Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

top 100 bbPress sites

• _ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I’m building a list of the top 100 bbPress forums (it will be free to copy ala Creative Commons) and I am quite surprised to discover many more bbPress sites than I first suspected were out there. Some that definitely do not participate around here and/or lurk quietly!

Many cool foreign languages too, like these:

http://bbs.blogbeta.com/

http://uptags.com/

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • I think that wordpress.com should also be in there as it is a large site!

http://en.forums.wordpress.com/

Trent

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

@Trent Oh that’s weird, how did I miss that one! Thanks!

@chrishajer right now it’s ranked based on activity, not prettiness but user voting for 1. style 2. content will come eventually

@fel64, I might release it under creative commons after I fix it up some more. There are some problems – excluded sites, repeated sites, etc. Plus I want to add more stats to them like tie them to alexa data, etc. I’m just low on time and have too many projects going on :-(

I need to figure out an anonymous donate system too, all this is starting to chew into my regular work!

Actually I’d be quite happy with the unfixed-up data, I just want to chuck it into Excel and look at the pretty colours. You don’t need to do anything to it first for me to be happy with that.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

What pretty colours? Anything useful I can mimic via the web? Screenshot example?

Uh, I was interested at looking at average contribution, ie. posts per user, posts and users over time if you have any time data, distribution of forums by posts, users and contribution, that sort of thing. All things that are easily doable over the web (but also a big load on the server), but trivial in Excel.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Oh! Sorry, no I don’t have that kind of data.

I only started collecting the sites at the start of August

and I don’t plan to check the sites more than once a month.

Right now there really are only 50 or so highly active bbPress sites so that kind of data simply is meaningless at this point. It’s not like vbulletin where you have a massive installed userbase.

Big Boards doesn’t bother to track bbPress sites (yet) so I thought my list would be a good idea to help promote adoption of bbPress.

posts and users over time is the only thing you don’t have – and all I meant was since launch, anyway. Everything else you do have.

_ck_: have you considered hacking up a plugin that gathers information about the forum upon activation and once per month after that and submits it to you in some way? Would automate the process way more for you and admins instead of having to post the link to you, and then you having to review all the sites.

I’m thinking it would fill out an HTML form and submit it to a site you had. Then people could log in and see updated information about the most active bbPress boards and what their functionality was. And you could compile a static list regularly.

If it was well written, I’d be interested in seeing it in bbPress by default so new admins who wouldn’t find the plugin here could activate it and submit statistics.

Ofcourse, there’d be some bozos trying to inflate their numbers sometime down the line..

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

I don’t want any kind of “phone home” plugin as that can be accidentally considered spyware as that’s not my style at all. I’d rather do it passively. I’ll eventually make a way for people to submit new sites or manually update stats if they need to.

I’ve taken the fake numbers game into account.

Anyone with a sharp increase in members or posts after each month will be examined carefully ;-) I’ll remove anyone permanently that I catch “faking”. It’s kinda silly anyway, it’s not like you get anything for being higher.

Wow. It’s surprising how many sites are using bbpress, I thought there were much less. I hope some of these micro-forums (including mine) benefit from this. More awareness of the software is good for everyone who uses it.

Sweet, I didn’t realize I was in the top 100 too… I just opened mine a month ago.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Don’t get too comfortable on your position in the list ;-)

As I get more time to code it and add more data, the positions keep slipping. Now almost 1500 sites with ~1100 or so listed.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

New (permanent) home for the list and the showcase:

http://bbshowcase.org/forums/view/top100

In other news I’ll be returning to work on the showcase later this week/month and finally updating the list as well as releasing some more plugins/themes.

9rules Notes and 9rules Clips run on the same bbpress and I’d like to think we are pretty big with over 90k replies and 12k+ members.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Scrivs, could you tell me where to track your stats?

I can’t seem to find them.

You’re in the top1000 but I have no way of quantifying you otherwise. You can email me directly at bbpress.showcase -=at=- gmail.com if there is a private page/data I can use.

Viewing 15 replies - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The topic ‘top 100 bbPress sites’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar