Skip to:

Permalinks Slugs Modification – removing forum

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Sam Bauers

Without core hacks or writing your own plugin that hooks into the get_forum_link function and the bb_repermalink function it’s not possible. Your .htaccess file may be correct, but the links generated on the forum won’t work without changing the what those functions expect. I suggest you change the name of the subdirectory you are placing your forums in – that would be the path of least resistance..

Thanx for the response.

I tried to follow how the links are made in functions.php. In bb_repermalink() the case ‘forum-page’ needs to be “hacked”

$forum_id = bb_get_id_from_slug(‘forum’, $permalink);

Is the ‘forum’ the “forum” I want to remove?

Sam Bauers

> Is the ‘forum’ the “forum” I want to remove?

No. It’s a little more complicated than that. In fact, that part you say needs to be hacked, needs to be left completely alone. Really, you are asking for a world of pain by attempting this. It took me hours to write and test the slugs support. Seriously, just rename your forum directory – it’s not worth the hours you will spend.

There has got to be a fairly easy way to remove the “forums/” slug from the URL… anyone know how yet?

Hey, I’m trying to figure this out also. Anyone figured out a way to remove the first “forum” in So that the URL is shorter? I tried doing it with mod_rewrite, but having some issues with bbPress automatically redirecting.

I did something similar, but it required a core hack. I renamed the second “forum” to “board”. It required two steps:

1. With version 0.8.3, I modified line 363 of /bb-includes/template-functions.php to this:

$link = bb_get_option( 'uri' ) . "board/" . $forum->$column . ( 1 < $page ? "/page/$page" : '' );

2. I created an htaccess file by copying the text from /bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php, with two extra lines:

RewriteRule ^board/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forum.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^board/(.+)/?$ /forum.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]

Hey bobby, just curious. Why did you have to change the second “forum” to “board”? Is there anyway to just leave it as “forum”?

I wanted the forum-specific URLs to look like this:

If you make the right edits to that core file and an htaccess file, I think the URL can be anything you want…

Hi bobby, I tried out your hack in bbPress 0.9, and it doesn’t seem to work. Here’s what I did:

I have my bbPress directory installed in a directory called “forums” in the root web directory. So the URL to access the forums’ home page is:

and accessing a forum titled “test forum” is at this URL:

a topic titled “test topic” is at this URL:

I implemented your hack, and changed “forum” to “board” in the template-functions.php. I copied the rewrite rules from rewrite-rules.php and placed them into .htaccess file in the root web directory. I also added the two lines of code you suggested in that file:

RewriteRule ^board/(.+)/page/([0-9]+)$ /forum.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^board/(.+)/?$ /forum.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]

I also tried adding this to the rewrite-rules.php:

RewriteRule ^board/([^/]+)/page/([0-9]+)/?$ <?php bb_option( 'path' ); ?>topic.php?id=$1&page=$2 [L,QSA]
    RewriteRule ^board/([^/]+)/?$ <?php bb_option( 'path' ); ?>topic.php?id=$1 [L,QSA]

When I go to this URL:

I get a 404 error.

However, when I go to this url:

It redirects and changes the URL in the address bar in the browser window changes:

That also brings up a 404 page.

Also, when I go this URL:

The URL works, but it redirects and changes the URL in the address bar in the browser window changes to:

I am a little perplexed as to what is going on.

Can you post a link to your site?

Hey bobby, here it is here:

You said: “I also tried adding this to the rewrite-rules.php”. That’s unnecessary. You just need to add those lines to your htaccess file, which should contain the contents of the page located at Did you add those lines to your htaccess file?

Hi Bobby, yes I added those lines to the .htaccess file as well. It didn’t seem to fix the problem. So I tried adding it to rewrite-rules.php also.

Just found an earlier thread which hits on a similar problem with shortening the bbPress URL:

nicer slug url rewrite plugin (done!)

In the thread’s example. In shows you how to shorten a url like:

Now, if it could also be shortened to:

That would be even better.

It could work like that I think if there were no website (like WordPress) in the www root. Otherwise, how does the server know it’s a bbPress page vs. a WordPress page?

If you are running a forum only on a domain, then it would be silly to have it in any sort of directory at all. Otherwise, if you have a website in the root, you have to put bbPress into some sort of directory to prevent confusion.

Chris, you have a point. However the URL structure of forums and topics always begin with “forum” or “topic”. As in:

So it would seem that it should be possible to remove the “bbpress” from the URL without interfering with a WordPress installation.

Having said that, I think the solution proposed in the thread I referred to in my last post ( is a much more elegant solution for shortening the bbPress URLs.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • The topic ‘Permalinks Slugs Modification – removing forum’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar