Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Highlighting the current forum tab

• Hi, I’m making a navigation and was looking for help with highlighting the links, depending what page/forum you are on.

I have a homepage nav link like:

<a href="/forum">Mainpage</a>

how can I add class=”current” and highlight the link when on the mainpage?

I also run a list of the forums in a similar style

<?php foreach ( $forums as $forum ) : ?>
    <a class="forum-link" href="<?php forum_link( $forum->forum_id ); ?>"><?php forum_name( $forum->forum_id ); ?></a>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

Is there a way to add class=”current” depending on what forum the user is browsing?

I know this can be done on wordpress, but I dont know the functions for bbpress yet, and good info is far and wide.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Your code is much cleaner for my use.

I check a WP theme and I’m assuming it’s something like this…

<?php if (is_page()) { $highlight = "forum-link"; } else {$highlight = "current"; } ?>
    <?php foreach ( $forums as $forum ) : ?>
    <a class="<?php echo $highlight; ?>" href="<?php forum_link( $forum->forum_id ); ?>"><?php forum_name( $forum->forum_id ); ?></a>
    <?php endforeach; ?>

but it’s not is_page(), it’s something else.

BTW the code you have does work in front-page.php but does not in forum.php

I just noticed that actually :)

Back to the drawing board…

I found this post https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/functions-for-generating-a-menu-of-wordpress-pages

This doesn’t work for me, it makes my forum blank before even asking for the script. When I create a function.php file and put everything in it. I hope this can help steer you into the right direction.

I found a cheap and nasty way to do it via forum ID, anything else just highlights every tab :(

<li<?php if (bb_is_front() && $forumpage == false) echo " class="new" id="current""; ?>><a href="/boards" title="Forums">Mainpage</a></li>

That will highlight the mainpage tab.

<li<?php if ($forum_id == 1) {echo " class='new' id='current'";} ?>><a href="/boards/forum/first-forum">first-forum</a></li>
    <li<?php if ($forum_id == 2) {echo " class='new' id='current'";} ?>><a href="/boards/forum/2nd-forum">2nd-forum</a></li>

That will highlight forums by ID.

Hope this helps you along :)

before the loop

$forumselect = get_forum_id();

and in the loop

<li class=”<?php if ( get_forum_id() == $forumselect ) : ?>selected<?php else: ?>forum_subforum<?php endif; ?>”>

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar