Skip to:

multiple forums in a single database – Change prefix to what?

• imagiscapeca

config-sample.php says:

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’; // Only letters, numbers and underscores

I do want to have multiple forums in a single database.

Why do I need to change it from bb_?

What would be intelligent to change it to?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Sam Bauers

You could prefix the first install “bb1_” an the second “bb2_” (you get the idea)…

Whatever makes sense to you, there is no guideline.

Sam Bauers

…you need to change them unless you want the same data in each installation.

So I should list

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb1_’;

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb2_’;

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb3_’;

(I don’t understand how the program would determine which prefix to apply to which forum.)

“what makes sense to me”

Ok, so I might use, for example:

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_installation_’;

$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_plugins_’;

Does “each installation” refer to multiple forums or multiple what?

Do I need to install something more than once?

Thank you.

If you want multiple forums, you need to do multiple installations, and each bbPress installation will be in a directory of its own, and the config.php in each individual directory should have a unique table prefix, as Sam suggested, like bb1_, bb2_.

In that case, each forum would be access with a different URL as well.

Maybe your site is at . A normal bbPress installation would be in something like or . To have multiple forums, you would access them like this:

and the associated directories on the server would be

If you just want multiple forums or subforums in your bbPress installation, you just need to install one time, then set up the forums/subforums within bbPress. You don’t need multiple forum installations.

If you are going to do something like bb_installation_ and bb_plugins_, it sounds like you want subforums. You would have one installation in a directory like /forums/ then you create subforums in your admin panel.

You would NOT create multiple $bb_table_prefix = lines – that wouldn’t work.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar