Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Plugin help…

• macwise

@macwise

I’m interested in creating my fist plugin. I would like it to allow the user to see/edit the extra profile fields that are present in WordPress when a site has WP integration working. I’m asking for any help to get started on this that someone is willing to offer.

I’m not very experienced with PHP, though I feel I am a pretty quick learner. I have too many questions right now from the reading (http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin) and from looking at other plugins. I don’t think these questions require more than a few simple pointers and explanations about the structure/basic principles of plugins.

Is anyone out there willing to throw me a bone or two?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• mirce

@mirce

I had the same problem. Its not very hard to do it. You need to use add_action or add_filter. See my problem here https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/742

This may help also:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API#Current_Hooks_For_actions

I have no experience also but I managed to do a plugin.

Good luck!

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

Honestly all I did to learn was download existing plugins (there weren’t many when I started writing them, so you’re at an advantage there) and check out how certain things were performed… I also used windows search to look through the files of bbpress to see how things were done.

Once you see how it is done currently (or how similar functions work), then you can start writing your own subroutines to either intercept, replace, or just create new functions that can be installed into the themes.

Unfortunately, I don’t know much about dealing with WP. I never wrote anything for WP, and the plugins of mine that play nice with WP only do so because people like Trent and spencer helped me test them.

But if you ask specific questions, there are a number of us here who can help you if we know what you’re asking :)

macwise

@macwise

Mirce & Ardentfrost,

Thanks for the suggestions. I dug a little deeper, and got over my hesitancy, and as it turns out I have created my first, fully functioning plugin! I think this is something that will come in handy to many users, (hopefully), so I will release more details about it once I am sure it’s working properly. I am trying to add one more feature, so once I’m closer to success or failure, I’ll have a first release. Thanks again for your feedback, and I hope you guys are around come testing time!

Ron

macwise

@macwise

Ahem, Trent…this means you too. :)

macwise

@macwise

Ok, I think it’s time…What’s the protocol for presenting a plugin?

ardentfrost

@ardentfrost

go to /plugins and request it be added to the repository. If you want to make it available immediately, just host it up somewhere and make a post about it. I have all my pluging mirrored on my site.

Trent Adams

@trent

I will test out and do my duty! Let me know the address and I can help test!

Trent

macwise

@macwise

Shweet! Here it is, ready for download. Please try it out and let me know what you think. This plugin allows custom profile fields on the following pages:

register.php

edit-profile.php

It also displays the information on the profile.php page, and possibly others.

Here’s the link:

ra_custom_profile_keys.zip

macwise

@macwise

Here’s the new thread I’ve posted it on officially. If you can leave comments on the plugin there it would be nice so that it’s all on one spot. Thanks again for all your help!

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/851?replies=1

Trent Adams

@trent

Just having issues with FTP right now…I will test it when I get that working again! Besides, I want to try out the latest TRAC version……..

Trent

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar