Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

HTTP_AUTH plugin/how to ?

• chiensavant

@chiensavant

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a HTTP_AUTH plugin/how to available. We’re thinking about integrating BBpress to our server, but we’d like to keep the existing user and password list, so that Bbpress would smoothly be part of our portal.

We might also use WordPress, maybe something done for WordPress is already working for BBpress ?

Since I haven’t found any relevant information so far, I though I might as well ask for help ;)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • When you say Http_Auth, do you mean something like the LDAP auth?

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/26?replies=3

As well, if you have an integration with WordPress, bbPress integrates logins perfectly with WordPress.

Trent

“As well, if you have an integration with WordPress, bbPress integrates logins perfectly with WordPress.”

That said, if they are in different subdomains you will have to tweak some files (currently, anyway). But it’s two lines that need changing in total, and it’s very simple. :)

If you’re planning to install WordPress, look for a WP plugin that does whatever you want and logs you in – there are way way more WP plugins than bbPress plugins.

chiensavant

@chiensavant

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, but the instruction given to me were not all the clear, I apparently was looking for a solution that wasn’t the one that would work for us.

To sum up the info I have, user authentification will not rely on BBpress authentification, but on our own user table (login and password) called by a simple htaccess file.

AuthUserFile /home/login/.htpasswd
    AuthGroupFile /dev/null
    AuthName "Private"
    AuthType Basic
    <Limit GET POST>
    require valid-user
    </Limit>

So our users will not need to register a new account to get access to BBpress (that is intended to be private only) and they’ll just use their existing account.

We might use cookies to allow easy naviguation between BBpress, WordPress and the login page (that will contain a load of other things)

I haven’t seen any tips on wordpress forum either. Maybe my eyes were not wide open at the time ?

Can it simply be done without rewriting the whole login process ?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Sounds like you need a plugin based on $PHP_AUTH_USER to read your existing user database. I don’t think one exists yet.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

I’ve hacked together a first draft of “HTTP authentication for bbPress” using the LDAP authentication plugin as a model.

This is completely untested, but the basic premise is that you set up HTTP authentication on the entire bbPress install. The plugin handles the rest. You will need to install and turn on the plugin before setting up HTTP_AUTH though.

Download from here.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

OK, I just tested this, and it deffinately doesn’t work like it should, you can login using http_auth and then login again with the same user/password and it works.

I have to cut out that middle-man in the process.

chiensavant

@chiensavant

Good news is you’re on the right path apparently.

If you need any help I’d be happy to contribute with some testing.

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

New version added which seems to work. The whole implementation is a little unsavory though – passing HTTP auth to a PHP cookie – feels like double handling.

http://www.network.net.au/bbpress/plugins/http/http-authentication.latest.zip

Someone who cared a little more about how this works would bother to replace all the cookie based auth completely.

I’ll add this to the plugin repository too.

chiensavant

@chiensavant

Thanks, I’ll have a look and I’ll let you know if this works for us.

Having a double authentication is fine as long as security isn’t a concern at the end.

I’m not technician enough to get this done all by myself, I can only encourage other bright minds.

Cheers.

mathboy

@mathboy

This is exactly what I’m after also. :-) However, when I turn on the HTTP authentication in the Admin page I get a bunch of warnings at the top of the screen (see below), and also am unable to log off.

Warning: Missing argument 2 for bb_login() in …/bb-includes/pluggable.php on line 125

and multiple of:

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at …/bb-includes/pluggable.php:125) in …/bb-includes/pluggable.php on line 37

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Just uploaded a new version to address this. Go get version 0.1.2 and try again.

mathboy

@mathboy

Thank you! :D

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar