Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

No more Ultimate TinyMCE buttons in fancy editor after latest 2.2 update.

• Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

Like from object… No more Ultimate TinyMCE (no more other button except wp default) in Fancy editor after latest (2.2) bbpress update :/

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Easily enabled with a small plugin or filter. I’m sure someone can chime in with a solution here.

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

Maybe a small plugin for choose the button(s) to show in bbpress is a good idea 🙂

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

There’s a plugin already; something to the effect of Advanced TinyMCE.

Anonymous User 7670885
    Inactive

@anonymized-7670885

But i’ve Ultimate TinyMCE… Present in wordpress editot… But i don’t see in bbpress :/

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

bbPress purposely forces the editor into ‘teeny’ mode. You’ll need a plugin to change that, which is possible to filter out.

Michael
    Participant

@michaelhpdx

Looks like you’ll need a plugin (or something) to override the $defaults array in bbp_get_the_content() in template-tags.php.  The “teeny’ variable is hard wired to TRUE — changing this to FALSE enables whatever TinyMCE config is set (through Ultimate TinyMCE et.al.).

It would be nice if this were a configurable option in the Forums settings, right next to “Fancy Editor” tic box. 🙂

Cheers.

Michael

padekan
    Participant

@padekan

I updated to bbPress 2.2.1 last night and had the same problem with Ultimate TinyMCE plugin. The plugin sued to work beautifully with bbPress, now I get the default fancy editor. I’m not a PHP guru so I’ve been trying to avoid messing around in the code as Michael suggests. Is there any other option to get that editor enabled (it does show up in the dashboard versions of new Topic and I miss the table drawer)

regards, Paul

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Put this in mu-plugins, or make a plugin out of it, or put it in your functions.php file of your theme. Probably will want to rename “foo” though.

function foo( $args = array() ) {
        $args['teeny'] = false;
        return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args', 'foo' );

padekan
    Participant

@padekan

I stuck it in functions.php and it worked like a charm!  Thanks so much!

Halo Diehard
    Participant

@halo-diehard

I’m just recently testing bbPress, my theme is dark and the default editor doesn’t look well with it. Perfect solution? The editor color options available through Ultimate Tinymce! 😀

So, my question is: Do I have to rename “foo”, or will it work if I just paste that into my functions.php?

Signed,
    Complete and Utter php Newb

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Probably will want to rename “foo” though.

Halo Diehard
    Participant

@halo-diehard

Thank you for your quick response, I guess what I’m trying to convey is my uncertainty whether or not I can just plug that code in and rename “foo” anything? I don’t understand why I have to rename the foo, so I thought perhaps there was another step as well it was assumed I would know. (aka: you also have to put “” into your html)

Sorry I’m such a “foo” when it comes to coding 😉 I’m learning as fast as I can!

Wait, I might understand! We rename “foo” so we can recognize what it does when we’re looking at the code?

Basically all these functions names need to be unique…

If you use the above from @JJJ with ‘foo’ and then you use another function from another topic called ‘bar’ and then use a third again called ‘foo’ you will now have a conflict because two custom functions are trying to use ‘foo’.

A common practice is to name the functions with something to remind yourself (or others reading your code) that it is custom code you have added to your install.

eg. Prefixing ‘foo’ with ‘hd_’ for ‘Halo Diehard’

function hd_foo( $args = array() ) {
        $args['teeny'] = false;
        return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args', 'hd_foo' );

Better yet, a more descriptive name again with ‘hd_’ Halo Diehard prefix.

function hd_custom_teeny_mce_override( $args = array() ) {
        $args['teeny'] = false;
        return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args', 'hd_custom_teeny_mce_override' );

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

I am probably being dumb, but I tried installing tinyMCE Advanced, and still could not see any new functions. The functions that I am most interested in include indentation and font colors. Any help will be appreciated.

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Can one use the plugin “Advanced TinyMCE Config”? I tried to use it to set “teeny” to “false”, but it didn’t change anything.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

sunnyt7
    Participant

@sunnyt7

Sorry where does this code go?

wp-content/themes/mytheme/functions.php?

Starejosel
    Participant

@starejosel

Note–it is not just Ultimate that is broken–the kitchen sink buttons also no longer work.
    In addition, text pasted in from Word now has all kinds of bizarre formatting preserved.
    It makes the editor pretty useless. Is there an alternative out there?

padekan
    Participant

@padekan

If you have a child them, just added it to functions.php .. if you don’t, use something like “One-click Child Theme” plug in to create a child theme and then create a functions.php file and put it in there.  For those of us use not very child-theme savy, note that while the style.css in the child replaces the parent theme (hence the import rule), the function.php file in the child is run in addition to and before the parent’s function.

remike
    Participant

@remike

John James Jacoby-> Thank you so much for your piece of code! It’s so useful to have the the enhanced visual editor available in BBPress.

However, 2 issues appeared when I try to use the editor.

1. Smilies do not work

2. BBPress does not preserve and tags for normal users and therefore all the breaks are deleted and if the post is etited it just creates WALLOFTEXT…

Is there any way to fix these two issues?

Hmm, if the tags are being stripped, there is a chance a plugin is doing that.

bbPress by default uses the WordPress wpautop on all content which automagically handles the paragraph tags. There isn’t anything in core that should strip tags unless those tags aren’t allowed in normal posts. What tags are being stripped? It sounds like even the base paragraph tags are being stripped, which shouldn’t be the case unless you ahve wpautop disabled via a plugin.

remike
    Participant

@remike

Once I enabled the TinyMCE visual editor, the text is stripped out of for standard users. Obviously, they are not available in the default editor either. However, what is the point of implementing the enhanced editor with all these fantastic buttons, if almost none of the html tags are enabled by default.

Also, even if I deleted the function for the editor, logged in as standard user and wrote “a”-enter-“b”-enter-“c”-enter”d”-enter-“e” – the result was “abcde”. This is just simply wrong…

ATM, the only way to sort it out is to give permission to all users to write unrestricted HTML. But apparently it is dangerous and someone could write a melicious javascript in the post.

And yeah, the smilies don’t work even for the admin…

remike
    Participant

@remike

I managed to fix the issue with tags ‘br’ and ‘p’ by editing the wordpress file “kses.php” and adding ‘br’ and ‘p’ to globally supported tags.

There is still an issue with emoticons from tinymce not working… Any idea on how I can fix this one?

AllenPayne
    Participant

@allenpayne

@John James Jacoby

Ultimate TinyMCE buttons show up now after using your code but they don’t work.

I just created a new bbpress post and used the Ultimate TinyMCE’s buttons to make some text bold, change the font size, color, underline, etc.. and when i submitted the post only the bold text remained unchanged. All my other formatting (font size, color, underline) was not preserved and was lost after submission.

Please help.

AllenPayne
    Participant

@allenpayne

I would like to add that it the Ultimate TinyMCE editor works well with wordpress posts…It just doesn’t work with bbpress anymore (after last update).

Josh
    Participant

@josh401

Hi folks,

Ultimate Tinymce developer here.

I was just made aware of this issue by one of your faithful followers, who pointed me over here to this thread.

He had some code he was using which allowed Ultimate Tinymce to work with the new WP and new BBPress. Here is the code:

function jwl_bbpress_mceallow( $args = array() ) {
    $args['teeny'] = false;
    return $args;
    }
    add_filter( 'bbp_after_get_the_content_parse_args', 'jwl_bbpress_mceallow' );

I have added the code to my plugin… which we are currently testing… and will be available in my next plugin release (version 3.9).

If I may be of any additional help, please don’t hesitate to contact me by using my form here:

Contact Me

Kind Regards!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar