Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Per Forum Permissions by Group

• childofnewlight
    Participant

@childofnewlight

After having exhaustively searched for the last few nights for information on this topic, I have not been able to find an answer.

I’m currently using the most up-to-date versions of both WP and bbPress. My current website uses Joomla, rokbridge, and phpbb3.

However, I’m trying to setup a new site based on WordPress and bbPress seems like an awesome alternative to having to mess around with forum bridges for phpbb3.

I was well on my way to adopting bbPress as our new forum software. Successfully imported the phpbb forum. Just fixing things up after the import like setting categories and moving forums around into their proper place. Then I realized that private forums were now public.

‘No problem’, I though. I went to each forum settings to be amazingly disappointed that there was only three options: hidden, private, and open.

With our current phpbb setup I can create a group. Add people to it. Then go to the forum (or their group) and give them permission to see the group.

This is especially important as we are a Christian gaming clan. We have a private guild forum that allows members of our clan to discuss things privately amongst each other (like private vent login info). We also have an officer forum that lets us candidly discuss potential applicants.

I would like to allow officers access to certain forums. Guild members to certain other forums. As far as I can tell, bbpress excludes this very basic ability.

I tried using the Members plugin for WordPress that is suppose to have bbpress integration. It wouldn’t work properly. At times it wouldn’t allow a role to see certain forums and other times it didn’t matter what permissions were set, it’d see it anyway.

I’m going to look at support for the Members mod, but it seems kind of silly that this wouldn’t be an integral part of a modern forum software.

Unless I’m missing something, I’ll have to stick with messing around with phpbb for now.

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 156 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

@pasquale-galasso

Thanks, glad you are finding it useful. The unlimited groups version is on it’s way, I’ve coded it, but just need to tidy up the user interface.

bbPress have said that they intend to have groups in the core product at some stage, but I have no idea on timescales.

Robin W

@robin-w

new version 1.5 with unlimited groups just added to website

bbp Private Groups

and will be uploaded to wordpress plugins in the next few days !

VikR0001
    Participant

@vikr0001

@robin-w Thanks for your reply. It would be great if there was a way to sync Groups from the Groups plugin, with the Groups your plugin recognizes.

Pasquale Galasso
    Participant

@pasquale-galasso

many thanks @robin-w !

Pasquale Galasso
    Participant

@pasquale-galasso

@robin-w in your page

bbp Private Groups

you have to insert the guide to the best way to update plugins without losing the previous settings. Given that the update is not automatic.

Have a nice day 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

@pasquale-galasso

You can just deactivate then delete the current plugin, and then upload the new one – no settings will be lost

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

Hi Robin,

This plugin is perfect for our requirements but I have found that it seems to affect the ability to ‘move’ replies. (highlighted in red in the screenshot attached)

http://postimg.org/image/oxoagevs1/

Usually, you would have the option to move a post to another topic within that forum, but the dropdown seems to be missing when bbp private groups is enabled.

Is there any way to fix that?

Robin W

@robin-w

Interesting, this doesn’t happen on my site, but then all sites are different !

When you say that the ‘dropdown’ is missing do you mean the list that is shown beside ‘use an existing topic in this forum’

and what happens – is it missing, or has blank entries or what?

Come back and I’ll try to help further

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

Thanks for getting back to me. It appears to be missing entirely – and also doesn’t appear to use the theme to render the page anymore.

I’ve added a ‘before’ and ‘after’ screen-shot here which should hopefully help to explain what I mean:

*edit* This site tries to render my link into the page… I’ve added [link] around it to stop this happening…

[link]http://imgur.com/a/t3V6q[/link]

Robin W

@robin-w

Ok thanks, the screen shots help immensely.

I’ll take a look

smileyriley21
    Participant

@smileyriley21

Firstly, Thanks for building this module.

I installed it, had a play and got it working in no time.

On your support page you have the restriction “The shortcode [bbp-topic-form] will show the existence of all forums”. Is it possible to show only the forums that that user can access?

If you can do this, I will love you forever and donate some cash as this will meet my clients requirements.

Thanks for reading.

Robin W

@robin-w

‘If you can do this, I will love you forever and donate some cash as this will meet my clients requirements.’ I think my wife would be worried at the first, but delighted by the second !

It should now be quite doable, as I found a better fix to another area which I can re-use, so I’ll get to work on it, and come back hopefully later today or tomorrow

Robin W

@robin-w

New version 1.6 available from wp-plugins

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-private-groups/

or my site

bbp Private Groups

This version fixes the [bbp-topic-form] shortcode so that it only displays allowed forums (previously it showed all forums, but only allowed posting in authorised).

@smileyriley21
    – love, wealth and happiness should now abound ! 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

@trymedo Can you tell me what forum role this happens with eg moderator, keymaster?

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w I haven’t checked all the roles, but it’s happening to me and I’m a keymaster. I’ll check if it’s the same for other roles now.

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w Just checked and it’s the same for keymasters and moderators. Obviously, all roles below that do not have the ability to move replies.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I’ve just tried both roles on my site, and they are fine.

What theme and what other plugins do you have? and can I see a url? you can contact me via my site if you’d prefer that not to be public http://www.rewweb.co.uk

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w I’m using a customised version of the Roots theme (http://roots.io/).
    The site is in development at the moment, but I’ll send you a personal email with a login to the beta site. I’ll also set you up as a wordpress admin and forum keymaster so you can take a look around. Thanks for your help on this by the way – I’ll be sure to make a donation once I get paid myself 🙂

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w I just realised I gave you access to my local version of the site… *face-palm*.
    I’m setting you up as an admin on the beta site right now.

Just to be clear on two things, first this is awesome the plugins you are writing and supporting Robin 🙂

Second https://codex.wordpress.org/Forum_Welcome#The_Bad_Stuff

* Forum members should not post their email addresses, ask others to post their email or solicit contacting people off of the forums.
    * Plugin and theme authors may post their contact URL or even their email address in their own support sub-forum, but that should be a last resort thing.
    * Forum members, including plugin and theme authors, should never ask for admin or FTP access to a server, MySQL, or WordPress installation.

Thus far in this thread, nothing is ‘out of order’, these rules are designed to protect both user and supporter, if something does go horribly wrong and the ‘supporter’ breaks things really badly or the ‘user’ has a change of heart and accuses the ‘supporter’ of breaking their site things get ugly very quickly and neither party will be very happy.

These rules are designed to safeguard all parties and the vast majority of time things can be explained using just the forums, just take your time and explain it clearly so the other party can reproduce the issue, step by step with the resulting outcome and what you’d expect the outcome to be.

Edit: So carry on doing what your doing, I just thought I should point this out and probably should add this to our ‘create new topic form’ as a reminder…

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

Thanks @netweb, I appreciate the concern and I think if this was a live site we were discussing then I’d be much more weary of asking for help. As it happens, this site is not currently public facing, and I have plenty of backups of the data. It would be just be beneficial for @robin-w to see what I’m working with (it’s a pretty big site with a lot of forum users and topics, something that’s hard to replicate for a local test).

I solemnly swear that I won’t get ugly, and will always just be appreciative of any help that @robin-w is providing, whether it fixes my problem or makes it worse.

I believe his intentions are in the right place. Just like yours

I’m fine with things as they currently stand 🙂 I agree that intentions are good both sides 🙂

I will state though just because someone can now ‘see’ your site doesn’t change the fact you still have to explain where to find the issue and reproduce it no matter how complex it is.

e.g. You need to go here, click this, now do this etc.. Expected: This Got: That

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@netweb of course, and I’m happy to assist with this in anyway possible – I’m not expecting a free ride. I’m currently looking through the php error logs to see if I can find out some more information about where it’s failing.

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w Currently, the only error I’m seeing is this (which I can’t find a reference to within the bbp-private-groups plugin code):

[23-May-2014 11:02:07 UTC] PHP Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function ‘blockusers_init’ not found or invalid function name in /Users/tom/Sites/frenchentree/htdocs/wp-includes/plugin.php on line 470

Tom Dyer
    Participant

@trymedo

@robin-w scrap that – it’s an error in my theme’s functions.php which I’ve just resolved. This still hasn’t fixed the ‘move’ reply issue though 🙁

Viewing 25 replies - 51 through 75 (of 156 total)
  • The topic ‘Per Forum Permissions by Group’ is closed to new replies.
Skip to toolbar