Skip to:

Had to comment out ‘return false’ to get install to work

• I’m sure this ISNT the proper solution, heh, but since it worked I thought I’d point it out.

After Step 1 failed many times, I set out to debug it. My travel took me here:

$this->$dbhname = @mysql_connect( $server->host, $server->user, $server->pass, true );

if (!$this->$dbhname)

return false;

That was failing and returning false everytime. I couldn’t figure it out. I printed out the hose and user and password, and it looked good. I could connect just fine from a shell prompt.

After confirming that it actually WAS connecting, and that it was simply the lack of $this->$dbhname that was causing the failure, I just commented out the return false; and VOILA! It worked! Installation finished and I can post messages, etc, etc, everything seems fine.

Soooo… What’s up with that?! hehe. $dbhname was == ‘dbh_local’.

Not sure what other details I can provide. Just thought I’d share the rather strange experience and oddness that I’d have to hack the db_connect code to get the install to complete… Weird!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Sam Bauers

Were you getting an error message when it didn’t work? It would be useful to know it if you did.

What host are you using?

This is the code that was making the call and getting the return false returned to it, thus resulting in this error:

if (!$bbdb->db_connect(‘SHOW TABLES;’)) {

$this->step_status[1] = ‘incomplete’;

$this->strings[1][] = __(‘There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.
    Please check the settings, then try again.’);

return ‘error’;

db_connect was returning false when it detected $this->$dbhname was undef. So by removing the return false when that happened, the db_connect call then succeeded and all was happy :).

To answer the other person, I’m hosting on localhost. I have an old PowerPC Mac running OS X 10.4.11 or something. It’s a spare computer; thought I’d stick a forum on it and learn some php.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar