Categories
Search
Bottom

bbPress 2.1 – Theme Compatibility

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You posted, I listened.

Version 2 of bbPress’s theme compatibility is now in the 2.1 plugin branch of code for your perusal. This second iteration removes the need to add current_theme_support() to your theme, and totally automates the process.

If your child or parent theme contains the template files that bbPress looks for, bbPress will use them. If not, bbPress will fall back on it’s default templates and styling. No more logic necessary.

Please test it. It’s new code with a new approach, so I’d like to get some fresh eyes on things right away to avoid a long beta period like 2.0 had.

Cheers!

Viewing 14 replies - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

How can i disable HTML and/or VISUAL editor? (2.1 plugin version)

Have you tried Settings > Forum? :)

Unless you’re talking about conditionally toggling the mode, in which case you’re on your own to build that as a plugin, similar to WordPress.

Nahum

@nahummadrid

Great job so far. I had posted a question, but I found the answer. So I’ve edited this post. Can’t wait to see the BP integration for a user profile tab for forum activity. Thanks

So when is the official non developer version coming out?

I hope as soon as possible, its 97% sooo..:)

{A note of my research work while trying to build a template for use with Thesis.}

So just for the record, if you want to have a full standalone theme which won’t use any of the default templates of bbPress then you need to have at least one template for each of the sections below. Should be about 10 templates if I did the math right.

//Single User Edit
    'single-user-edit-' . $nicename . '.php', // Single User Edt nicename
    'single-user-edit-' . $user_id . '.php', // Single User Edit ID
    'single-user-edit.php', // Single User Edit
    'user-edit.php', // User Edit
    'user.php', // User

//Single User
    'single-user-' . $nicename . '.php', // Single User nicename
    'single-user-' . $user_id . '.php', // Single User ID
    'single-user.php', // Single User
    'user.php', // User

//Single View
    'single-view-' . $view_id . '.php', // Single View ID
    'view-' . $view_id . '.php', // View ID
    'single-view.php', // Single View
    'view.php', // View

//Single Forum Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '-edit.php', // Single Forum Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '.php', // Single Forum

//Single Forum
    'single-' . bbp_get_forum_post_type() . '.php' // Single Forum

//Forum Archive
    'archive-' . bbp_get_forum_post_type() . '.php' // Forum Archive

//Topic Merge
    'single-' . $post_type . '-merge.php', // Topic Merge

//Topic Split
    'single-' . $post_type . '-split.php', // Topic Split

//Topic Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '-edit.php', // Single Topic Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '.php', // Single Topic

//Single Topic
    'single-' . bbp_get_topic_post_type() . '.php'

//Topic Archive
    'archive-' . bbp_get_topic_post_type() . '.php' // Topic Archive

//Reply Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '-edit.php', // Single Reply Edit
    'single-' . $post_type . '.php', // Single Reply

//Single reply
    'single-' . bbp_get_reply_post_type() . '.php'

//Topic tag edit
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_slug() . '-edit.php', // Single Topic Tag Edit slug
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_tax_id() . '-edit.php', // Single Topic Tag Edit ID
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_slug() . '.php', // Single Topic Tag slug
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_tax_id() . '.php', // Single Topic Tag ID

//Topic tag
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_slug() . '.php', // Single Topic Tag slug
    'taxonomy-' . bbp_get_topic_tag_tax_id() . '.php', // Single Topic Tag ID

very nice

download music Download music, movie and every things.

I’m having trouble with the new “group forums” feature in bbPress 2.1. Can someone looks into this:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-21-cant-do-anything-except-for-posting-a-topic-reply-in-group-forum

your post is really nice.

http://www.momentumblades.com/

I like the direction you are going with bbpress. I’m implementing it for the support forum for my new theme shop.

In my test environment with all error reporting on, I’m getting some notices from WP core on forum pages.

** Note – I’m using WP 3.4 RC3 ***

Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /PATH/wp-includes/general-template.php on line 1384 Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /PATH/wp-includes/post-template.php on line 30 Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /PATH/wp-includes/comment-template.php on line 776

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

I’ve copied the contents of wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten into my Suffusion child theme which resides at wp-content/themes/bsig

It is still however pulling the bbpress.css from wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-theme-compat/css

It also doesn’t appear to be using my customized templates. I’ve tried most every step I can find online to try and resolve this, but it hasn’t worked so far.

http://blindscribblings.com/forum – The forums are squished to the right and my sidebar on the bottom and empty space to the right.

If I use a shortcode then the index looks fine, but the sub-forums and threads have the same problem. Here is an example with a shortcode.

http://blindscribblings.com/test/

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

The layout issue appears to be with the theme. It is adding 275px of padding for the sidebar twice on the forum template pages. Even if I replace page.php in my child theme with a no sidebar template, it is still happening. I think that is a CSS issue I’ll have to fix myself.

However, wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-theme-compat/css/bbpress.css loading in addition to the bbpress.css in my theme appears to be a bug as far as I can tell. I’ll file a ticket in Trac.

For accessibility, a mixture of the two approaches tables vs. lists would have been the optimum. And maybe that’s still pssible to do?

My suggestion would be this:

1. On the forums overview page, where there are forums, topics in each forum, etc., a table is the appropriate form to use. It has column headers, and each row consists of a data record AKA a single forum. For this, a data table, wsemantically a table with appropriate tags, is indeed the correct way to go! Not all tables are bad per se!

2. Same goes for the listings of topics within each forum. These have column headers, too, and each row tells the story about each topic. A perfectly legal and sanctioned use of tables!

3. The only part where a table is not appropriate for usage is when displaying a single topic with its replies. The TwentyTen bbPress theme definitely uses a data table semantics for layout purposes here, e. g. grouping a reply header, content, and footer together in a way that is clearly meant for layout. There are no column headers, and not every row tells a story about a single post. Instead, a post spans multiple rows, each with different information. This is what accessibility folks call layout tables, and these are banned by the W3C and hated passionately by each screen reader user on this planet. Topics and replies lump together in a big spaghetti-like table without a real distinction where one post ends and the next begins.

Converting this to more appropriate markup was the right thing to do. Converting the forums and topics listings, was not. A list item is a list item, and not a column header or table cell. In data tables, browsers’ accessibility APIs can create correct linkage between a column header and the relating cell down in the table. The user can therefore hear if the number they’re hearing is the number of voices, replies, the title or what. If these are done by lists as it is now, there is no way on this planet that this kind of essential linkage can be provided. There is simply no technique to do this.

I would like to strongly request, and I will also put this in a Trac ticket, that the bbt-compat files be adjusted so that forum listings and topic listings use a regular data table as they do in TwentyTen, and that the single reply and topic page be kept as the updated version that’s there now.

In fact, this very support forum uses the exact right combination of things! Why it differs from what will be in 2.1 if things aren’t changed, I don’t know.

This is an urgent plea to consider making these changes for better accessibility of 2.1!

Marco

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Marco – thanks for the feedback. No reason to double post this. Trac is plenty fine.

enderandrew
    Participant

@enderandrew

The bbpress.css loading twice issue has been resolved!

Viewing 14 replies - 51 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar