Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

This could be much simpler for basic users…

• mattyprimmer

@mattyprimmer

I know BBpress is supposed to be very lightweight, but it is super confusing not having the basics like a “reply” link. Even if the link led to the bottom of the page. Not everyone knows to scroll to the bottom of the page to respond. At least responding at bottom is an extra feature that is on most message boards if you don’t want to use the separate page, but to start a new thread it at least needs a link that will scroll to bottom – if not it needs a link to an additional page. Way to confusing for my basic users. I have been holding off on using BBpress since this new built in version came out because of simple stuff like this.

These are just a few of the issues I’m having – I want people to actually use my forum if I add it to our site, and I can’t see people even being able to figure out what to do to use it – I know they want it!

I hope this makes sense. Other than that I think BBpress has a load of potential – just small things like this that make it seem useless right now. Maybe I’m missing something though. I didn’t have these issues with the old stand alone version.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

Useless is kinda harsh. It might be needing some (user friendly) polish here and there but it’s working perfectly fine on the site I’m running.

You can always create your own theme of course and add those options you’re talking about.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It’s true. The little shiny pieces of polish, and the things you don’t have to do, are what make software easy to use for everyone, and ultimately more successful as a result.

If you’re holding off on using bbPress because it doesn’t do everything you need it to do out of the box, you’re just not the audience for the software (yet.) Clearly it’s not useless; we’re using it here very successfully.

If your users can’t figure out how to use your site, it’s up to you to cater the theme to fit their wants and needs. If turn-key bbPress isn’t it, that’s totally okay – you’re free to manipulate the design however you’d like.

Future versions of bbPress will receive more and more refinement. Hopefully they improve your outlook – if not, hopefully you contribute code changes upstream to improve the software.

mattyprimmer

@mattyprimmer

I’m warming up to it now. You’re right – it is kind of nice having it scaled back like this. I still think the basics like the links to reply would be nice. It would also be nice to have something built in for registration and login. Overall it’s looking like we might actually be able to use this. Thanks.

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

Registration and login are build in. It’s using the WordPress functions for that.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

There are shortcodes for sign-up, login, and lost-password forms. Since there’s no UI for shortcodes in WordPress, you’ll need to check the bbPress codex to find them.

LabSecrets
    Participant

@labsecrets

Shortcut to shortcodes: https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar