Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation doesn't work

• Wow, I downloaded the latest bbPress 1.0.2, unzipped it, copied it to a folder /bbpress off my main directory, types in http://www.mysite.com/bbpress and bbPress asked for my user name and PW.

I entered my user name and PW for my site and I then get a blank page.

Come on guys – I installed Simple:Press and had users posting in just 15 minutes.

I’m using bbPress with BuddyPress but guys you’ve got to do better than a blank screen.

If anyone can help me I’ll take the help, if not I’ll chuck this program and have users up and posting in 15 minutes with Simple:Press.

This is really disappointing….

P.S.

When I get your log-in screen I get the “Page not found” 404 error if that helps.

And yes I’m using WP 2.9.2 and I’ve used WP for 3+ years now so I know what I’m doing.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

If you’ve been using WP for 3+ years, maybe you’d have the know how to read that bbPress and BuddyPress are different things. I’d you’re using BuddyPress, you should head to the BuddyPress forums.

And just to be clear, cos you’ve not given a whole

lot of information: bbPress is a stand alone forum that you can add shared cookies with WordPress, but it’s not there our of the box.

So if you’re not using BuddyPress, feel free to come back with more info, a better attitude, and we’ll try and help :)

oh and can i ask, after how long of using WordPress do humans stop making errors?? Glad you decided it was definately bbPress at fault and no possibility of anything else ;)

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

I’m using bbPress with BuddyPress but guys you’ve got to do better than a blank screen.

Ok. Next in schedule.

I know that bbPress and BuddyPress are different animals – thought is was obvious and I didn’t have to point that out.

Still the two have nothing to do with each other during the installation of bbPress – thought that was obvious too.

Back to my point – I follow the bbPress instructions and I get a blank page.

Is this what you guys look at all day long?

I’ve always stayed from bbPress because of all the problems I’ve heard for other folks – I now understand why. But I’m going after the bubble-gum chewing crowd with BuddyPress and bbPress looked like something they would use – simple.

I really don’t think they relate to a heavy duty forum plug-in like Simple:press and would like to give bbPress a try – its all about making money.

So if there are any folks here who want to help I’ll take the advice; if not I’ll be joining the folks who find bbPress out of date with no support.

Thanks for any help in this matter…

P.S.

The thing I don’t understand is how I type in http://www.mywebsite.com/bbpress get the bbPress log in at the top, along with a 404 error, and when I click enter I get a blank page with the following link address:

http://www.mywebsite.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bbpress/bb-login.php

Somehow bbPress is being taken over by BuddyPress and this is probably why I get a blank page.

You guys are the experts – so what is happening and is it just as simple as bbPress and BuddyPress are not compatible with each other?

If so I’ll be on my way…

Oh, I am also using s2Member and I don’t know if that membership plug-in is involved here somewhere.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Perry. BuddyPress have already its own forum functionality which is as well an hacked version of bbPress. So you don’t need to install bbPress if you want a forum.

Go to /wp-admin/admin.php?page=bb-forums-setup and click “install”.

Once you have done this you can access the forum at /forums/. That page (/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bbpress/bb-login.php) doesn’t display anything in BuddyPress.

If you have problems with BuddyPress you should ask for help in BuddyPress support forum and not here. This is the forum of bbPress.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

I follow the bbPress instructions and I get a blank page

Awesome. Please give us LESS information.

Don’t tell us the error on your server logs, don’t tell us at what stage you get the blank page. Just tell us “blank page” and we’ll magically guess :)

Is this what you guys look at all day long?

No, but we know how to be polite when asking for help.

But I’m going after the bubble-gum chewing crowd with BuddyPress and bbPress looked like something they would use

You can’t use them together in anyway. You either use bbPress or you use BuddyPress. Let me put it more simply, if you use BuddyPress in any way shape or form, bbPress won’t work.

its all about making money

Cool, then you can go for paid support :)

So if there are any folks here who want to help I’ll take the advice; if not I’ll be joining the folks who find bbPress out of date with no support

bbPress is out of date, but it has support. You’ll find you’d get better answers if:

1) You had manners – the words “please” and “thanks” work really well

2) You gave us actual information, like your error log, rather than just “blank page”.

Just to reiterate, if you’re using BuddyPress, your problem has nothing to do with bbPress! Nothing at all!

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

http://www.mywebsite.com/wp-content/plugins/buddypress/bp-forums/bbpress/bb-login.php

Oh, look, i thin i see the word… yes i do… BUDDYPRESS.

And we’ve found out that it’s not bbPress at fault it’s USER ERROR.

Big shock, HUGE shock. Apparently people who have used WordPress for more than 3 years can still make a mistake.

I’ve used WP for 3+ years now so I know what I’m doing

Apart from being able to read…

Somehow bbPress is being taken over by BuddyPress and this is probably why I get a blank page.

You guys are the experts – so what is happening and is it just as simple as bbPress and BuddyPress are not compatible with each other?

If so I’ll be on my way…

If only someone had said that they weren’t compatible, and that you should ask in the BuddyPress forums… oh wait, they did!!!

Honestly Perry man, we tried to help. Sorry you didn’t read what we had actually written.

PerryM, thanks for demonstrating how NOT to request free help.

I have 25+ WP websites up and running and each use about 80 WP plug-ins – I’ve seen the best and worst of WP plug-ins.

One thing I’ve come to appreciate is that the reaction of the folks who make these things is VERY important to me if I’m to use a plug-in for commercial purposes and rely on updates which keep up with WP itself.

I don’t have the time to feel out the folks who make these plug-ins so I normally forget diplomacy and watch what happens when I call for help. The reaction is always very telling and I get a real good feeling of whether to use the plug-in or find something else.

You can read the above posts to my simple problem of installing your program and contamination with other WP plug-ins. If there is a weak place in WP it’s one plug-in messing up another. I’m guessing that’s the case here.

But I’ve got my answer and thank everyone here for helping me make up my mind.

No matter what you think the customer is always right – always.

Thanks much and you’ll be happy to know that I won’t be using this program; I’ll be using Simple:press for the 10th time and it’s bulletproof. I’ll have to dumb it down as much as possible if my target audience is to use it – wish me luck.

Bye

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar