Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Newby a little lost

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

yes, you should be able to just have the index.

Check out

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

and if that doesn’t directly help, come back with how you are set up – ie what does menu take you to, what is in that link/post/page/category etc.

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

I initially set up up the forum using 3. Method 1 – but ‘postname’ wasn’t an option, so I tried Method 2.

Not sure what you mean by ‘what does menu take you to’ isn’t that the link I sent?

Also, what do you mean by ‘what is in that link/post/page/category etc.’?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I’m a complete beginner!

Robin W

@robin-w

please don’t apologise, I was writing quickly, and should have phrased it better. I’m just trying to work your hierarchy out !

As far as I can see your menu correctly takes you to a page you have set up called forum which has [bbp-forum-index]

yes?

This then links to a ‘forum’ you have set up either as a forum or as a category or a page, but not sure which, so it is this flow from one to another that I am trying to figure.

if you can help by listing this eg

menu goes to page with [bbp-forum-index] which takes you to a forum called ‘forum’ which is set up as a category etc. etc.

Yes?

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Would it help if I gave you the admin details (if so is there a way I can send this privately)?

Robin W

@robin-w

No, it is part of forum rules that we don’t get involved in access to individual sites.

But if you come back with the info, then I’ll try to help further

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

OK, I’ll do my best…

question 1) yes it does take me to a page with a forum on it. However I have to click on ‘Forum’ again to see the actual forum

question 2) how can I help you with listing this – ie: is there anything in the ‘page-source’ that would help?

question 3) Looking at the dashboard, under Forums – I have two entries:
    1) is called Forums and is set up as a Type: ‘Forum’, Status: Open, Visibility: Public, Parent: no parent, order: 0
    Permalink shows as http://thesaabenthusiasts.co.uk/Forum/forum/forum/
    2) is called – category test and is set up as Type: Category, Status: Open, Visibility: Public, Parent: Forum, order: 0

If there’s any other info I can send you, just let me know…

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I think you basically have forums and categories a bit mixed.

Forums tend to belong to categories, rather than as you have, so I would get rid of the forum called “forums”

Then change the ‘Category test’ category to have no parent

Then set up a forum called forum 1, and put it’s parent as ‘category test’
    Then set up a forum called forum 2, and put it’s parent as ‘category test’
    Then set up a forum called forum 3, and put it’s parent as ‘none’

You should now be able to click the menu and see category test with 2 forums belonging to it, and a 3rd forum that exists in it’s own right.

Do you intent to have more than one forum, or just one forum with all topics in that?

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Thanks for the help – I’ll give that a go…

Yes, just the one forum, with several categories (hope I’m calling it the right thing) with several topics within each category.

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Just tried as you suggested…

http://thesaabenthusiasts.co.uk/forums/

And I must have something setup wrong. Could it be down to ‘permalinks’?

Robin W

@robin-w

No that (apart from the fact that you did forum 2 twice!) is exactly what I expected to see.

Now categories are areas where you group forums together, but categories have no topics inside them, they are just a “header” if you like.

Forums have topics, and forums can also have sub forums again with topics.

So I think for what you want, you should just have several forums (like forum 3) with no parents, then they will list straight away in your forum tab, and stop that extra click that you wanted rid of.

Come back if that is not clear

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

OK, I think I’m getting there…

Another thing I can’t figure out… the Forum ‘homepage’ is full width, but how do I make all other pages (ie: as you start opening up topics etc.) full width too?

Robin W

@robin-w

You nee to get bbpress to use a full width page template

see

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

A category can have multiple forums, a forum can not have multiple categories.

Forums can have sub-forums, so the hierarchy goes like this:

Category : transportation
    Forum : Trains
    Subforum : My favorite train

Category : transportation
    Forum : cars
    Subforum : Who Likes Mini’s anyway?

You could create a menu in “appearances => menus”
    Add your category to the menu, save and use “manage locations” to add your new menu instead of the default menu.

That menu link should bring you on a page showing a list of your forums!

If you want to land directly on a forum’s page you add a forum link (instead of category) to your menu and repeat previous steps.

That is how I create my current theme http://www.cultivators-forum.com

good luck
    P.H.

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

I’m getting there with the full width thing (still a funny gap on the left on the following pages).

Now I’d like to know how anyone registers to join the forum? Going on the forum page as an anonymous user, I can’t see anywhere to register or log in – any ideas?

Robin W

@robin-w

Now you’ve got it full width, you may decide that actually you want a sidebar, but one for your forum that includes logon, register etc.

see

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Thanks for the link, I’ve gone through the process several times, adding the widgets etc. but the sidebar isn’t showing. Do I have to change the format (ie: NOT full page) in order to see the sidebar?

Robin W

@robin-w

‘Do I have to change the format (ie: NOT full page) in order to see the sidebar?’

Yes !

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Don’t suppose there’s a sample bbpress forum that can be imported into one’s own bbpress pages is there?

I know one-size fits all wouldn’t work as everyone wants different things, but if there was a few to choose from, it would help complete newby’s (like myself)!

Off to re-read section 8 on how to setup page width, I’m sure after ten read-through’s it might start making sense to me (can’t remember how I got to go to full page)!?

I will persevere!

Robin W

@robin-w

I suspect you got to full width by creating a page called forums and putting
    [bbp-forum-index] in it.

You would then have set this page to full width on the right hand side of the page where it says template !

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Nice one – thanks for that. If I set it the template to default, that should work?

I’m having ‘fun’ with my child-theme setup at the moment, so can’t experiment at the mo.

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

OK, I’ve got a custom sidebar on the first page of the forum, but when you click on a link in the forum, the side bar disappears – is that correct?

Also, how do I turn off the comments section underneath the forum?

Thank you.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so we’re back to setting the default template that bbpress uses, but this time to one with a sidebar

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Sorry if I’m being a pain!

I’ve tried Step 8 and now have a sidebar – thank you!

However, any reason for the large space on the left of the forum panel?

kowarler
    Participant

@kowarler

Just to be clear, here is the index page…

http://thesaabenthusiasts.co.uk/forums/

if I click on a forum link – I get this layout

http://thesaabenthusiasts.co.uk/Forum/forum/category-test/

any idea what could be causing this?

Robin W

@robin-w

It will almost certainly be your theme.

I had a quick look but couldn’t work out quite what it was doing at that point.

Since I think you have the scope theme, maybe check on their support forum, as have paid for support and access.

http://www.themezilla.com/support/forum/wordpress-themes/scope/

and search for bbpress as a start – there may well be a simple solution.

If not then put a support topic on their site, and come back and tell us what they said

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar