Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Has anyone gotten an WYSIWYG editor working with BBPress 2.0?

• dangerZ

@dangerz

I can’t believe more threads haven’t talked about this. How are people using BBPress 2.0 without a wysiwig editor? Im a programmer and dont mind using text or markup, but users certainly do mind.

I’ve tried the Post toolbar — that is WAY too technical for my users since it straight up inserts HTML Markup.

I’ve tried CLEditor, which works out of the box — but generates really crappy HTML that doesn’t handle whitespace correctly.

I want to integrate TinyMCE, CKEditor, or PunyMCE, but it’s just harder than you would think because I dont quite understand the plugin structure and template structure bbpress 2.0 uses.

Any help in regards to hardcoding these editors into a theme, hacking an existing plugin, or even creating a plugin to do this highly appreciated.

Best,

Danger

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

bbP 2.1 has TinyMCE.

You can download 2.1 by clicking Zip Archive on this page: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Keep in mind that bbPress 2.1 is still in development. It’s pre-release software and there might still be some kinks to work out.

But, on paper it’s *supposed* to be better than 2.0. :)

unholyfruitbat

@unholyfruitbat

That’s a huge relief because honestly I believe the lack of editing options in the core release is what’s holding bbPress back more than anything else.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

That very well could be true, however it doesn’t seem to be holding back other forum packages such as Vanilla which offer no advanced wysiwyg editor out-of-the-box.

It was only a matter of time until it made it into bbP core though.

dangerZ

@dangerz

hi jaredatch ,

The reason it’s not holding back Vanilla is because while Vanilla doesn’t have a good wysiwyg editor by default, it has good, working ones

which are easily installed through plugins.

BBpress 2.0 currently does not. It doesn’t even support bbcode natively.

Anyways, I do appreciate your suggestion — this functionality is very important so im willing to experiment with a pre release version of bbpress.

I’ve downloaded the bbpress plugin you pointed to and backed up my existing bbpress plugin folder.

Now, how do i install this bbpress 2.1 without breaking my existing bbpress 2.0 forums?

dangerZ

@dangerz

Okay, i got it working and it’s awesome! (although a bit buggy)

After backing up the bbpress folder, I basically left the existing bbpress plugin running and activated, and just copied the 2.1 plugin contents into the existing plugin folders.

One bug i caught is that there is no beginning slash for the “EDIT” Link in topics for the admin, so I went in the code and added that.

This change was made in bbp-topic-template.php at line 2199

if ( $wp_rewrite->using_permalinks() ) {

$url = $topic_link . $bbp->edit_id;

$url = trailingslashit( $url );

i changed it to

if ( $wp_rewrite->using_permalinks() ) {

$url = $topic_link . ‘/’. $bbp->edit_id;

$url = trailingslashit( $url );

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

Hmm, I’ll ping @jjj about this, however it seems to be working for me (the original method).

dangerZ

@dangerz

I think it has to do with the permalink style. I had numeric permalinks before. If i Change it to “post name” permalinks i think the original code works.

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

I just tested it and you are right! Seems to be screwy when using the numeric permalinks.

We’re going to look into that. I definitely appreciate you coming back and posting about the problem you encountered – this will help us make 2.1 as solid as possible when it is released publicly :)

Jared Atchison

@jaredatch

jjj has committed a fix. If you update your 2.1 install everything should be good. Again, thanks for reporting the bug.

locomo
    Participant

@locomo

in 2.1 is it possible to disable the HTML tab in the rich editor on a role-by-role basis – i’d like to only give the HTML tab to moderators

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar