Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Good forum needs some feathures – New ideas!

• XU3E

@angelxube

Hello to developers,

I really love bbPress! Simple and fast! Integration options to WordPress is good way but I really love a idea about stand alone forum solution. Before that, there is few things that should be consideret to next release.

Unread post/topics – Is it really hard to made this? This is main problem of all lightweight forums scripts – no marknig of unread post and parent topics. Just put that to the core and give options to admin. If they are interested about that fetahure they’ll enable it. Or just give us some up-to-date plugins that works and are supported by official dev team.

Quoating and Posting reply – Light weight doesnt mean “no bbcode” or another nice code like !Texy. But please, no HTML or worst – XHTML STRONG tag as formating for messages! I really like simple way to add comments but i cant stay manual formatin of text with HTML. Its such waste of our time!

And where is Quoting support like WP has?

Allowed quicktags – Please, give me options set allowed tags from admin. Or just give better documentation! WordPress is the best because good documentation! I cant spend all day looking for right file just because its not at documentation and sometimes its impossible find some reasonable answers on google.

Automatic tags – This is not serious problem. Just consider…

Slug – Slug like WP. I miss this feathure. Its hard to fix slug problem if i cant directly acces to that from admin. Only way i can do it is mysql.

Thats it! Nothing more. I am new here and i dont follow main goals of project but this is my opinion why is bbPress so uncomfortable to me and my friends.

Its just my opinion and I hope you will consider make some serious progress on it.

Sorry for my english.

Thanks

PS: I hope there will be more good ideas. Topics like this should be general, sticked.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

Quoating and Posting reply: https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/ajaxed-quote/

Allowed quicktags: You mean the html tags that can be used in posts? bb_allowed_tags()

Automatic tags: ?

XU3E

@angelxube

Thanks for fast reply. I know about this plugins but its AJAX and that its not always the best solution. Also, I just wanna say – It should be at the core – but no AJAX one. Just simple one like wordpress has. Nothing extra.

Allowed quicktags: Yes. That function. I dont know how change allowed tags. Right now Its not soo important but it should be configurable from admin at the future.

Automatic Tags: I dont know how to explain. Right know tags are main keys for searching or I think so. If its so, why they are not creating themselves and automatic from repeatable phrases from entire topic? Right now you have to put a phrase manualy into input at “widget” under Info “widget”.

Oh, I hope you’ll understand…

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Unread post/topics – Is it really hard to made this?

1) Yes

2) There’s a plugin for this for just over 2 years.

Quoating and Posting reply

Roughly 2 years. But uses JavaScript.

i cant stay manual formatin of text with HTML. Its such waste of our time!

Loads of plugins for this. I know mine are from early 2008, and I’m sure _ck_’s bbcode lite and bbcode buttons are from before then.

Allowed quicktags.

That function. I dont know how change allowed tags. Right now Its not soo important…

“Tags are over-rated. People simply don’t use them – especially non-techy people who see the value. We have 7038 topics on bbPress.org and yet 35/39 Tags have less than 25 topics, the other 4 have more (but pagination doesn’t work in the new theme). Even if we don’t attempt to count duplicates, bbpress.org has less than 10% of all topics tagged. If we were to check for duplicates, it would definately half”

-https://trac.bbpress.org/ticket/1243

Automatic tags

Apart from my answer above.

There has been a plugin for this for 2 years.

Slug

I see where you’er coming from on this, but it’s not a great idea.

A forum is an N-to-N system. A blog is a 1-to-N (or few-to-N) so control of such things is needed and easier.

I am sure there will be some folks out there with good examples, but I’ve never ran into an issue with a slug of any forum I’ve used in all my years.

Thanks for your suggestions and time though :)

Kev

XU3E

@angelxube

1) Yes

2) There’s a plugin for this for just over 2 years.

1) Why is it hard to made?

2) Yes, there’s a plugin but It works only with older release bbPress. _ck_ doesnt support new releases because his own branch.

kevinjohngallagher

@kevinjohngallagher

Yes, there’s a plugin but It works only with older release bbPress

As do most plugins.

It’s just where we are I’m afraid :(

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar