Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Secure Auth?

• I’ve been living with bbpress and wordpress integrated badly for a while now. I suspect it’s because I can’t really work out where my wordpress secure auth salt is.

I don’t see it in the options.php for wordpress

I’ve tried adding the secure auth key from the config file, an the nonce salt but these don’t work.

I am tired of being logged out of wordpress or bbpress when switching between them.

I have searched this forum, and googled my head off, but there’s no clear explanation I can find on where this simple bit of data lives.

Where is the secure auth salt?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

@dss – what versions are you talking about?

I’ve got the latest version of WP and BBP

So that’s BBPress 1.0 rc-1

and WP 2.7.1

In my wp-config I have the Secure Auth Key but in the WordPress options.php there’s no “secure auth salt” so i have no idea how to find this and use it for integration.

ok, so I watched the screencast again and I learned something about the “secure auth salt”

I learned that it’s only for people doing ssl instalations, which I am not, and it’s actually ok to leave it blank. So it’s good to know this is not actually the problem.

Is there a tutorial anywhere for existing installations of WP and BBP and how to integrate them retroactively?

OR is it a better idea to backup the data, and undertake the mess of reinstalling and restoring the posts in both applications?

If you upgraded WordPress, the wp-config file may not contain all the keys. Generate them here, and add them to WP. The first 3 of the WP keys are them added to BBPress (via the admin screen):

• WordPress “auth” cookie salt = AUTH_KEY
    • WordPress “secure auth” cookie salt = SECURE_AUTH_KEY
    • WordPress “logged in” cookie salt = LOGGED_IN_KEY

Good point, I checked, and it does. Also, it is the same as the one’s I’ve pasted into the bb config as well.

I installed bbpress before this was a feature.

I wonder if I need to add this manually to the database?

http://www.dave-reed.com/Nifty/randSeq.html

great online resource for whatever character key/ whatever long you need

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar