Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Regarding Trunk Releases and Installation

• Hello there.

I’m eager to try out some of Sam’s Trunk Releases on my site, but I keep running into installation issues. Since I’m new to these kind of test releases, it might just be a simple misunderstanding on my part though.

In a nutshell, what I did is download the latest trunk, add a backpress release and try to install as usual.

Well, after changing bb-config-sample.php into bb-config.php in step 1 the installer will just blank out on the following steps.

Are these Releases not supposed to support the installer at this point?

Thanks

Rob

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If it’s blanking out, you probably have a syntax problem with your bb-config.php. The installer is supposed to be working still with trunk. What release did you grab, just to be sure this is true?

Do you have access to error logs? You probably have a 500 Internal Server Error being logged.

Well I used yesterdays Trunk Release (1736) and the Backpress folder from here: http://svn.automattic.com/backpress/trunk/includes/

Is there anything else I’d have to add to the Trunk that I possibly missed?

I don’t really think that the bb-config syntax is wrong because it’s working with the Alpha just fine.

Anyways, the code for what it’s worse:

<?php
    // ** MySQL settings ** //
    define('BBDB_NAME', 'xxxxx'); // The name of the database
    define('BBDB_USER', 'xxxxx'); // Your MySQL username
    define('BBDB_PASSWORD', 'xxxxx'); // ...and password
    define('BBDB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change these last few

define('BBDB_CHARSET', 'utf8'); // If you are *upgrading*, and your old bb-config.php does
    define('BBDB_COLLATE', ''); // not have these two contstants in them, DO NOT define them
    // If you are installing for the first time, leave them here

// Change each KEY to a different unique phrase. You won't have to remember the phrases later,
    // so make them long and complicated. You can visit https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
    // to get phrases generated for you, or just make something up. Each key should have a different phrase.
    // If you are integrating logins with WordPress, you will need to match each key to
    // the value of their equivalent keys in the WordPress file wp-config.php
    define('BB_AUTH_KEY', 'xxxxx'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('BB_SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'xxxxx'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('BB_LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'xxxxx'); // Change this to a unique phrase.

// If you are running multiple bbPress installations in a single database,
    // you will probably want to change this.
    $bb_table_prefix = 'bb_'; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!

// Change this to localize bbPress. A corresponding MO file for the
    // chosen language must be installed to bb-includes/languages.
    // For example, install de.mo to bb-includes/languages and set BB_LANG to 'de'
    // to enable German language support.
    define('BB_LANG', '');

?>

Thanks for helping out!

Rob

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It’s hard to tell if there’s an error in an edited bb-config.php. I have seen where the secret keys are not properly escaped, and that creates a PHP problem. As you’ve posted it (edited) it works fine.

I just did an svn checkout of r1736 and that included backpress r153, which is what’s available at the URL you posted.

Mine installed cleanly. I did not integrate with WordPress. You can see a one minute video of the installation here:

http://www.chrishajer.com/bbpress/1736/

I suspect a problem with the secret keys in the bb-config.php. Or some other syntax problem with the bb-config.php. If you have a command line with php you can run

php -l bb-config.php

to check that file for syntax errors. That’s “php dash el”, l for Lint.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Heh, it almost takes video proof for people to believe that it works sometimes.

There doesn’t appear to be anything wrong with that bb-config, but you should just let the installer create it for you.

BackPress is included with bbPress when you grab it via SVN or in the 1.0-Alpha packages. SO there is no need to get it separately.

Thank you so much for going the extra mile and making a video, that was awesome.

I just leeched the latest Trunk and tried to let it create the bb-config on it’s own and now it worked, still can’t find the earlier syntax problem but it’s running now.

Thank again!

Rob

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Very good. I created my config by hand, and always have since I first started using bbPress. Not sure why that didn’t work for you the first time around.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar