Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress Plugin – bbp-twentyten theme

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

A few people have expressed concerns about the growing number of template files included with the bbp-twentyten theme. Not counting CSS/JS/Images, we’re up to 32 individual template files to handle forums, topics, replies, loops, forms, users, and pagination. These concerns are totally valid, but mostly unavoidable.

The goal for bbp-twentyten is for it to be as simple to understand as possible without tons of proprietary functions or complex logic to figure out. To do that, we’ve split some of the files into ‘parts’ that focus on specific functionalities. Some of this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense right now because of lack of documentation, and it uses functions that are new to WordPress as of 3.0, but I’m confident it’s the best way to go.

When I think back to my beginning days of learning WordPress, a lot of what I did was butcher Kubrick and make my own frankentheme. I’m trying to keep that in mind here. Since the first place people naturally make changes is on the front end of their site, this theme should make that really easy to do.

We also have an empty folder for a theme named ‘bbp-default’ which will more than likely be a full-featured theme that flexes a bit more bbPress muscle.

I think when bbPress has more eyes on the code and more developers start integrating forum files into their themes, we’ll see some really neat things start to happen.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

• Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

Oh that (all of the above) sounds like me from the other day! :)

John James Jacoby: […] we’re up to 32 individual template files […]

Man alive I didn’t think we had that many?!?!?!?!?

John James Jacoby: […] to be as simple to understand as possible without tons of proprietary functions or complex logic to figure out. To do that, we’ve split some of the files into ‘parts’ that focus on specific functionalities. Some of this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense right now because of lack of documentation […]

I agree with (and like) the idea to split some of the files into ‘parts’ as you put it JJJ which has already been done, and yes the documentation might not be there right now, but I don’t think that’s the main ‘problem’ here if we can call it that?

While I don’t has access to a demo, either locally or online that’s fully up-to-date it makes it hard to comment on some of the newer stuff committed, after my PC decided it didn’t want to be a PC anymore!

John James Jacoby: We also have an empty folder for a theme named ‘bbp-default’ which will more than likely be a full-featured theme that flexes a bit more bbPress muscle.

In my eyes, it’ll be interesting to see how this will differ from ‘bbp-twentyten’ but I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong and all that! — But while Twenty Ten is still the default theme for WordPress, I think it’s fair to say ‘bbp-twentyten’ still has to flex the bbPress muscle too? ;)

John James Jacoby: I think when bbPress has more eyes on the code and more developers start integrating forum files into their themes, we’ll see some really neat things start to happen.

Yes more eyes would go down a treat, and I do believe developers will become more interested one all the basic core is complete, and they can see the best way of theming a particular area for example?

Until then though, if we could get the Developer Chats up and running again I think it’d help a lot of people voice an opinion on certain areas, setup the equivalent of WPDEVEL but for bbPress on bbPress.org right from the start. Plus as another thought, maybe some blog posts / forum posts similar to whats done on WordPress.org for people to leave feedback and/or requests! :D

JJJ, you know my thoughts, I’ve probably left them all over the place but who cares … you’ve got them one way or another! Another ‘key player’ who I’d say was very interested in the bbPress Plugin is Justin Tadlock, and as a Theme Man himself, (I might be wrong) but his thoughts into the whole templates for ‘bbp-twentyten’ or indeed any theme, would be very much appreciated by all?

#overandout

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

Oh that (all of the above) sounds like me from the other day! :)

John James Jacoby: […] we’re up to 32 individual template files […]

Man alive I didn’t think we had that many?!?!?!?!?

John James Jacoby: […] to be as simple to understand as possible without tons of proprietary functions or complex logic to figure out. To do that, we’ve split some of the files into ‘parts’ that focus on specific functionalities. Some of this doesn’t make a whole lot of sense right now because of lack of documentation […]

I agree with (and like) the idea to split some of the files into ‘parts’ as you put it JJJ which has already been done, and yes the documentation might not be there right now, but I don’t think that’s the main ‘problem’ here if we can call it that?

While I don’t has access to a demo, either locally or online that’s fully up-to-date it makes it hard to comment on some of the newer stuff committed, after my PC decided it didn’t want to be a PC anymore!

John James Jacoby: We also have an empty folder for a theme named ‘bbp-default’ which will more than likely be a full-featured theme that flexes a bit more bbPress muscle.

In my eyes, it’ll be interesting to see how this will differ from ‘bbp-twentyten’ but I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong and all that! — But while Twenty Ten is still the default theme for WordPress, I think it’s fair to say ‘bbp-twentyten’ still has to flex the bbPress muscle too? ;)

John James Jacoby: I think when bbPress has more eyes on the code and more developers start integrating forum files into their themes, we’ll see some really neat things start to happen.

Yes more eyes would go down a treat, and I do believe developers will become more interested one all the basic core is complete, and they can see the best way of theming a particular area for example?

Until then though, if we could get the Developer Chats up and running again I think it’d help a lot of people voice an opinion on certain areas, setup the equivalent of WPDEVEL but for bbPress on bbPress.org right from the start. Plus as another thought, maybe some blog posts / forum posts similar to whats done on WordPress.org for people to leave feedback and/or requests! :D

JJJ, you know my thoughts, I’ve probably left them all over the place but who cares … you’ve got them one way or another! Another ‘key player’ who I’d say was very interested in the bbPress Plugin is Justin Tadlock, and as a Theme Man himself, (I might be wrong) but his thoughts into the whole templates for ‘bbp-twentyten’ or indeed any theme, would be very much appreciated by all?

#overandout

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

setup the equivalent of WPDEVEL but for bbPress

We already have bbpdevel.wordpress.com – though that’s not active.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

setup the equivalent of WPDEVEL but for bbPress

We already have bbpdevel.wordpress.com – though that’s not active.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

32… sounds like phpBB

http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/forum/ is kept fairly update and when you register you get access to almost everything to show what’s available etc. however, there are a few bugs because it is running 3.0.4, when 3.1 is released I’ll be updating then (I don’t want it on the nightlies).

I’ve mentioned theming to my other ‘alf, but no point in starting until things have settled down. But with all these different files, I think it is even more important that action/filters be included from the off for plugin developers to hook into!

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

32… sounds like phpBB

http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/forum/ is kept fairly update and when you register you get access to almost everything to show what’s available etc. however, there are a few bugs because it is running 3.0.4, when 3.1 is released I’ll be updating then (I don’t want it on the nightlies).

I’ve mentioned theming to my other ‘alf, but no point in starting until things have settled down. But with all these different files, I think it is even more important that action/filters be included from the off for plugin developers to hook into!

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

Gautam: We already have bbpdevel.wordpress.com – though that’s not active.

Which is why I said “[…] but for bbPress on bbPress.org right from the start” which is the route WordPress are going to go down with make.wordpress.org/code as bbPress would probably take that route too, so do it from the off! :)

Rich Pedley: http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/forum/ is kept fairly update and when you register you get access to almost everything to show what’s available etc.

I forgot about your site Rich, signed up, but ideally wanted to take a look at all the stuff you can’t see right now! :( All the back-end administration coolness!

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

Gautam: We already have bbpdevel.wordpress.com – though that’s not active.

Which is why I said “[…] but for bbPress on bbPress.org right from the start” which is the route WordPress are going to go down with make.wordpress.org/code as bbPress would probably take that route too, so do it from the off! :)

Rich Pedley: http://wordpress.elfden.co.uk/forum/ is kept fairly update and when you register you get access to almost everything to show what’s available etc.

I forgot about your site Rich, signed up, but ideally wanted to take a look at all the stuff you can’t see right now! :( All the back-end administration coolness!

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Mark McWilliams

Just DM me your email id and I’ll mail you your user/pass of my test forums.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Mark McWilliams

Just DM me your email id and I’ll mail you your user/pass of my test forums.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

@Mark – test again ;)

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

@Mark – test again ;)

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

As a sidenote to the original topic! …

Rich Pedley: @Mark – test again ;)

Thanks for that Rich, you can see I’m having a little nose around, and thanks for the offer Gautam — Even started talking to myself, and trying out other stuff too! :P

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

As a sidenote to the original topic! …

Rich Pedley: @Mark – test again ;)

Thanks for that Rich, you can see I’m having a little nose around, and thanks for the offer Gautam — Even started talking to myself, and trying out other stuff too! :P

Chip Bennett
    Participant

@chipbennett

Thanks for the update, John and Gautam!

As I am anxious to convert my existing stand-alone bbPress installation to the new WP-plugin version, I expect to start testing (and porting over my existing bbPress Theme) once the Plugin hits beta.

I’m curious about template tags, functions, and documentation. Are the existing template tags and functions from the stand-alone version used in the Plugin version, or have you developed all-new tags/functions?

Also, as I remember, part of the biggest problem with the stand-alone version was the lack of documentation. So (in all my free time…) I’ll do what I can to pitch in for documentation with the Plugin version.

Chip Bennett
    Participant

@chipbennett

Thanks for the update, John and Gautam!

As I am anxious to convert my existing stand-alone bbPress installation to the new WP-plugin version, I expect to start testing (and porting over my existing bbPress Theme) once the Plugin hits beta.

I’m curious about template tags, functions, and documentation. Are the existing template tags and functions from the stand-alone version used in the Plugin version, or have you developed all-new tags/functions?

Also, as I remember, part of the biggest problem with the stand-alone version was the lack of documentation. So (in all my free time…) I’ll do what I can to pitch in for documentation with the Plugin version.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Chip Bennett

Thank you! One major thing that has changed is the prefix of the functions. Instead of bb_, it is bbp_. The functions names are easy to guess like bbp_forum_title, bbp_topic_title, bbp_topic_reply_count etc. We don’t have post – that has been split into topic and reply. Though post is used to refer to topic and reply both in some functions like bbp_fix_post_author(), but that’s a couple of functions only. Like the standalone, WP, BP, etc there are 2 versions of the same function – one that echoes and one that returns so you’d have bbp_topic_content, bbp_get_topic_content etc.

Right, there is a great need for the documentation. We’ve tried our best to have upto date inline documentation (phpDocs) in place.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

@Chip Bennett

Thank you! One major thing that has changed is the prefix of the functions. Instead of bb_, it is bbp_. The functions names are easy to guess like bbp_forum_title, bbp_topic_title, bbp_topic_reply_count etc. We don’t have post – that has been split into topic and reply. Though post is used to refer to topic and reply both in some functions like bbp_fix_post_author(), but that’s a couple of functions only. Like the standalone, WP, BP, etc there are 2 versions of the same function – one that echoes and one that returns so you’d have bbp_topic_content, bbp_get_topic_content etc.

Right, there is a great need for the documentation. We’ve tried our best to have upto date inline documentation (phpDocs) in place.

is this for real.. hope i could get this!

is this for real.. hope i could get this!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar