Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Introducing plugins for Quotes, Ratings and Unread Posts

• Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Hey fellow forumites. We’ve been using bbPress 2 to much delight over at jmonkeyengine.org for a little while now. After transitioning from the legacy BuddyPress forum, we needed a couple custom plugins made to reach feature parity with our old forum. One of our members, destroflyer, brilliantly stepped up to the task and made these plugins:

Please be aware that @destroflyer cannot actively support these plugins (legitimate bug reports are welcome of course) since their original intent was for in-house use, and he’s making them public as a courtesy.

Enjoy!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Nice one, just had a quick look around the site and quite impressed 🙂

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

Thank you for these wonderful plugins and kudos to destroflyer.

I have a quick bug report about bbPress Direct Quote in that the citation link is for jmonkeyengine. Obviously it should be pulling the data from our sites.

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

thanks @xmasons , I’ve notified destro about it.

destroflyer
    Participant

@destroflyer

Fixed it. 🙂
    Thanks for reporting, totally forgot about it.

xmasons
    Participant

@xmasons

Thanks for the update. It works great.

Seriously, thanks for these plugins. They’ve filled a role that I’ve been looking for a while.

George
    Participant

@ridecbrcom-1

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CREATING THESE PLUGINS. Some of these have been on my To Do list for ages. Thank you again, all are working terrifically. Really helped me out here! Kudos.

George
    Participant

@ridecbrcom-1

So far the quotes plugin works amazing.

For the unread posts and the post rating plugin, i’m getting this error:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function bbpress() in…

Any idea how to fix this? (I will donate to the cause.. glad to see someone putting out new plugins to make bbpress more like a normal forum).

George
    Participant

@ridecbrcom-1

@destroflyer – If you can help out, i’ll be checking this page.. mention me and post up a paypal account for donations for the support.

destroflyer
    Participant

@destroflyer

@ridecbrcom – What version of bbPress do you use?

George
    Participant

@ridecbrcom-1

Thanks for replying @destroflyer

We use 2.0.3 and can’t upgrade yet until we work out theme issues. The latest BBpress completely breaks our theme and makes the site un-usable. We’re working on a new theme but I was hoping I could get these to work without it.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Pretty neat. Thanks y’all for making and sharing these.

limitx3m
    Participant

@limitx3m

Nice!

I don’t suppose you guys have a plugin to display the top voted posts?

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

@ridecbrcom-1 Supporting older bbPress versions is not within our scope I’m afraid.

@johnjamesjacoby
    ‘least we could do!

@limitx3m
    nope, and it’s not likely to be made either. Votes on our forum are applied much like on reddit: some “go gold” because they shared quality content, while some might’ve just cracked a good joke. We would need a different voting system altogether (for which there are long-term plans in place) to make such a thing valuable – i.e. for our purposes, “top posts” should be the informative ones, not the funny ones, as newcomers probably wouldn’t get most of the jokes anyhow.

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hi and thanks for the great plugin.
    I have a problem when new topics created the icon doesn’t change.
    I tested with new topic creation from Key master, Moderator, Participant.
    WP 3.5.1 / BP 1.6.4 / BBP 2.2.4
    Thanks again

limitx3m
    Participant

@limitx3m

@sadr

Perhaps some type of “Moderation” feature would be useful so that only certain top content could be voted?

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Sorry, I was talking about the bbpress-unread-posts plugin!

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

@matrixd did you test on the default twentytwelve theme to see if it works the same way there?

@limitx3m
    perhaps, but you’re being very vague here ^^ What did you have in mind exactly?

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

The problem was the theme! Now it works.

I have a problem with the read/unread icons. If i view a toppic and the last post is less than two hours created, then i still have an unread icon. If i view a toppic, which its last post is more than two hours posted then it functions well and it shows the read icon. What should i do to fix it?

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Hmmm, that’s strange. We haven’t experienced anything like that on our site. Are you running any kind of caching or minification plugin?

matrixd
    Participant

@matrixd

Hi Erlend, I found where is the problem, but I dont know the solution!

In WordPress in General settings I have setup the time of my country (Greece) which is +2 hours UTC.

If I change to UTC the problem with unread icons solved, but I have wrong time in my bbpress posts.

Is something you can do?

Thanks

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

We haven’t been able to reproduce this bug on our own site yet. I’ll let you know if we find anything.

Mitesh Patel
    Participant

@mitesh-patel

@sadr & @destroflyer

I came across little bug/logical inconsistency with the direct quote plugin.

When used along with “bbPress threaded replies” plugin, the quoted reply created responds to the main (as top level) as opposed to the one that has been quoted, which is wrong.

That is, currently it’s like this.
    | – – –
    – | – –
    – – | – if I quote this,
    | – – – this is the quoted reply

But it should be this

| – – –
    – | – –
    – – | – if I quote this,
    – – – | this should be the quoted reply

I guess I explained it well enough, I am at loss of words here 🙂

Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

Thanks for reporting. However, for now, Threaded Replies is custom plugin functionality that falls outside of our scope. If you can’t fix this yourself you’ll probably have to wait for bbPress 2.4, as it is my understanding that Threaded Replies will be merged into core by then.

Mitesh Patel
    Participant

@mitesh-patel

@sadr, Nevermind.

Actually, in further testing I realized that it does multi-quote too. Now if that’s the case, there will not be a unique parent comment to latch the quoted comment, in which case, the present logic is the way to go.

moonoi
    Participant

@moonoi

Thanks for these great and very much needed plugins.

The quote plugin doesn’t work if the WP Editor is enabled and the currently selected pane is the preview/view pane. Only if the source code pane is selected, will the quote be inserted.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar