Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

“Access denied for user” during install?

• ericakadisco

@ericakadisco

I am installing bbPress to integrate with an existing WordPress. After the second step of install I get this error:

Second Step

Now we’re going to create the database tables and fill them with some
    default data.

bbPress database error: [Access denied for user 'disco'@'localhost' to
    database 'approachanxiety_com_bbpress2']
    SHOW TABLES;

bbPress database error: [Access denied for user 'disco'@'localhost' to
    database 'approachanxiety_com_bbpress2']
    CREATE TABLE bb_forums....

It seems to be similar to this post,

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/step-two-database-error?replies=4

And this one,

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/db-access-problem-in-the-first-installation-step?replies=19

I tried to resolve it by replacing db-mysqli.php with db.php in the bb-includes folder and that didn’t work.

The username and password are correct. They are the same as for my original wordpress blog. And the database is correct as well. When I change it to something else I can’t even get to the second step.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• ericakadisco

@ericakadisco

Also, using a test script, I entered the same database information that’s in my bbpress config.php file and I can successfully connect to my database. The user, Disco, is the default user and is database administrator so there’s no reason why I should get access denied.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I think if you post the config.php and the test script with connection details, someone will be able to help. Seems like a simple connection issue, assuming you followed the instructions in the other post you found.

Rather than replacing db-mysqli.php with db.php, did you try to apply the patch attached to this ticket?

https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/745

ericakadisco

@ericakadisco

Thanks for the response.

Okay, I tried to patch all the files with the changes in that ticket and I seem to get the same error.

Here is my config.php:

<?php

// ** MySQL settings ** //
    define('BBDB_NAME', 'approachanxiety_com_bbpress'); // The name of the database
    define('BBDB_USER', 'disco'); // Your MySQL username
    define('BBDB_PASSWORD', 'xxxx'); // ...and password
    define('BBDB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change these last few

define('BBDB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); // If you are *upgrading*, and your old config.php does
    define('BBDB_COLLATE', ''); // not have these two contstants in them, DO NOT define them
    // If you are installing for the first time, leave them here

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.
    $bb_table_prefix = 'bb_'; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!

// The full URL of your bbPress install
    $bb->uri = 'http://approachanxiety.com/bbpress/';

// What are you going to call me?
    $bb->name = 'New bbPress Site';

// This must be set before you run the install script.
    $bb->admin_email = 'ericmonse@yahoo.com';

// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks, set to 'slugs' if you want to use slug based pretty permalinks.
    $bb->mod_rewrite = false;

// The number of topics that show on each page.
    $bb->page_topics = 30;

// A user can edit a post for this many minutes after submitting.
    $bb->edit_lock = 60;

// Your timezone offset. Example: -7 for Pacific Daylight Time.
    $bb->gmt_offset = 0;

// Change this to localize bbPress. A corresponding MO file for the
    // chosen language must be installed to bb-includes/languages.
    // For example, install de.mo to bb-includes/languages and set BBLANG to 'de'
    // to enable German language support.
    define('BBLANG', '');

// Your Akismet Key. You do not need a key to run bbPress, but if you want to take advantage
    // of Akismet's powerful spam blocking, you'll need one. You can get an Akismet key at
    // http://wordpress.com/api-keys/
    $bb->akismet_key = ''; // Example: '0123456789ab'

// The rest is only useful if you are integrating bbPress with WordPress.
    // If you're not, just leave it as it is.

$bb->wp_table_prefix = ''; // WordPress table prefix. Example: 'wp_';
    $bb->wp_home = ''; // WordPress - Options->General: Blog address (URL) // Example: 'http://example.com'
    $bb->wp_siteurl = ''; // WordPress - Options->General: WordPress address (URL) // Example: 'http://example.com'

/* Stop editing */

if ( !defined('BBPATH') )
    define('BBPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/' );
    require_once( BBPATH . 'bb-settings.php' );

?>

When I run the testdb.php I get

Connection Results

Connection: Successful!

Database Selection: Successful!

Enter Your MySQL Information

MySQL Hostname localhost

MySQL Username disco

MySQL Password xxxx

MySQL Database approachanxiety_com_bbpress

Here is the text php file that connects to the database and works:

<html>
    <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <title>MySQL Test Script</title>
    <style>
    body { font-family: Verdana; font-size: 10pt; }
    td { font-size: 10pt; }
    th { font-size: 8pt; }
    </style>
    </head>
    <body>

<?php

if ( isset ( $_POST['submit'] ) ) {
    ?>
    <table border="1" summary="" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse;">
    <tr>
    <th bgcolor="#F2F2F2" colspan="2"><center><b>Connection Results</b></center></td>
    </tr>
    <?

if (!$link = @mysql_connect($_POST['mysql_hostname'], $_POST['mysql_username'], $_POST['mysql_password'])) {
    ?>
    <tr>
    <td>Connection:</td>
    <td bgcolor="red"><font color="white"><?php echo mysql_error(); ?></font></td>
    </tr>
    <?
    } else {
    ?>
    <tr>
    <td>Connection:</td>
    <td bgcolor="green"><font color="white">Successful!</font></td>
    </tr>
    <?
    }

if (!$dblink = @mysql_select_db($_POST['mysql_database'], $link)) {
    ?>
    <tr>
    <td>Database Selection:</td>
    <td bgcolor="red"><font color="white"><?php echo mysql_error(); ?></font></td>
    </tr>
    <?
    } else {
    ?>
    <tr>
    <td>Database Selection:</td>
    <td bgcolor="green"><font color="white">Successful!</font></td>
    </tr>
    <?
    }

@mysql_close($link);
    ?>
    </table>
    <?
    }

?>

<form method="post">

<table border="1" summary="" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" style="border-collapse: collapse;">
    <tr>
    <th bgcolor="#F2F2F2" colspan="2"><center><b>Enter Your MySQL Information</b></center></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>MySQL Hostname</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="mysql_hostname" size="40" value="<?php echo $_POST['mysql_hostname']; ?>"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>MySQL Username</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="mysql_username" size="40" value="<?php echo $_POST['mysql_username']; ?>"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>MySQL Password</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="mysql_password" size="40" value="<?php echo $_POST['mysql_password']; ?>"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>MySQL Database</td>
    <td><input type="text" name="mysql_database" size="40" value="<?php echo $_POST['mysql_database']; ?>"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2"><center><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Submit"> <input type="reset" name="reset" value="Reset"></center></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>

</body>
    </html>

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I have no idea what the problem is, but this right here is a funny 404 page:

http://approachanxiety.com/404.htm

This database is listed in the first error:

approachanxiety_com_bbpress2

But you are connecting to approachanxiety_com_bbpress in the second example. Was that changed along the way?

And you said you’re integrating with WordPress, but are you using a different database (i.e. why approachanxiety_com_bbpress if it’s an existing WP database?)

Not sure what it is yet, but I am curious.

ericakadisco

@ericakadisco

Hey Chris,

I had created a second bbpress database called bbpress2 to see if that was the problem, which it wasn’t. The error message is an older one. The one I’m getting now is in reference to bbpress, not bbpress2 like above. But everything else is the same:

bbPress database error: [Access denied for user 'disco'@'localhost' to database 'approachanxiety_com_bbpress']
    SHOW TABLES;

bbPress database error: [Access denied for user 'disco'@'localhost' to database 'approachanxiety_com_bbpress']
    CREATE TABLE bb_forums ( forum_id int(10) NOT NULL auto_increment, forum_name varchar(150) NOT NULL default '', forum_slug varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', forum_desc text NOT NULL, forum_parent int(10) NOT NULL default '0', forum_order int(10) NOT NULL default '0', topics bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0', posts bigint(20) NOT NULL default '0', PRIMARY KEY (forum_id) ) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8

CREATE TABLE bb_posts

Question: can I use the same database as my WordPress database?

I may call my hosting provider to see if there is something wrong with the way mysql databases are set up. Perhaps I can connect but can’t create tables?

Thanks for all your work on this!

Eric

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

With integration, it’s easiest to use the same database, then just change the table prefix (or leave it at the default for bbpress – there’s no conflict.) If you use the same database, then just use the database connection details from wp-config.php.

It seems you can’t even SHOW TABLES, not even talking about creating anything yet. The permissions required to SHOW TABLES are much less than those needed to create a table.

Something weird is going on and we’re going to smack our heads when we realize how simple it really was.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar