Categories
Search
Bottom

Registration/Login Issues

• fishmilk
    Participant

@fishmilk

Hello,

I manage a website (missdots.com) and I’m having issues with my bbpress forum. I’m using wordpress 3.5.1 and bbpress 2.3.1

My issue is that whenever a new user registers to use the forum, they are sent an email with their password as is usual; however, when they go on the site to login, entering the login information does absolutely nothing. The topics and replies still carry the disclaimer “you must be logged in to create a new topic/ reply to this topic”. I’ve tried logging in using the test user I created on both the login page I created and a login widget, both to no avail.

Even when I’m logged in as the admin and can edit pages/posts/etc, it’s still telling me on the website that I must be logged in to use the forums.

I have the forum settings set so that the default user role is “participant” and the general setttings set so the default user role is “contributor”. (Also to keep my forum up and running right now, I have it set so that anyone can post w/o registering, although I’d like to ultimately not use this method)

Does anyone have any clues on how to fix this?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• chuckingit
    Participant

@chuckingit

@fishmilk – i don’t have an answer to your question but i too have been experiencing similar strangeness thus i suspect there is a bug in bbPress with new users ..??.. i’m outlining my issue below incase our experiences are related ..??..

i’m running tests on a multisite network and had bbPress installed on a sub site … then i installed BuddyPress and did some testing and that is when i found strangeness with bbPress as follows …

when i logged into the sub site forums with a user that was added previously to the site, then all was fine … but if i tried to login as a subscriber to the network but not to that site, then i got a series of 404 errors with forums and topics not found … these links worked to a non logged in user, and worked to a logged in registered user added to the site and worked for the admin, and these links as hover overs even showed the correct permalink structure … yet when clicked on as logged in user registered to network and not to site, the permalinks were screwy – e.g., site.com/sub-site01/sub-site01/forum/topic-xyz .. thus a double sub-site01 was being added …

so then i turned off BuddyPress and still same thing … then i turned off bbPress network enabled and enabled only on subsite as original and same thing … then i changed the network settings so that the default login for that subsite was subscriber and ditto, same thing in that a user on a network would not be able to access the forums … the only way for the new user to access forums is if i go to that subsite as admin and manually add the subscriber … then it seems to work …

my next step is to delete all my MySQL tables and try this again … partly because along my path i test the Commons in a Box BuddyPress plugin and that network enabled bbPress automatically even though i had bbPress enabled on the sub site … never thought to check that first and so not sure if something got corrupted a bit or if indeed bbPress is having issue with new users on a network (e.g., especially, if they haven’t posted, or commented in advance ??)

looping back to your error messages … i saw some of the same ones during my path … once i disabled Commons in a Box, and repaired my forums, things seemed to come back online but i noticed that one of the avatars for my test log in subscribers was missing which leads me to believe there is possible table corruption on this end ..??..

chuckingit
    Participant

@chuckingit

just a follow up in that i did some additional testing on a live production site and confirmed bug behavior so i just submitted a bug ticket here ->

http://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2325#ticket

Have you tried turning on the “auto role” setting? That will auto assign them when they visit the site.

chuckingit
    Participant

@chuckingit

@Jared – WOW – that seemed to do the trick … THANK YOU … i will update my trac ticket … as fyi, part of me thinks forum permalinks should work with that option on or off but hey, it now works* with it set on so that is good enough for me … thanks again for pointer as this was driving me a bit nutty and driving me a bit towards “Now what did i do wrong … what do i no understand about flushing permalinks, configuring this yada yada” thus while my confidence might have dipped a bit during this testing experience, i am certainly grateful for helpful bbPress community and pros that nudge us forward for success results :>) cordially, chuck scott

*for others who might stumble on this thread – the working part means that now anybody who is on the network as a registered user, but not a member of a particular sub site that uses forums, with this option Jared mentions set to “on” said users when they log in to that sub site will see forums with working permalinks – in my case, they were treated as subscribers thus could not comment or create new forums …

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.