Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Permalink Problem

• mintertweed
    Participant

@mintertweed

I don’t really know what this issue is called. I created several forums here and, for some odd reason, when I generate a new forum, it gives me a permalink with the name of the forum plus a number, like so: http://www.happynakedpeople.co/forums/forum/leaflet-2/. There is no other forum named Leaflet and I would like the permalink to be as clean as possible. When I try to change the permalink to just `/leaflet/` it defaults back to `/leaflet-2/`. Why is this?

I am using WordPress 3.5.1, bbPress 2.2.4, and my theme is built around Starkers 4.0.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

Do you have a version of ‘leaflet’ in the trash?

mintertweed
    Participant

@mintertweed

Nope. There was a forum named “leaflet” a while back, but I have since permanently deleted that board. And I have repeated this particular error several times. If you create a forum, then move it to trash, delete it permanently, and finally create a new board with the same name, it always gives it an integer, as if the previous board still exists. I even deactivated bbPress, removed it from WordPress, deleted the bbPress plugin folder with FileZilla, uploaded the newest bbPress, and all of my forums are still there somehow giving the same error. So, there is something keeping track of forums (even when you go to those lengths) and it doesn’t realize that particular forum has been deleted. Also, I have noticed another glitch. If I were to rename the permalink to `/leaflet/` and then I change my mind and rename it to something like `/leaflet-forum/` and then I finally decide to go back to the original permalink, it adds an integer even though there is no other board with that name and I have just been fiddling with the same forum this entire time. Very frustrating.

Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

If you create a forum, then move it to trash, delete it permanently, and finally create a new board with the same name, it always gives it an integer

No, I cannot reproduce this.

Also, I have noticed another glitch. If I were to rename the permalink to /leaflet/ and then I change my mind and rename it to something like /leaflet-forum/ and then I finally decide to go back to the original permalink, it adds an integer even though there is no other board with that name and I have just been fiddling with the same forum this entire time.

Again, I cannot reproduce this.

I even deactivated bbPress, removed it from WordPress, deleted the bbPress plugin folder with FileZilla, uploaded the newest bbPress, and all of my forums are still there somehow giving the same error. So, there is something keeping track of forums (even when you go to those lengths) and it doesn’t realize that particular forum has been deleted.

Even if you delete bbPress as you have ‘the data remains in the database’ and this is by design, if you want data deleted you must use bbPress (or a myPhpAdmin etc) to explicitly delete the data.

First thing go to your permalinks settings page and change your permalink settings, click save, then change them back to your original setting and save again. This should flush any of the rewrites going on with WordPress.

If it still doesn’t work try switching themes to Twenty Eleven’ and try again.

mintertweed
    Participant

@mintertweed

I did as you suggested for my permalinks, but it had no effect. I then activated “Twenty Eleven” as my theme and it is still doing it. So, it is not my original Starkers theme. Also, I went into phpMyAdmin and had a hard time finding the data that I need to delete (I am a little weary with that area because I am afraid I might delete something important). Any more suggestions? Thank you for your help thus far!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar