Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Top
Bottom

Language file isn't working


  • gregfielding
    Participant

    @gregfielding

    For some reason my language file isn’t taking…

    I’ve used poedit to edit bbpress.pot and have created bbpress.po and bbpress.mo files which I have moved here:

    /public_html/testingbaret/wp-content/languages/bbpress/bbpress.po

    But the changes aren’t showing. Any ideas?

    Here is the forum… http://www.testingbaret.com/questions/ask-your-questions/

    Thanks!

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • What happens if you name them bbpress-en-US.po & bbpress-en-US.mo


    gregfielding
    Participant

    @gregfielding

    Good thought… but I just tried it and it doesn’t make a difference.

    Ok… Maybe define en-US in wp-config.php `define (‘WPLANG’, ‘en-US’);`

    That might lead to other issues with the rest of your site though not having en-US for WordPress

    Another option, although I don’t think this will works anymore is to upload them to /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/languages/


    gregfielding
    Participant

    @gregfielding

    Doesn’t work.

    Are there better instructions anywhere for where to upload the file and what to rename it? (if bbpress.po isn’t what it’s supposed to be)


    gregfielding
    Participant

    @gregfielding

    Maybe the language file isn’t what I’m looking for. What I really want to accomplish is renaming “topics” to “questions” and so on.

    And, I’ve got multiple websites running below my root. If I change the config file there will be all kinds of trouble.

    I’m wondering if I am simply naming the files wrong. The original is bbpress.pot. I named my revisions as bbpress.po and bbpress.mo.

    Is this wrong perhaps?


    gregfielding
    Participant

    @gregfielding

    I tried defining the language in wp-config. It had no effect.

    So, to summarize… I’ve tried calling renaming my files bbpress.po & .mo and bbpress-en-US.po & .mo, I’ve tried them in /wp-content/languages/bbpress/ and in /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/languages/ folders, and I’ve tried define (‘WPLANG’, ‘en-US’); in config.php.

    Is there anything else I can try? The instructions linked above were for changing languages completely and I’m not looking to do that. I just want to relabel a bunch of the wording, changing “topics” to “questions” and so on.

    Anyone know of anything else I can do to make that work?

    Thanks!


    Norm
    Participant

    @casualmagic

    I just got it to work. I needed to rename items similar to @gregfielding.

    1. edit the file bbpress.pot file in poedit.
    2. create the folder “bbpress” in the wordpress content languages folder. Make the languages folder if you need to so your path looks like this: wp-content/languages/bbpress
    3. save the edited bbpress.pot file as bbpress-en_US.po
    4. upload the created po and mo files to the bbpress folder in lanugaes. reset your cashe to see it working

    Greg it looks like you were close but you have a dash instead of an underscore in the filename. I’m assuming the filename is also case sensitive.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.