Categories
Search
Bottom

My Forum Layout (in progress)

• Robkk

@robkk

heres a look at some of the things im working on

reply layout with icons instead of the written word for admin links

might add share reply link in future , link that slides out kind of like disqus comments
    1 reply layout

back to forum button and new reply button (havent styled yet)
    back to forum button and new reply button

1 reply with bbp footer, subscribe link will stay in footer favorite link i want to move toward the top of all the replies in a topic

sharing option will be more like a drop down menu in future , will not use jetpack sharing just custom stuff
    1 reply with bbp footer

all rows topic layout , included views , no highlight topic background if closed or sticky, shows if sticky or closed by having it displayed (might change to icon in future)
    my topic layout

much like replies footer, sharing will show more like in a drop down menu
    topics bbp footer

back to forum index link , new topic link
    back to forum index + new topic button

Hierarchical Forum and Category Layout
    forum layout like traditional forums

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Nice 🙂

Robkk

@robkk

thanks 🙂

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

Wow, this looks nice!

Robkk

@robkk

@pavle123 thank you

SteelersDen
    Participant

@steelersden

Really cool, mind sharing how you did this?

Robkk

@robkk

@steelersden mostly a bunch of css

Robkk

@robkk

My custom dropdown profile menu

inspiration to this are

wordpress profile dropdown in the admin bar
    bbpress support admin bar

https://youtube.com

Homepage

Home

http://tamrielfoundry.com/

Robkk

@robkk

now added buddypress notification count bubble

wordpress profile dropdown in the admin bar vs mine.

wordpress profile dropdown vs mine

Robkk

@robkk

stats on the topic posts kind of like discourse forums.

its easier to do with the show lead topic function activated, but i didnt use show lead topic.

might do tutorial post on this later because its kind of easy.

Robkk

@robkk

"if i would i suggest something , for looks i guess would be color coordination for forums and topics, if you switch to topic freshness instead of forum archive.

so the layout would be

title of topic
    started by: (user) in (color of forum) title of forum

or just the title of the forum with the color of the forum as a background/

imo thats the only suggestion i really want" 

My impressions so far

finally got this done , but i bet there is a better way of doing it instead of how i did it.

will post tutorial later if i find a better way.

Robkk

@robkk

discourse like revision log

shows only when edits occur , shows only number of edits, on hover shows last time ago of edit.

i had two functions of code that could calculate number of edits on the post.

1 is the one i have now which calculates from when i inserted the code i believe.

the other just had a count of previous edit logs, but it had a kind of bug and showed up on all posts with the same number.

might make a tutorial on this, have to consult i guess robin or stephen if the code is good to use or not.

solhuebner
    Participant

@solhuebner

Please share!

bbPress really deserves a better GUI (also for mobile)!

Kind regards

Robkk

@robkk

@solhuebner i will put out a better mobile theme soon.

Robkk

@robkk

@solhuebner also if you have any ideas on what to add feel free to speak

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

Any progress on this?
    I really love the design and how useful it is. Once again good job, bbPress deserves something like this 🙂

Robkk

@robkk

@pavle123 thank you for the compliment

The progress of this is theme is probably at 65% of completion.
    Im really just removing unnecessary code in templates and css that are not useful since i made some arrangements.

and also im really just thinking what else could i add thats different from other forum software.
    if you have any ideas on what to add please feel free to share.

and also if i should just share a child theme of a default theme like twenty twelve for free.

or make a theme off of _s put whatever i want in it and sell it for like 5-15 dollars.

solhuebner
    Participant

@solhuebner

I think you should sell it and so be able to improve it over time 🙂 but the bbPress urgently needs a better look (mobile look is bad in nearly all themes or they just hide things) and this site here also need a mobile version… Crazy in these days to only offer a desktop view…

Robkk

@robkk

mobile look is bad in nearly all themes or they just hide things

well yeah but bbpress support fixed the way replies look a while ago by floating the name and role to the right of the avatar.

I think the only problems now is just the way topic/forum stats and freshness display.

And also if you have breadcrumbs , subscriptions , topic descriptions ,and topic tags they become a mess at the top.

thing is though the easiest way to fix some of these things is to hide them with css.

other ways might be to use a mobile theme, or maybe jquery.

The best mobile version of a bbpress website ive seen is probably quicksprouts forum

http://www.quicksprout.com/forum/

the big part i like is that the permalink to a forum and topic has a huge tap target which is great for mobile users.

Im trying to figure that out but its going to take awhile, but yeah easiest way to get it is to probably have a mobile theme.

i am also trying to implement the way some mobile websites display forums , and also the way mobile apps display forums, example : reddit is fun app on android, or tapatalk.

and this site here also need a mobile version

it does , i saw they made a ticket in the trac to make the site responsive , so im sure its gonna happen in the future.

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

@Robkk

I´d be willing to pay to have a better forum, I think lots of people would.

If I was you I´d sell it. But selling means you´ll have to deal with the support issues.

Anyway, you should focus on creating this to be even more awesome. If I get any idea I´ll let you know.

I am member on quicksprout you mentioned, and their forum cost 12000$, and its far from perfect. I am sometimes annoyed with the limitations of the mobile version.

Somehow I think they are using a service for making this look mobile, perhaps a plugin. I know I´ve seen it already, but I can´t remember the name.

Robkk

@robkk

I´d be willing to pay to have a better forum, I think lots of people would.

im not trying to make money off of something open source , with just little changes in the templates.

I just meant if i made my own theme it would have everything i want (and what i think a person would like) in a theme.

But selling means you´ll have to deal with the support issues.

if i make money off of a theme , i would have no problem with support, might annoy me sometimes but you gotta suck it up because its pretty much your job.

Anyway, you should focus on creating this to be even more awesome. If I get any idea I´ll let you know.

will do!! and alright

I am member on quicksprout you mentioned, and their forum cost 12000$, and its far from perfect. I am sometimes annoyed with the limitations of the mobile version.

$12,000 i think they got ripped off , unless there is something in the backend that i dont know about. Also how do you know that??

And what annoys you about theres?? i dont want to make the same mistakes.

Somehow I think they are using a service for making this look mobile, perhaps a plugin. I know I´ve seen it already, but I can´t remember the name.

ill look it up in a later if it is a plugin, like i said i just assume its a mobile theme switcher right now.

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

@robkk

I understand that man, I would rather have this as a plugin or just a template for my forums opposed to a theme, as I do not want to change a theme.

But anyway, great job.

I know this info about quicksprout because I am an active member of a community and it has been mentioned by the owner (i think there is even a sticky post about forum cost since many people ask this over and over).

What I do not like about their theme is that you have to click on the subforms in order to see if there is a latest post already there.

Really looking forward to it. If you need any help with testing it, let me know, I might be able to help you out.

Robkk

@robkk

@pavle123

I understand that man, I would rather have this as a plugin or just a template for my forums opposed to a theme, as I do not want to change a theme.

well if i make a child theme you can just take whatever code is in the templates and the bbpress.css file i have.

I know this info about quicksprout because I am an active member of a community and it has been mentioned by the owner (i think there is even a sticky post about forum cost since many people ask this over and over).

J just saw the topic , it even says he plans to spend 20,000 when its all set and done. When I really looked at it I can see there is some modified plugins like bbpress direct quotes and new ones like how it has reputation under each user, but c’mon 20,000!!!

What I do not like about their theme is that you have to click on the subforms in order to see if there is a latest post already there.

well i like to keep some freshness stats when the forum is mobile. And how i have it right now is the latest post time goes to the latest topic in that forum.

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

@Robkk

Hey there Robkk, I was just wondering how are progressing with this layout?

Looking forward to the news, I hope all is well 🙂

Robkk

@robkk

im busy trying to overhaul the design of my site, change to a better ssd hosting, and some other stuff thats making me quite busy.

the layout that im going to share is quite different than the one im going to use on my site.

the layout im going to share will not have the profile dropdown menu, forum color coordination, and topic stats inside of the actual topic post, reply upvoting , reply and topic sharing,

forum color coordination will basically be a modified version of this plugin https://github.com/master5o1/bbPress-Forum-Colours

topic stats inside of the actual topic is easy its bascially just putting code thats already in bbpress and just styling around it. i just want to leave that out of the layout.

reply upvoting is just a modified plugin i found , i think it was this https://wordpress.org/plugins/like-dislike-counter-for-posts-pages-and-comments/
    im am not a fan really of reply upvoting anymore because all i see it as is just a number.
    i would like an upvoting plugin that sort of works like reddit that bumps up the topic, or sorts topics by popularity which i think you can do if you do a custom view in bbpress, or like how wordpress.com likes work or like buddypress favorites but i havent learned enough to know to do this myself.

reply sharing i thought was kind of useless in my opinion too, because i want people to just share the topic and bring them in the topic than to see a certain reply of the topic.

topic sharing i didnt add because i just used jetpacks sharing and people hate on jetpack alot so i cant just leave that there for them, i will leave a comment in the templates on where to put some sharing plugins template tag code though.

the shortened edit log is basically the modified time template tag that wordpress supplies.
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/the_modified_time
    with the revision count, i used something custom til i looked into the templates of bbpress to find that they have a template tag for reply/topic revision count so im using that now in the layout.

topic/reply admin links will have icons but instead it will be genericons or dashicons then the fontawesome icons i am using.

the overall layout will stay the same with big avatars in the topics loop, removing small avatar, yeah the rest of the layout.

and also there are many ways i found of created a better mobile layout, so i might share those later too.

Pavle123
    Participant

@pavle123

Great news, looking forward to all this 🙂

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar