Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

OpenID support coming soon…

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I just wanted to announce I have a primitive prototype of OpenID working with bbPress and should have a more stable version for experimental testing within a few days (likely by the end of the weekend). The only requirement is your PHP needs CURL with https (ssl) support, which many servers have or can easily add ie. via cpanel’s rebuild PHP (check your PHPINFO to be certain).

I finally got an old openid 1.1 framework working with openid 2.0 so this makes it possible to use it with all the newest providers: aol, yahoo, microsoft and now even Google (as a “consumer”, not as a server).

The biggest problem was making it work without extra libraries like the complex math support and even DOMXML which is not available on many shared hosting PHP4 servers. But found a way around that too ;-) I’ll eventually add fsockopen support with ssl so even CURL is not a requirement.

ps. OpenID on WordPress.com needs to be fixed to offer a secure login when a cookie is not present like every other provider. This is annoying :-(

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Good work! While Sxipper works fine for me having openID built in is great. Keep up the good work.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Anyone willing to give an early version a test for compatibility?

There is no account creation feature yet but you can attach OpenID identities to any existing account, and then login with the OpenID instead of your regular bbPress login (the regular login remains intact).

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I will try it out. You have my email if you need to send the plugin via email.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I’ve now made the early 0.0.1 alpha public:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/openid

wilcosky
    Participant

@wilcosky

Google doesn’t seem to be working. If I use google.com as my open ID I get an invalid page from Google. Has Google changed their format since this plugin was made?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I just posted a fix, update to 0.0.3 when you see it.

wilcosky
    Participant

@wilcosky

Thanks, the update works!

wilcosky
    Participant

@wilcosky

new issue… when I login using an OpenID, for some reason it is going into an infinite loop and the browser gives me an error. Why would it be doing this?

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Please check the plugin page for my fix on that (and please stop bumping this topic).

Facebook also it will be good

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

@_ck_: Have you thought about using the WP_HTTP class instead of relying on curl directly? It detects for multiple available transports to make remote requests.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Actually this topic is very old and the openid plugin has been out for some time now.

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/openid/

In most of my plugins I use curl with a fallback to a solid fsockopen routine I wrote awhile back that works well. I can’t remember if I have it in openid.

I avoid api as much as possible because of how they tend to change and break my plugins ;-)

Plus you learn nothing when you just use someone else’s black box…

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar