Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

private messaging with bbPress 2.0 plugin branch

• GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Is there a private messaging plugin for bbPress 2.0 plugin branch?

I’ve just downloaded bbpm and it won’t run, i’m presuming it’s only designed to work with standalone bbPress?

Is there anything else recommended?

Thanks

Ashley

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

The error I get is:

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function bb_load_plugin_textdomain() in /wh_b/……./WWW/wp-content/plugins/bbpm/bbpm.php on line 20

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

BuddyPress. Turn off the other components you don’t need.

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

I’ve installed BuddyPress and the BP Compatibility theme pack, it’s added the top menu to my site but none of the links work (redirect to homepage) and my bbPress links are affected in the same way.

In the theme setup instructions, it had me

1. create a new dir /wp-content/themes/bbp-twentyten/ and move the 6 template dirs there

2. create a bb-config.php file and put it in the root

Permalinks for other WP pages are still working fine.

Have I run into a common problem? I’ve only worked on a few WP sites in the past and don’t really know the debugging process.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Don’t install the forums that come with BuddyPress. You already have forums installed by way of using bbPress 2.0. Delete the bb-config.php file in the root of your install, and turn of bp-forums.

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

If I go to BuddyPress / Forums / Use an existing bbPress installation, it says:

Existing bbPress Installation

BuddyPress can make use of your existing bbPress install. Just provide the location of your bb-config.php file, and BuddyPress will do the rest.

Do I just ignore this?

How do I turn off the forums, do I have to do something additional to ignoring this setup page?

Thanks

Ashley

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Sorry, i’ve just seen that the bbPress forums can be disabled from the component setup page. This allows the forum links to work again but i’m still not able to get the BuddyPress links to work.

Could I ask why we need to turn off the bbPress support – is it just designed for the standalone bbPress install?

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Hi there, i’m going to have another try at getting bbPress and BuddyPress to work together with your help if possible.

Is there a certain order that they should be installed in?

Am I best asking for help on the BuddyPress forums rather than bbPress, or is this a fairly frequently asked question that I could get some help with here?

Thanks!

Ashley

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

Not sure but since bbpress uses the wordpress “users data” won’t PM pluggins designed for wordpress work with bbpress?

https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/private-messages-for-wordpress/

a link on the forum ponting to http://www.domain.com/wp-admin would take users to their outbox. Not a complete and integrated solution but i think it works untill a full pluggin is developed or we could ask that pluggin developer to create shortcodes that show on bbpress if there are new messages or not and a link to see them.

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Thanks Ricardo, but I was hoping for a solution that I could just ‘drop in’ and would be more fully featured.

I’d like to prevent subscribers from being able to message each other, but they can send and receive messages to a higher level user.

BuddyPress seems quite fully featured, it’s just frustrating that it seems to be clashing with bbPress.

I’d be happy if I could just get those two playing with each other and then I can go from there..!

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

Just read the FAQ for that pluggin and in theory it should work with bbpress and wordpress and it has what you want (levels and quotas etc) it even offers a template for it instead of using the admin panel to check messages.

i don´t use buddypress… perhaps someone else might help…

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

It looks like a nice simple solution thanks Ricardo, but from reading the comments on the FAQ page, there doesn’t seem to be any way of restricting conversation between user level. I need to be able to restrict messaging just from user <-> admin.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

you can assing a quota to users, if you just want admins just assign a quota to them and disable the quota to the others…see the screenshot:

https://s.w.org/extend/plugins/private-messages-for-wordpress/screenshot-4.png

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Thanks, but that’s not quite right, I want users to be able to contact admins and vice versa.

I think that if I set user quota to zero they would not be able to contact admins

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

Hi

I’m a internet newbie, don´t know if its because english isn’t my primary language but what you need can be easily achieved with the example i gave before,

you want useres and admins to contact each other right? everyone that registers is a user, anonymous that don’t register dont get the PM function so its all good :)

am i missing something? user to admin and vice versa work “in theory”. i’m going to work now but i’ll test this tomorrow after work.

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Hi Ricardo, in this example could I prevent user from contacting another user?

I’ve just downloaded bbpm and it won’t run, i’m presuming it’s only designed to work with standalone bbPress?

Is there anything else recommended?

buissness cards

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

I doubt there will ever be a private messaging system specifically for bbPress 2.0. Since it is a WordPress plugin itself, it makes far more sense to make a private messaging plugin for WordPress, rather than bbPress specfically since they would presumably work in exactly the same way.

The BuddyPress route that JJJ suggested above seems like the best option to me. There’s probably a bit of extra junk you need to load in the process, but BuddyPress is a known and well developed product so you at least know it will work well and won’t be riddled with security holes which was a problem with the original bbPress private messaging plugins.

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

I agree with you Ryan.

The trouble I am having is that BuddyPress and bbPress will each run happily individually, but when both are running together, the BuddyPress links do not work.

Has anybody managed to get both of them working together?

Is there something simple that I am missing?

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

Is it possible that your original installation of standalone bbPress is messing things up?

That’s just a spit ball guess. I have minimal experience with BuddyPress and bbPress 2.0.

I’m just wondering if something might be left over and not removed correctly, and hence is interfering.

citizenkeith
    Participant

@citizenkeith

GoBangAshley

@gobangashley

Hi Citizen Keith, that was the plugin that Ricardouk suggested, i’m afraid it doesn’t allow me to restrict messaging to just user <-> admin (don’t want users to be able to message each other)

Has anybody successfully installed bbPress alongside BuddyPress who could help me?

Also wondering about this status of private messages. At least for admin-user interaction?

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar