Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum sluggish/permalinks don’t work in IE (.htaccess issue?)

• Hi folks,

Just trying to iron out the niggles in my forum. I’ve noticed that my forum is very slow compared to the forum here, which seems surprising given my forum’s lack of activity! Could it be related to the permalinks structure or .htaccess? I’ve tried setting the permalinks up in config, with multiview in the .htaccess, and while it works fine in FF (still slow though) it won’t appear in IE (I get a 404). So I’ve disabled permalinks in order for it to work in IE.

Now, some info. My forum is in a subdirectory from my main WordPress install. I had to enable the php5 handler in the site root .htaccess file for all the new bits and bobs in WP 2.2 to work properly. Here’s what my root .htaccess file looks like:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www.ochremusic.com$ [NC]
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://ochremusic.com/$1 [R=301,L]

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

Would any of that inherited by the forum subdir cause any problems with the bbPress permalink structure, or cause speed issues? Tried optimising the db, but no difference.

Any help on these issues would be very gratefully received, thanks.

PS. Also, for some reason I get a 404 trying to validate the forum on W3. Clues as to why? :P (Sorry!)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone? I’d be very grateful for any insight. I’d hazard a guess that the root htaccess is causing probs for bb, but as it needs to be this way for WP (and to redirect old www. traffic) is there anything I can reverse with another htaccess file in the forum subdir?

Are you sure it is a .htaccess rewrite issue? Is your main site also sluggish? Your .htaccess file contains a *lot* less code than mine. And my site isn’t exactly slow.

I timed http://ochremusic.com/ using my wristwatch. The main page takes 14 seconds to load. 6 seconds for the site to even begin loading. Clicking forums immediately took me 5 seconds for the page to load.

That makes it 6 seconds for the DNS to resolve(?) 8 seconds for the main site and 5 seconds for the forums.

Hmm. The main site is quite large, with the front page at about 200kB or something, but loads in about 5 seconds on my 2Mb connection (much of that waiting for Digg or YouTube, it seems). But when selecting topics on the forum it takes about 5 seconds again to load, where I’d expect it to take about a second, as it does here. After all, it’s just a few kB compared to the main site.

Thanks for investigating though, pravin – very much appreciated. :)

Just upgraded to .82.1, and still have the same minor issues:

• Pretty permalinks/slugs won’t work in IE 7
    • Forum sluggishness – I see ‘waiting’ for a few separate moments in my browser when I click on threads (navigating to the forum and entering forum categories is fine, but actual threads seem comparably slow). I’ve tried changing themes but I get the same results with the default themes.
    • In IE 7 the bottom border of the thread title is misplaced, instead of running beneath the title it runs through the title div.

.htaccess files as stated earlier in this thread. Any assistance would be very gratefully received. Thanks.

I cannot test your permalinks because you turned them off. If you get this, maybe turn them back on so we can test it. As well, your blog took more like 8 seconds to load and your forum was really quick for me. Maybe a coincidence….?

Trent

Hi Trent — just enabled slugs for the permalinks — please have a look now, thanks.

Yep, I tried the forum in IE7 on another computer last night, with permalinks off, and found it was quite quick, though I still got the odd 404 (refreshed a few times to get the page up). Can’t get permalinks/slugs to work with IE though at all.

Thanks again.

Some permalinks are showing up fine and some are not for me. What do you have in your .htaccess file in the /forum/ folder? Is it just:

+ Options Multiview

That seems to work for me. Without having a seperate .htaccess file for your bbPress folder, it will get messed up and try and use the wordpress .htaccess.

As for speed, nothing changed for me with and without permalinks on.

Trent

Hi Trent – thanks so much for checking it out. Yes – that’s the only line in the .htaccess file:

Options +MultiViews

Any ideas why some links work and others 404?

Well, it seems adding this to the root file causes the problems viewing in IE:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php

Removing that line means I can view the forum without problems in IE, but then stops WP admin from working properly (why I added it in the first place).

Any way of stopping a child dir (the forum dir) from inheriting that rule from the parent dir, or should I just add the line to the WP admin dir .htaccess file?

Okay, just added the php5 rule thingy to the admin dir, and set it to inherit the rest from the root just in case. Seems fine at the moment.

Let it be known that I am a complete tool! I’d left the WP functions include line in the config file, back from when I was trying to integrate the WP head and footer (since just duplicated them in BB). For some reason this was causing the sluggishness and problems with IE.

Doh. Nice to get to the bottom of that! :)

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar