Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

WordPress “page” link to bbPress?

• Okay, I’ve installed WP 2.8 (beta1) and bbPress RC1. It appears to be integrated together. Except the obvious: my wordpress site has no link for my visitors to click on to go to the bbPress forum. Should I create a “page” which (somehow?) redirects to the bbPress forum? i.e. so that it appears in the middle column of my WP theme?

Thanks,

~Andrew~

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Yes, you should create a page with the same name as the directory where you installed bbPress. So, if you installed bbPress in a directory called /forums/ create a page called “Forums” with a slug of “forums” and WordPress will use that directory before it ever shows your blank page.

If that does NOT work, there are simple plugins to redirect any WordPress Page to a URL, so you could use one of those if you wanted to do that instead.

It didn’t redirect in 2.8RC2, even with the slug, however I am having problems with the permalinks showing index.php as part of them. I might just have to rip out WP and bbPress and start again (not a bother since the site I used them on its not even off the ground yet).

~Andrew~

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If it doesn’t happen automatically by naming a page the same as your directory, then just use one of the page redirect plugins to direct the page to your bbPress installation. No need to rip it out and start over.

I’ve only seen the index.php permalink problem on Windows servers. What sort of server are you on?

Apache version	2.2.11 (Unix)
    PHP version 5.2.9
    MySQL version 5.0.77-community
    Architecture i686
    Operating system Linux
    Kernel version 2.6.28.8-VISION

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Ignoring the index.php permalink thing, which should be addressed at the wordpress.org forums, were you able to install a plugin that will redirect a page to a URL you select? Actually, it used to be necessary to use a plugin, but maybe now you can do it with php and a WordPress function or a template file. Were you able to get that part working?

Sadly, I think I was ignored over on WP forum site (perhaps I’m marked as a spammer there too?) :-(

I ended up using the “Page Links To” plug-in within wordpress to make the forum ‘page’ actually take people to the bbpress installation.

It looks naff right now since bbpress theme doesn’t match up with WP theme. I have yet to figure out how you get bbpress to appear in a frame below your site’s menu bar. I guess both themes need to match up?

Thanks again for your help.

~Andrew~

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

To make the forum look like your WordPress theme, you need to create a custom theme for bbPress to match WordPress. Browse the integration tag here and you will see this is one of two things that people mean by integration:

1. user login integration between WordPress and bbPress

2. make bbPress theme look like WordPress theme

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar