Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

404 on Edit my post

• yoplait
    Participant

@yoplait

Hi, i have a latest fresh bbpress plugin (with french translation). I have created a forum and some posts for testing.
    I have “file not found” when i click on edit. The url is “sameonadressbar/edit”
    Also i have 404 on clicking profiles.

Can you help me please ?!
    Thank you.
    Kris

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)

• rbfabbri
    Participant

@rbfabbri

Hi, same problem here.

Did you find a solution?

Thank you!

https://codex.bbpress.org/faq/

My Forum posts are returning 404 messages. How can I fix this?

This could be an issue with your rewrite rules. To fix this try resetting your permalinks. In your WordPress Administration Screens navigate to Settings > Permalinks, select a different permalink structure and save. Then select your preferred permalink structure and save again.

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

Unfortunately this fix doesn’t work. At least not in my case! I am able to edit the main topic just fine, but any reply under it comes up with 404 error. Any other ideas on what I should check?

Robin W

@robin-w

bbPress is tested with wordpress default themes. It maybe a conflict – you need to check plugins and themes

It could be a theme or plugin issue

Plugins

Deactivate all but bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Themes

If plugins don’t pinpoint the problem, as a test switch to a default theme such as twentytwelve, and see if this fixes.

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

Well, I really thought that might be the case, BUT…

Please take a look at this here:
    http://temp.stillrunnin.com/runnin-board/topic/billetproof-is-back-in-2014/

This is a version of my site running “Twenty Fourteen” theme and only bbPress plugin activated. Same problem.

Please LMK and I can provide you with a temp login to test this further.

Thank you!

Robin W

@robin-w

I can se all that forum fine.

so you are only getting a 404 error when you edit a reply, topics are fine. Is this just in the front end, or editing a reply in the toolbar as well?

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

Thanks again for looking into this and for your quick reply!
    Yes, I’m only getting an error if I click EDIT on any of the replies — EDIT on topics works fine. It only happens on the front end — editing replies from WP admin control panel works fine.

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm…you have loads of topics, has this just started happening? and if so when?

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

Hmmm… That amraiguil user is obviously a spammer!

Anyway, back on the subject. This is just a test version of my site that I’m working on, and entire FORUM has been converted / migrated from SilverStripe. First I thought that this problem can be related to that (and I guess it’s still a possibility), but all other forum processes are functioning perfectly fine — it’s just that darn reply edit that is giving me a problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, when you hover on the edit, you should see the destination url that it is going to on the bottom of the screen, how does this differ from the one in the backend?

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

It is quite different!
    From wp-admin area I get this:
    http://temp.stillrunnin.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=42602&action=edit

From front end it looks like this:
    http://temp.stillrunnin.com/runnin-board/reply/edit/

Robin W

@robin-w

From front end it looks like this:

http://temp.stillrunnin.com/runnin-board/reply/edit/

That is what it should look like

can you just check if this is an issue with the replies that were imported, or just new replies created or both, and how these relate to topics that were imported?

In other words do all the following have the same issue?

topic imported, reply imported
    topic imported, reply created in bbpress
    bbpress topic, reply created in bbpress

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

I have this exact same problem.

Thread topic is editable, all replies cannot be edited and go to a 404 page

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

There must be a simple answer to this because everything else works.

I am thinking it is a Custom Post Type registry problem , my theme is seeing the edit page as a ‘reply’ type page. Any ideas where to get started in order to check if the CPT is registered properly? Or how to change the CPT for an edit?

Cheers, Andrew

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

can you just check if this is an issue with the replies that were imported, or just new replies created or both, and how these relate to topics that were imported?

Looks like this is only happening to topics AND replies IMPORTED, but as I said before, topics CAN be edited just fine — it’s only the replies that are causing problem.

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

I guess I should have started my own thread for this, but for me, I don’t have any imported threads/replies/topics, but all of my replies give this error when trying to edit, yet the first topic post can be edited without issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

@creator2000

ok, if you haven’t already try

dashboard>tools>forums>repair forums run all of them but only one at a time
    the run the permalink reset again.

@solosails

Presume you have tried resetting permalinks, have disabled all the plugins and switched to default theme as above?

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

Hi @robin-w , Yep, have tried all above…

For me, it is theme related, as all works fine on 2014, but if this is the case, any idea what is the different trigger that may cause this? Why would you be able to edit on the first post and not a reply? What is it that changes between the two that would cause an issue?

Post type? Permalink issue? Page type? Template type?

Any ideas?

Cheers, Andrew

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

OK, my theme is seeing the edit reply page as a ‘reply’ type page, but it sees the edit original post as a ‘topic’ page…

How to tell the theme that when editing a topic/rely/edit page that it is a ‘topic’ type page?

Or is this something that can be done in the bbpress settings?

Cheers, Andrew

Robin W

@robin-w

what theme are you using?

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

Pagelines DMS2 – http://www.pagelines.com/

Robin W

@robin-w

Since you paid for a theme (and it has so much “we are great” on it’s website), suggest you raise this with them first to see if they can give you amended code

solosails
    Participant

@solosails

Hi,

Yes, I have done as well, but my question here now is to find out what is done differently by bbpress that distinguishes a topic from a reply.

Perhaps if I can understand this, I may be able to figure out what I can change in the functions.php etc to solve it for now.

Thanks, A

Robin W

@robin-w

They both have lots of functions that are different for each.

Two directories that deal with their functions

wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/replies
    wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/topics

creator2000
    Participant

@creator2000

ok, if you havenโ€™t already try

dashboard>tools>forums>repair forums run all of them but only one at a time
    the run the permalink reset again.

Just tried that again. Sorry, no go ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar