Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Has anyone gotten an WYSIWYG editor working with BBPress 2.0?

• I can’t believe more threads haven’t talked about this. How are people using BBPress 2.0 without a wysiwig editor? Im a programmer and dont mind using text or markup, but users certainly do mind.

I’ve tried the Post toolbar — that is WAY too technical for my users since it straight up inserts HTML Markup.

I’ve tried CLEditor, which works out of the box — but generates really crappy HTML that doesn’t handle whitespace correctly.

I want to integrate TinyMCE, CKEditor, or PunyMCE, but it’s just harder than you would think because I dont quite understand the plugin structure and template structure bbpress 2.0 uses.

Any help in regards to hardcoding these editors into a theme, hacking an existing plugin, or even creating a plugin to do this highly appreciated.

Best,

Danger

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • bbP 2.1 has TinyMCE.

You can download 2.1 by clicking Zip Archive on this page: https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/plugin

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Keep in mind that bbPress 2.1 is still in development. It’s pre-release software and there might still be some kinks to work out.

But, on paper it’s *supposed* to be better than 2.0. :)

unholyfruitbat

@unholyfruitbat

That’s a huge relief because honestly I believe the lack of editing options in the core release is what’s holding bbPress back more than anything else.

That very well could be true, however it doesn’t seem to be holding back other forum packages such as Vanilla which offer no advanced wysiwyg editor out-of-the-box.

It was only a matter of time until it made it into bbP core though.

hi jaredatch ,

The reason it’s not holding back Vanilla is because while Vanilla doesn’t have a good wysiwyg editor by default, it has good, working ones

which are easily installed through plugins.

BBpress 2.0 currently does not. It doesn’t even support bbcode natively.

Anyways, I do appreciate your suggestion — this functionality is very important so im willing to experiment with a pre release version of bbpress.

I’ve downloaded the bbpress plugin you pointed to and backed up my existing bbpress plugin folder.

Now, how do i install this bbpress 2.1 without breaking my existing bbpress 2.0 forums?

Okay, i got it working and it’s awesome! (although a bit buggy)

After backing up the bbpress folder, I basically left the existing bbpress plugin running and activated, and just copied the 2.1 plugin contents into the existing plugin folders.

One bug i caught is that there is no beginning slash for the “EDIT” Link in topics for the admin, so I went in the code and added that.

This change was made in bbp-topic-template.php at line 2199

if ( $wp_rewrite->using_permalinks() ) {

$url = $topic_link . $bbp->edit_id;

$url = trailingslashit( $url );

i changed it to

if ( $wp_rewrite->using_permalinks() ) {

$url = $topic_link . ‘/’. $bbp->edit_id;

$url = trailingslashit( $url );

Hmm, I’ll ping @jjj about this, however it seems to be working for me (the original method).

I think it has to do with the permalink style. I had numeric permalinks before. If i Change it to “post name” permalinks i think the original code works.

I just tested it and you are right! Seems to be screwy when using the numeric permalinks.

We’re going to look into that. I definitely appreciate you coming back and posting about the problem you encountered – this will help us make 2.1 as solid as possible when it is released publicly :)

jjj has committed a fix. If you update your 2.1 install everything should be good. Again, thanks for reporting the bug.

locomo
    Participant

@locomo

in 2.1 is it possible to disable the HTML tab in the rich editor on a role-by-role basis – i’d like to only give the HTML tab to moderators

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar