Search
Bottom

Making sense of Full Width and shortcode

• Nate
    Participant

@caming

Problem: Remove sidebar from bbPress

Solution: My theme has a Full Width option

I know that if I input my shortcode into a Page, it will display the forum in the Template of my choosing. Presto, the forum index is within Full Width.

Yet when the user decides to choose a forum, they’re relegated to the Theme’s default Template, which includes the sidebar.

Meeeeh.

Is there a quick and dirty way to tell bbPress to use the Full Width template that’s already available?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Nate
    Participant

@caming

anyone on this?

I have exact the same problem and question!

Me too. I want to be able to tell bbPress which layout in my theme to use. The default layout has a skinny column and 2 side columns. I don’t want this for the forum.

Nate
    Participant

@caming

Guys,

I’d hate to be a pest, but can this be addressed by the powers-that-be? I’d handle a ‘It isn’t possible’ or even a ‘It will require considerable code work, you might want to outsource a developer’.

I have pored through this forum’s previous posts, without much luck finding a thread where it is discussed.

And, to me, it seems like a fairly common question – especially with regards to aesthetics.

Again, I think this forum software is nothing but excellent, especially for smaller (or, in our case, a nonprofit) businesses that are looking for a solution that isn’t gaudy or bloated.

Looking forward to the responses …

Nate

You will need to do some custom development on your end. This isn’t implemented in core (at least not yet) because at the moment each theme/framework handles their layout options differently – so there is no easy way to cover them all.

You can probably use the code in https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress-genesis-extend/ as an example.

Basically you will want to check for is_bbpress() and if that comes back true then run your code that forces the full width layout.

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

I don’t know if this is of any help but to get what I did at SWNK (http://www.swnk.org/forums/) I added the following code to my functions.php:

function disable_all_widgets( $sidebars_widgets ) {

// if ( bbp_is_forum() ) {

if (is_bbpress()) {

$sidebars_widgets = array(false);

remove_all_actions(‘bp_register_widgets’);

unregister_sidebar( ‘bp_core_widgets’ );

}

return $sidebars_widgets;

}

add_filter(‘sidebars_widgets’, ‘disable_all_widgets’, 1, 1);

Then I added some CSS to put the login widget above the forum.

Did you add this in the main theme or in the bbpress twenty ten directory?

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

I just commented out the sidebar from all my bbpress template files, worked perfectly.

pimarts
    Participant

@pimarts

@softechnos : Main theme.

Nate
    Participant

@caming

@Lynq … which folder?

Thanks!

Lynq
    Participant

@lynq

Inside your theme folder for bbpress.

/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/<YOUR_THEME>

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar