Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Just published my first public bbPress plugin/widget (forum stats)

• TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’ve been puzzled as to how useful showing the user how many “empty topic tags” there are in the bbPress stats widget. I also don’t really care to show the user how many topic tags there are either. SO, I decided to make my own bbPress stats plugin, which I just published in the WordPress plugins repository here:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/tk-bbpress-stats/

This stats plugin allows the admin to choose which stats to show, which is nice. I’m still trying to figure out how to get screen shots to appear in the WP SVN, but you can see the stats live on one of my bbPress deployments at Ute Hub.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

screenshots :

in your readme.txt put

== Screenshots ==
    1. A sample forum setup screen
    2. Setting a user to a group

the words are used as the label

then in the root folder (the same one as readme.txt is located) put the images. These must be called

screenshot-1.jpg
    screenshot-2.jpg

etc.

the .jpg is case sensitive from memory !

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I had the readme text setup right but all I’ve read on the screenshot locations said to put them inside of the assets folder. I’ll update and see if I can get the screen shots fixed.

How about getting a default image then?

Robin W

@robin-w

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

== Screenshots ==

1. Widget settings
    2. Widget display

I have the screenshots in the top level assets folder. No dice. I’ll try moving them to the root folder which is trunk for me since it’s the first time I uploaded.

I’m not well versed on the SVN scripting and all that. It’s not clear…

Robin W

@robin-w

totally agree, svn is not at all clear !

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Let me see later where you have placed them, I had issues in the beginning too.

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Not sure where you have put the screenshots, but I don’t see them : https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/tk-bbpress-stats/

They should go into the assets folder there. I normally use png, but I suppose jpg is possible too. And as Robin says: all lowercase !

Pascal.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’ve got a header, screenshots, and icon in the assets folder. I made some minor changes to the code and readme text plus has the images in the assets folder and did this:

svn ci -m “Code cleanup and hopefully screen shots!”

The changed files made it through and the version number changed, but the files in assets did not transfer. Still not there. Also, strangely, in the screenshots tab of the plugin the plugin description is there.

Is there a way to just upload the assets folder?

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Below is the structure of my local repository. Maybe I’m doing something wrong?
    bbpress svn

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

It’s not on the wordpress.org server for sure. You did not commit (or not correctly).

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Ok. So I just updated to 1.0.1 though. The files inside of trunk updated. Can you not add photos on commits after the initial creation of the plugin?

Robin W

@robin-w

I just put them in the root of trunk, and that seems to work fine !

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’ll make another update and put them in the trunk and see what happens.

TK

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry my last post in response to the previous one.

so I have my screenshots in /trunk and have given up on /assets.

Yes you can commit to a tag directory – tortoise svn puts up a warning (don’t know what other svn’s do) , and you don’t want to do that for anything that changes functionality, as otherwise some people have it and some don’t, but I do for readme.txt and no reason why you shouldn’t add a screenshot to a tag rather than release an update.

Wordpress actually recommends committing to a tag for a readme.txt when wordpress goeds up a version to say your compatible with it.

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

A lot of mistakes there…
    – Rename README.txt to readme.txt
    – You have stable tag:4.2.2, but that should be 1.0.1 (the version of your plugin)
    – trunk is your dev environment, not prod !
    – You don’t have your structure under tags (should have folders like 1.0.0 and 1.0.1)
    – there are still no screenshots under ‘assets’

But this is standard wordpress, so please re-read 16. WordPress.org on https://developer.wordpress.org/plugins/wordpress-org/

Pascal.

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

screenshots go under /assets (top level folder), no longer under the trunk or tags like before. Check out a working structure like https://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/bbp-toolkit/

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

@casiepa thanks for trying to help. I’ve renamed README.txt to readme.txt. I DID have structure under tags. So I fixed the stable tag to 1.0.1 in readme.txt and redid the update.

The only thing that updated is readme.txt. No images uploaded to anywhere and tags did not upload either. More help/suggestions welcomed.

Here’s the current structure.

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Did you checkout the empty structure before filling it ? It seems like your SVN (or other) client is not uploading correctly.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I just tried checking it out, then reuploading. It will only update php or text files that I’ve updated. Won’t upload the images.

Pascal Casier

@casiepa

Something wrong on the client side then… Copy all your files, delete the local folder (so also the hidden files) and do a new, empty checkout from wordpress.org
    Then add your files again to the local folder and commit them.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I may have just figured it out.

It would appear that my local repository did not “know” there were files in the assets folder.

I navigated to the assets folder and entered: svn add screenshot-1.png and it showed an A and the file path. Then I did a svn ci -m ‘bla bla bla’ and it showed those files being uploaded to the wp server. Waiting for the updates to appear.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

BINGO! So my local SVN repository didn’t have the files added to its database, even though I could see the files in the folder on the Mac.

Now enjoy the images and such:

tech55541
    Participant

@tech55541

Hey @tkserver,
    Nice plugin you created. Do you think it would be possible to create shortcodes in the next update? My theme is so old it does not have widget areas LOL.

Thanks, cool plugin BTW.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Nice plugin you created. Do you think it would be possible to create shortcodes in the next update? My theme is so old it does not have widget areas LOL.

Thanks, cool plugin BTW.

That’s an interesting suggestion. It would not be hard but for the settings. Since the widget settings are set inside the widget itself, I’d have to redo the settings and make them part of the plugin settings.

I’ll see what I can do…

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Ok @tech55541 I’ve just added a short code option! See if you can get it to work!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar