Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Removing the sidebar

• dreamache
    Participant

@dreamache

Okay first, I’m well aware of the 10+ threads already that exist about this topic, and I’ve gone through all of them.

I’ve read this:
    http://codex.bbpress.org/theme-compatibility/

It seems as though “extras” contains all of the files with get_sidebar, which I’ve edited to //get_sidebar

The link above mentions:
    ““extras” contains optional page templates and things to make life a little easier when customizing; copy any you want to use or modify into the same ‘bbpress’ folder. eg. /wp-content/mytheme/bbpress/”

First, that should probably be changed to: /wp-content/themes/mytheme/bbpress

Secondly, I’ve done this. My directory structure looks like:
    wp-content/themes/sahifa/bbpress/extras (which contain the modified //get_sidebar files)

Yet the sidebar still shows up.

Is there anything I’m missing?

Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

You could just use css maybe? It allows you to quick switch back in case you need it, or if you need it on certain bbPress pages maybe.

dreamache
    Participant

@dreamache

^-I’m not really too fond of that approach. All the sidebar elements still load, which makes for unnecessary load time; and it’s just a really dirty grimy hack. 🙂

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Hmm, not sure its a “really dirty grimy hack”.

Removing the sidebar means you no longer have access to it, should you require it on certain pages, or if like some themes you want to access it on topics so you can show latest discussions, but not on full forum pages.

Otherwise you have to go through and remove it from all bbPress template files, if you ever want it back, you need to revert that process.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar