Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Taiwantalk – a discussion site for foreigners in Taiwan (Q&A/digg-like design)

• I just launched my website: http://www.taiwantalk.org/

Taiwantalk is a free discussion site for the international and English-speaking community in Taiwan. It was modified to look more like a Q&A/digg site than a traditional forum.

Thanks you very much bbpress Team for this awesome plugin.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Haven’t heard about forum sites for English-Speaking Taiwanese nowadays but nice to have you blasted it into this forum.

Well, it’s a discussion site for foreigners and English-Speaking Taiwanese. There was only one in Taiwan (made with phpbb) called Forumosa.

Well, keep it up and all the best to you website launch. I am sure it will be a blast specially if it’s for the benefit and welfare of a certain community.

travis.hill
    Participant

@travishill

@janoochen – I really like your setup. How did you accomplish/incorporate your thumbs ratings system?

I wonder too, can you share?

Sure, this is an example of loop-topic.php:

<?php while ( bbp_topics() ) : bbp_the_topic(); ?>

(etc...)

<div class="vote-count<?php rating_class($thumbs_number); ?>">
    <h4>
    <?php wp_gdsr_render_article_thumbs(); ?></h4><span><?php votes_text($thumbs_number); ?></span>
    </div><?php $replies_number = bbp_get_topic_reply_count(); ?>

<div class="reply-count<?php reply_class($replies_number); ?>">
    <h4>
    <?php bbp_topic_reply_count(); ?></h4><span><?php reply_text($replies_number); ?></span>
    </div>

<div class="freshness-count">
    <h4>
    <?php bbp_topic_freshness_link(); ?></h4><span><?php bbp_author_link( array( 'post_id' => bbp_get_topic_last_active_id(), 'size' => 14 ) ); ?></span>
    </div>

(etc…)

Basically, you just have to place the code that generates the rating inside the bbpress loop. You can place it in files like loop-topic.php, loop-replies.php, etc.

Almost all voting and rating plugins work this way (I’m using gd star rating).

The next step is to be able to sort the topics and replies according to their rating. But I’ve already spent one year trying that with no results.

janoochen great website nice work and thanks for the rating code could you an other favor for us could you tell what plugin are you using especially for topic reply toolbar and image upload thingy in profile editing if you are not using any plugin could you please shear the code for what ever you did there

Sure,

For the reply toolbar I’m using CLEditor and for the avatar upload I’m using User Avatar.

thanks

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Hey @janoochen . I’m putting together an examples collection of bbPress 2 forums. Can you just confirm that your forum is running on the bbPress 2 plugin, not the older bbPress 1.x or 0.9 version?

• This reply was modified 11 years, 8 months ago by Erlend.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hey Erlend, chuck mine in there if you like! Using bbpress 2.1: http://teamoverpowered.com/forums/

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Thanks mate, I found it already and it’s on my list 😉 I scoured the “Pimp your press” category and I’ve made note of 14 different forums.

• This reply was modified 11 years, 8 months ago by Erlend.

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

14? Nice, looking forward to seeing the list if your going to create a post about it.

@Erlend The site is running bbPress Plugin 2.x
    (‘View Source’ /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentten/css/bbpress.css?ver=20110807b)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar