Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

So….Whats happening with bbpress?

• In terms of plugin development and general development. I see the trac states some one has been working very hard on bbpress but that were also 10-11 months behind on a simple release?

–Wasn’t sure where this was suppose to go.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Only recently has anyone stepped up to give bbPress any dedicated attention. Namely, me. :)

Also consider that bbPress as a project is pretty much feature frozen. There isn’t anything more to add to it. There will be a 1.1 soon with a few extras, and that’s it for the stand-alone version aside from maintenance as needed.

A lot of this is already on the forums in several places.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Only recently has anyone stepped up to give bbPress any dedicated attention. Namely, me. :)

Also consider that bbPress as a project is pretty much feature frozen. There isn’t anything more to add to it. There will be a 1.1 soon with a few extras, and that’s it for the stand-alone version aside from maintenance as needed.

A lot of this is already on the forums in several places.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

P.S – the forum recount procedures are done, tested, and going through optimizing now. So one of the final bits before an official alpha on the plugin side is near completion.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

P.S – the forum recount procedures are done, tested, and going through optimizing now. So one of the final bits before an official alpha on the plugin side is near completion.

Ahh yes reading through the trac i see you have been doing a lot of work, good work and keep it up. I am wondering though why a lot of these plugins out there weren’t just built in to bbpress?

For example, pms and uploading of images. I understand that the system is to be keep as light as possible….but so is WordPress and look at the amount of features it has.

I am also wondering about the documentation and when that will be re-vamped.

Ahh yes reading through the trac i see you have been doing a lot of work, good work and keep it up. I am wondering though why a lot of these plugins out there weren’t just built in to bbpress?

For example, pms and uploading of images. I understand that the system is to be keep as light as possible….but so is WordPress and look at the amount of features it has.

I am also wondering about the documentation and when that will be re-vamped.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Things like PM’s are more BuddyPress territory. Image uploading is built into WordPress, so that can be turned on via a plugin to the bbPress plugin pretty easily.

The bbPress documentation will be revamped along side the plugin launch.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Things like PM’s are more BuddyPress territory. Image uploading is built into WordPress, so that can be turned on via a plugin to the bbPress plugin pretty easily.

The bbPress documentation will be revamped along side the plugin launch.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Basically you´re saying that BBPress is over after 1.1 as a standalone product?

What I want to know is: Will I be able to carry my current installation over to the new plugin version? With all users and posts intact?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Basically you´re saying that BBPress is over after 1.1 as a standalone product?

What I want to know is: Will I be able to carry my current installation over to the new plugin version? With all users and posts intact?

Oh ok Understood. See I dont use it as a plugin but as a stand alone application. thats where my questions came from in terms of integrating some of the plugins into the bbpress app

Oh ok Understood. See I dont use it as a plugin but as a stand alone application. thats where my questions came from in terms of integrating some of the plugins into the bbpress app

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Makes sense. If you’re using it as a stand alone, you can continue to do so if you’re happy with it’s features as we’ll be continuing support for the 1.0/1.1 branches of code for the conceivable future. If you’d like to run the latest and greatest and have a need for WordPress integration, then the in-development plugin version is the way to go.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Makes sense. If you’re using it as a stand alone, you can continue to do so if you’re happy with it’s features as we’ll be continuing support for the 1.0/1.1 branches of code for the conceivable future. If you’d like to run the latest and greatest and have a need for WordPress integration, then the in-development plugin version is the way to go.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Will I be able to carry my current installation over to the new plugin version? With all users and posts intact?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Will I be able to carry my current installation over to the new plugin version? With all users and posts intact?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

A conversion script will be bundled with the plugin, however since bbPress doesn’t come with an export tool, it will probably happen at the database level and not via an XML import/export.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

A conversion script will be bundled with the plugin, however since bbPress doesn’t come with an export tool, it will probably happen at the database level and not via an XML import/export.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

But I dont know how to do it a “database level”

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

But I dont know how to do it a “database level”

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You won’t need to. The plugin will handle it for you, provided the data lives in the same database.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

You won’t need to. The plugin will handle it for you, provided the data lives in the same database.

Mark Plumley

@mark-plumley

Awesome work John as usual. Waiting anxiously for the new plugin version of bbpress for wordpress.

Mark Plumley

@mark-plumley

Awesome work John as usual. Waiting anxiously for the new plugin version of bbpress for wordpress.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

My BBPress installation is in a different database than wordpress. Will it still work?

I had to do this because integration was a mess. So I simply made a whole new database.

Will it not work then?

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar