href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/bb-style.css" type="text/css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="<?php bloginfo( 'stylesheet_url' ); ?>" />
    <link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo( 'pingback_url' ); ?>" />

This is the edit of the header.php. It’s the only change I made in this file.

And, no. I’m not importing another style outside my domain, and I’m using Opera 10.62.

Thanks for the assistance.

I would try commenting this line out; maybe it needs to be in a different place?

<link rel="profile" href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11"/>

Where are these internal styles coming from if you have not added them to header.php?

`<style type="text/css"><br />
    .signature {padding:1em; border-top:1px solid #ccc; font-size:0.87em; color:#444;}<br />
    </style><br />
    <style type="text/css"><br />
    .bb_smilies {border:0; vertical-align: middle; padding-bottom:1px;}<br />
    .bb_smilies {cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;}<br />
    #bbClicker {position: absolute; float: right; visibility: hidden; background: buttonface; width: 150px; border:2px inset buttonface; font: 1.2em times, serif;}<br />
    #bbClicker img {padding:5px;}<br />
    #bb_smilies_toggle {float:right; padding: 0px 6px 1px 6px; margin: 1px 7px 2px 0; font: 1.2em times, serif; word-spacing: -1px; height: 16px; vertical-align:middle; line-height:16px;');}<br />
    </style>`

I looked at your site with Firefox and opened the error console, and I think something in these styles might be causing a problem.

Have you edited bbpress/frontpage.php?

Check anything you have edited for missing or misplaced closing tags.

I’m out of my element here. These are just the things I would try. (I wish someone who knows more than me would jump in here.)

<style type="text/css">.signature {padding:1em; border-top:1px solid #ccc; font-size:0.87em; color:#444;}</style><style type="text/css">.bb_smilies {border:0; vertical-align: middle; padding-bottom:1px;}
    .bb_smilies {cursor: pointer; cursor: hand;}
    #bbClicker {position: absolute; float: right; visibility: hidden; background: buttonface; width: 150px; border:2px inset buttonface; font: 1.2em times, serif;}
    #bbClicker img {padding:5px;}
    #bb_smilies_toggle {float:right; padding: 0px 6px 1px 6px; margin: 1px 7px 2px 0; font: 1.2em times, serif; word-spacing: -1px; height: 16px; vertical-align:middle; line-height:16px;');}

In the styles above (wherever they are coming from) this style line-height:16px;');} is wrong. It should be line-height:16px;}.

I suppose this could be throwing everything off.

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

Hello,

I turned off the plugins that added style lines that you indicated. I do not know anything was resolved, honestly … :-(

I think I made a wrong issue in file footer.php, I will check it shortly.

Oh, about the mistakes of styles, I’m in the “cleaning” process of the bbPress’ CSS. But which of the two files I need to edit: bb-style.css style.css?

I appreciate your help.

Att,

Edit: I think what is messing up the footer is the integrated-footer.txt file, since it closes some <div> tags.

No?

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

Okay, I made the following change in integrated-footer.txt file:

</div>
    <?php get_footer(); ?>
    </div>

It arranges the footer on the homepage. But on the other pages this mess (and the other pages worked fine with the file without modification). How do I fix this?

Att,

Can’t explain why one thing worked for me with the footer and another works for you. I get lost trying to follow the divs, so I just kept fooling around with it until it worked. Not exactly the right way to go about it I know, but…

I took a look at your site and saw no difference between the footer on the front page and the other pages. So I don’t know what the issue is there.

With regard to editing the two style sheets, I did not have to mess with much but the login field. It crowded the line below, so I fixed it. I just looked for things on all pages in WordPress and bbPress that weren’t right and changed what I had to. But the idea is that you want to merge the two style sheets. So far as I know you could put all of the styles in one sheet if you wanted and eliminate the other. I think the point is that you can’t have different styles for the same elements without it causing a problem somewhere. As I recall I made no changes to the WordPress style.css. I made all changes in the bb-style.css and bbPress theme.

Your site is looking good to me. Is Firebug available for Opera? If not, that edit styles bookmarklet I mentioned in my documentation is very helpful in making changes to styles.

arthurfreitas

@arthurfreitas

Thanks for all your help, @wblogan. Now I’m editing the CSS of bbPress (it’s hard, oh boy…).

Ahn… Opera Browser comes with a feature called Dragonfly. Works like than Firebug.

Again, thanks.

Att,

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar