Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Turned bbPress into my blog

• I was using WordPress for a while but I prefer forums over blogging software so bbPress was the best of both worlds! I just altered the default theme to look more like a blog. Let me know what you think.

http://www.jmd.cc

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Well it still looks a bit like a forum, but the concept is solid, keep going!

In fact someone once went as far as changing the whole structure to work like a blog, can’t remember who right now, they were trying to make a whole plugin for it.

Note that you can change the templates even further and put snippets of the post under the title on the front/forum pages – bbPress is very flexible like that since it’s cleanly divided between the backend and front-end.

Believe it or not there is at least one person using bbPress as an advanced image sharing gallery, the possibilities are almost endless.

In fact someone once went as far as changing the whole structure to work like a blog

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbblog-20-plugin

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Always loved this idea personally. As a 2004 phpBB2.x graduate, I was constantly trying to make my forum software do stuff it wasn’t intended to do. This brings me back to those days. :D

Thanks for the feedback and the link to the plugin but I don’t want it to look or feel like a blog, just act like a blog. I prefer the thread/post structure over the entry/comment structure. I was originally using WordPress and had a MyBB forum on the same site, then I switched over to just a MyBB forum with a Blog plugin, but then found that bbPress felt like both a blog and forum without requiring different installations to achieve both. I just created certain categories that only I could post in (the “My” areas) for my “blog areas” and the rest are open for free discussion. :)

I am working on getting the first post of the latest topic to appear on the front page but I have to many other development projects on my plate at the moment. :(

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar