Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I’m building a bbPress iOS and Android app

• TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

My current bbPress deployment is on the bbPress showcase here: https://bbpress.org/about/examples/ Ute Hub, the 2nd on the favorites list. My users have asked many times for a mobile version of the site. I’ve done two mobile apps, one an implementation of a straight WordPress blog. My current project is to build a bbPress app for iOS and Android. I’ve put a lot of work into it already and it’s shaping up nicely. I’m using two API’s discussed here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/is-there-an-api-for-bbpress/ for my data, and have modified one to my needs.

I currently have a working app which reads the 10 latest posts straight from the site (pictured below). Tapping on the item loads the full topic.
    bbPress app

Next on the list is to get comments on posts, list of forums. Then perhaps release a read-only version for my users. Then I will work on authentication and allowing users to login and post from their mobile devices.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)

• TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Hi @sambhal I followed the instructions with regards to the wordpress config and htaccess settings and USED this plugin on the wordpress side: https://wordpress.org/plugins/jwt-authentication-for-wp-rest-api/

The front end depends on what library you are using.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

The new Android version of my bbPress mobile app is now published with login, posting, replying, liking and more. Here’s the link to the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmkpro.utehub

Here are some details:

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

The iOS version of my bbPress mobile app is now released!
    https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1252441645

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

0.0.5 version released in both app stores. Here’s a demo. Check out the filter category and block user features!

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

New feature I’m building for my bbPress app: latest activity

MakarkinPRO
    Participant

@makarkinpro

That’s my 2 cents
    https://codecanyon.net/item/beostore-complete-react-native-template-for-ecommerce/17010642#
    https://codecanyon.net/item/digits-wordpress-mobile-number-signup-and-login/19801105

first one have a mobile app second one have a SMS (whithout email, where phone number is a login) signup/auth.

Both works great. I contacted to them both to connect with each other. I reccomend author contact to those guys, make that work for them probably, and the integrate into your app. And publish on codecayon. I’ll buy your app with integrated with the 1st one (becouse it’s have Blog + WooCommerce integration) + SMS signup/auth.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I like the idea that the phone number is the login, except that the user’s login ID may already be set from the www version of the site. Perhaps it could be either the user_name or phone number.

I have a user blocking system setup in the app, and being able to moderate/block the device by phone number could be cool. By device id is probably even better.

MakarkinPRO
    Participant

@makarkinpro

So are you planing to sell your code for BBPRESS + Push Notification + USER phone/sms registration?

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’m not planning on push notification or sms reg at this time. I have a lot of other things in line first like user registration, lost password, reset password, editing posts, admin functions. No API currently exists for any of this.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

I’ve not got a working API for user registration and a front end in the app. This integrates with buddyPress which has much better user registration features than vanilla wordpress. So users will register, then must activate their account via the email they receive on registration. Helps weed out spammers.

mwbartko
    Participant

@mwbartko

I love it. How can buy it for my own site? http://www.solidarity-party.org

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

@mwbartko contact me here and let’s talk about it: http://www.tkserver.com/contact/

Robin W

@robin-w

it was !

jomo
    Participant

@jonathanmoorebcsorg

>So users will register, then must activate their account via the email they receive on registration.

How about allowing the option for users to register and directly use the system, but maybe their posts would require moderation as they would not be perceived as a trusted users (non-spammer) until they have confirmed email address or have approved posts.

Check out the WooCommerce approach, they’re coming from a different angle and not requiring you to confirm your email before checkout and have a number of options about the account creation.

Also check out the Super-Socializer approach which has the option to trust users who have registered by logging with Facebook etc – while Facebook trusts them the site does as well.
    Of course you can’t implement social login by installing the plugin, but there are a number of react-native projects out there addressing this type of problem.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Nice work on a good mobile version and very impressive, I have been trying a similar path but have no coding knowledge so rely on cut and pasting.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Nice work on a good mobile version and very impressive, I have been trying a similar path but have no coding knowledge so rely on cut and pasting.

Thanks. I’ve spent 100’s & 100’s of hours on it already. I’ve got a working user registration, edit posts, and now working on avatar. None of that stuff is supported via any API so I’ve had to build that too. Issues I’m running into are that on the site I’m using to develop uses BuddyPress too. Some of the features I’m using are BuddyPress and not bbPress.

peter-hamilton
    Participant

@peter-hamilton

Ha ha, tell me about it, 100´s of hours here as well, but weirdly enjoyable when it starts coming together.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Upload new avatar, and delete existing avatar API and front end working now.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Thanks for the frequent updates to this. It’s really cool to see the iterations!

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Thanks for the frequent updates to this. It’s really cool to see the iterations!

Thanks mate. Sometimes I wonder if I’m just logging the process for myself. Nice to know someone else is interested.

Last night I finished off some user profile stuff: edit display name and edit email. Still to do: change/reset password.

I’ve run into a bugger of a bug though. On the current app youtube videos do not appear. They’re just blank. It’s a security thing on the front end AngularJS side. It wont allow iframes. The auto Oembed feature of wordpress takes youtube urls and wraps them in the embed code, which is an iframe. I can disable the security issue on the front end but that breaks a feature I need for the mobile devices which keeps the user from getting stuck in the in-app browser. It’s an odd thing. So I may have to make my own API for replies which somehow gets rid of the oembed stuff and on the front end makes a link to the video for the app. Long story…

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

New update (see images below). I’ve now finished off building a custom API and front end in the app for user registration, user editing of profile (avatar, display name, email, password). Since the bbPress forum I’m integrating this with at UteHub.com uses a combination of bbPress and BuddyPress, I’ve tied into the BuddyPress user registration workflow. That helps weed out a few spammers and verifies email etc. This is a pretty big update.

I’ve also implemented api and front end for the user and an admin to edit topics and replies.

Also something I haven’t mentioned here yet, is I built a wordpress plugin for “sports schedules and results” and also implemented an API for that and front end in the app. So you can see the team’s schedules and scores both on the www version and the app!

Edit Profile:
    bbpress ios android app

Register:
    bbpress buddypress ios app android

Schedule:

The Android version is now available and of course the iOS version is “awaiting approval.” Check the Android version out here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tmkpro.utehub&pcampaignid=MKT-Other-global-all-co-prtnr-py-PartBadge-Mar2515-1

Suhail Akhtar
    Participant

@sambhal

Hi @tkserver
    I was also working on an app for Android and iOS using Ionic and it is already completed. Thanks for your plugin, it really helped alot.
    In Ionic for youtube iFrames I am using the following in config.xml file

<access origin="*://*.youtube.com/*" />
    <access origin="*://*.youtu.be/*" />
    <allow-navigation href="*://*.youtube.com/*" />
    <allow-navigation href="*://*.youtu.be/*" />

May be it can help to resolve your issue.
    Good luck

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Hi @sambhal thanks for the suggestion. I will try those suggestions. I ended up having to code a fairly hacky workaround for youtube videos but it does at least get rid of the blank.

What version of Ionic/Angular are you using? I’ve been working in 1.6 and support for that amongst developers is dropping off. Been looking at Angular > 1 but it is so different, I’m considering something else like React or Vue.

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

Version 0.1.0 is now available for both iOS and Android as of today.

New features:

• Create new user account in the app. No longer have to use the www version for that
    • User profile management: edit public display name, edit email, edit password
    • Avatar management: upload/delete avatar
    • New WYSIWYG text editor. Now the same one as on the www site
    • Version checking alerts user to upgrade to the latest version.
    • Fixed youtube bug where videos appear blank in app

TKServer
    Participant

@tkserver

How about allowing the option for users to register and directly use the system, but maybe their posts would require moderation as they would not be perceived as a trusted users (non-spammer) until they have confirmed email address or have approved posts.

Check out the WooCommerce approach, they’re coming from a different angle and not requiring you to confirm your email before checkout and have a number of options about the account creation.

That’s certainly a possibility. That workflow is different that what the current www version is however. I’m trying to keep them consistent in that respect and use the buddypress flow for both the app and the www version.

One “issue” is that in the sports discussion forum world there are some trolls who are always trying to get in, then spam the hell out of the place or post offensive or combative content once they are in. The confirmation of emails at least slows that down because each time they do that I can ban that account/email/IP and they’d have to set up another fake email account and post from a different IP to try and get in again.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar