Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Piggyback onto bbPress user management

• My site currently does not have a user management system where people can register etc. I’m looking for a system to integrate that I can just piggyback off of and access the users table to do my own development.

Would bbPress be a good fit here? I played around with the code a little bit and I just included “bb-load.php” and I was able call functions like ” bb_get_current_user_info( ‘id’ )” without actually displaying anything related to the forum.

The only downside is that it added about .2 seconds to my average php render times.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think the WordPress user registration functions are more mature than bbPress. Maybe you could use that somehow?

The thing is that I’m the most interested in the forum functionality of bbPress and I don’t really care about the blog features of wordpress.

Would you not recommend using bbPress as the backend user system and forum for my site?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I didn’t catch that you were looking for a forum in your first post, only that you wanted the registration functions. If you want a forum and registration functions, then yes, bbPress will be fine.

Thanks for the response Chrishajer,

Would you recommend waiting until bbPress goes 1.0? I will be changing a lot of source so any upgrade in the future will probably be sort of a pain. I would like to integrate once and not have to worry about upgrading for awhile.

Thanks,

Ian

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you’re going to be modifying the source, there’s probably no sense in waiting. You’ll have to keep up with security fixes manually at that point anyway.

I don’t recommend modifying any core files. I bet most of what you want to do can be done with plugins and then you can keep upgrading as new bbPress releases come out.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar