Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Upgrade bbPress 1.0.2 to 2.1.2

• Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

I have a WordPress 3.4.2 installation that has bbPress 1.0.2 running on it.

I would like to upgrade bbPress to version 2.1.2

As I understand it, bbPress used to be a seperate product back when this was set up?

And now it’s a plugin for WordPress and I can find it under the plugins sections for WordPress.

But how to I go about updating the forum? Should I just leave the files as they are and install the bbPress plugin on top of it?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)

• lividinstruments
    Participant

@lividinstruments

I need that info too.

lividinstruments
    Participant

@lividinstruments

I’ve installed it just fine, it’s just like any other plugin. but how do I migrate all of my posts from 1 to 2?

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

OK, so you tried installing 2.1.2 on top of the old 1.x version and the posts did not come over?

Hopefully someone will answer us and let us know what our options are.

Run the ‘Import Forums’ tool as outlined here:
    https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

When using the same database for 1.0.2 and 2.1.2, will this work? Does version 2.1.2 use different tables, so I can import from the 1.0.2 tables?

The bbPress Plugin v2.x uses the same database as WordPress.

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

OK, so what happens when I install 2.1.2 on top of 1.0.2?

Will my data be available in 2.1.2? Or will it clear everything out?

Limbobski
    Participant

@limbobski

Anyone have any idea?

motionworks
    Participant

@motionworks

I attempted the import but I keep getting the error saying I have no forums to import:

WordPress database error: [Table ‘motionworks_wp2.forums’ doesn’t exist]
    SELECT convert(forums.forum_id USING “utf8”) AS forum_id,convert(forums.forum_parent USING “utf8”) AS forum_parent,convert(forums.topics USING “utf8”) AS topics,convert(forums.posts USING “utf8”) AS posts,convert(forums.forum_name USING “utf8”) AS forum_name,convert(forums.forum_slug USING “utf8”) AS forum_slug,convert(forums.forum_desc USING “utf8”) AS forum_desc,convert(forums.forum_order USING “utf8”) AS forum_order FROM forums AS forums LIMIT 0, 100No forums to convert

Any ideas? All help greatly appreciated.

John.

shulamite8
    Participant

@shulamite8

Fatal error: Call to undefined function is_bbpress() in /home/jagudyje/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress-members-only/init.php on line 129

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks for the error message, but why not include a description of what you’re trying to do?

John – You’ll want to update to bbPress 1.1 first; the schematic changed from 1.0 to 1.1.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Trying to move my forum from 1.0.2 to 2.2. So far managed to move users/forums/topics.

I`m stuck with attachment migration. On 1.0.2 I`m using bbPress Attachments written by _ck_, where files are located in folder, but on 2.2. version they should be in WP media library. Any good ideas how to migrate ~1100 files (jpg/png/pdf) so that they still keep linked to old posts?

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

John James Jacoby said: You’ll want to update to bbPress 1.1 first; the schematic changed from 1.0 to 1.1.

Where can we download 1.1 then? Its not at the legacy page. I got 1.0.2 too and are trying to upgrade to latest 2.x.

You might want to update the Import Forums Codex because it says that bbPress v1.x is supported, but its not as you said yourself.
    https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

That is a little strange. This topic did not move to the top. It still says that the last reply was 1 month ago.

Edit: Works now with this reply..

Download links for v1.2 are over here https://bbpress.org/download/legacy/
    (v1.2 is the same as v1.1 with a fix for BackPress pomo language support)

I also updated https://codex.bbpress.org/import-forums/

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Thank you Stephen!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I have this same problem. I am now downloading version 1.2, to upgrade from 1.02.

But I have my forum on a different database. And would like to import it to the WordPress database. I´ve tried using the converter without success. So would appreciate any help on this problem.

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

John James Jacoby said: You’ll want to update to bbPress 1.1 first; the schematic changed from 1.0 to 1.1.

What can be potential issues when migrating straight from 1.0.2 to 2.x? When I tried test run of migration 1.0.2 to 2.x, I did not noticed any issues, so curious, should I really go for an upgrade to 1.2 first.

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Yea I can’t get anywhere. If I try to update from 1.0.2 to 1.2 I just get a white screen after replacing the files. If I don’t upgrade and just try to import from 1.0.2 into the latest 2.2 I get errors like “Motionworks” reported 2 months ago in this topic.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

You get white screen after upgrading to 1.2? That sounds alarming to me. I cannot risk that. I have users and alot of content. The whole reason I need to upgrade, is to keep that content.

steilenhang
    Participant

@steilenhang

Well you always take a backup before you do anything, so that is not a problem. If it does not work, just restore.

honestscott
    Participant

@honestscott

Hi,

I have a question:

When using the import tool does it just copy over the database information, or does it “cut it” (remove it) from the old database for your 1.0.2 bbpress forum?

The reason I ask this question is because I want to set up a test blog and use the bbpress plugin, and try to import the 1.0.2 forum into the test set up without messing with my current standalone forum to see how it looks before permanently moving my forum over to the new site (set up).

Can this be done?

Thanks!

Scott

smiga
    Participant

@smiga

Migration tool just makes copy from bbpress tables to wptables

Dan2013
    Participant

@dan2013

I’ve got 1.03 so I’ve downloaded 1.1 to upgrade before I move over to 2.12. Do I just overwrite all my 1.03 files with 1.1 files or is there a better way to do this prior upgrade?

Dan2013
    Participant

@dan2013

i.e. do I just sftp the whole lot over and hope for the best?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 55 total)
  • The topic ‘Upgrade bbPress 1.0.2 to 2.1.2’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar