Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Force all users to be subscribed to everything automatically

• Shane Pitman

@shane-pitman

I’m running bbpress 1.0.2 for a small group. I’ve been asked to make it so that all current and future users are automatically subscribed to everything, and would have to unsubscribe from anything they didn’t want to receive notification of. I’m using the plugin Subscribe to Topic Version 0.0.6 by _ck_ to manage subscribing now, which would allow them to unsubscribe, but I’m looking for a way to make it so that all exiting users are subbed to everything and for any new users to be subbed to everything when they are added. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Instead send am email to everyone on each post. It would be easy to add the email function on a hook which works just after posting.

Please do it then. I got spamblocked for having sent out a mass email to all my members.

Theres no way around this. We need this function tell all members something.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

[deleted: realised who i was replying to, sorry]

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Please do it then. I got spamblocked for having sent out a mass email to all my members.

A couple of months ago I wrote:

“I mean that you will likely be banned. You should hire an email marketing service. “

and then you replied:

“Thats the stupidest advice I have gotten in all of 2010. “

It seems that my advice wasn’t that stupid.

Yes it was, and still is stupid.

There was things I could have done much better, but the absolute best thing, would be if you could do this with BBPress.

Shane Pitman

@shane-pitman

I didn’t mean to start a war. I’m just looking for a solution. The board I’m talking about is small, 52 users, closed to registrations, and I’m not really worried about it getting blacklisted for spamming.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

There was things I could have done much better

for sure man. Mass email = 99.998% flagged as spam.

The only way to avoid been flagged as spam is to send the notifications into batches that by default are no more than 50 addresses per email like what happens in the “Mass Email” functionality of phpBB. (addendum: a lot of hosts allow you to only send X email per hour.)

I have built a lot of newsletter-like server-side software that sends the newsletter out to X of them every Y minutes using a cron job, with X and Y adjusted from host to host.

Right now there isn’t a plugin that provide this functionality but it can be easily achieved as ashfame suggested but you need some PHP+bbPress knowledge to code what you want.

Shane Pitman

@shane-pitman

I saw ashame’s suggestion, but I’m afraid I don’t know enough about bbpress to manage that. I’m not opposed to paying someone to get this problem solved.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Shane, if you would like to talk to someone about having this work done for you, please post your contact information here and then we will close the topic and people can contact you directly. Thanks.

If you’d like to contact Ashfame, you can do so at his website:

http://blog.ashfame.com/bbpress/

Shane Pitman

@shane-pitman

Feel free to close this topic. I contacted Ashfame directly and he has provided me with exactly what I was looking for, and in a most timely manner! Thank you to all, and especially to Ashfame!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar