Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Root Page Issues

• David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

I just setup BBPress today and am excited to get it fully deployed, however I’m having an issue with the Forum root page: http://bricksofthedead.com/forums/

As you can see, it’s posting truncated information. Also, the page is not editable.

To try to fix this, I created a page with that slug and used the shortcode, but once I published it behaved the same way.

I changed the URL on my created page to http://bricksofthedead.com/forum/, and it is displaying correctly, the trouble is, I can’t get the breadcrumb navigation to link there instead. I tried changing the default slug to /forum, but that ended up displaying the broken page instead of the correctly working one.

This seems like a super simple thing to fix, but I’ve been struggling with it for a couple hours now. Any help?

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

Anyone have any ideas on this? Bumping after almost two days.

It’s an conflict with you theme 🙁

If you activate TwentyTen/Eleven that page will show up right.

David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

There’s got to be a way around it. I need my theme to power my comic, which is the main draw of the site.

Is there something I can add to functions.php or something?

David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

Okay, I tried something and it seems to work, but I want to make sure it won’t break something else down the way.

I setup a 301 redirect so that whenever you go to /forums (which doesn’t work), it sends you to /forum (which does) instead. I did some testing and it appears to be okay, but I’m concerned that it might introduce other issues.

I suspect It’s your theme and there’s no simple way to fix it short of diving into the code 🙁

/forums (the auto generated page) is an CPT archive page and your theme is likely modifying the query or auto formatting its archives (this is common in frameworks). Normally this isn’t a problem, until you use a plugin like bbPress which excepts archive pages to not be “highjacked”.

The /forum works because I assume this is the page you created with the shortcode which isnt using the same template as mentioned previously.

Forwarding forums to `forum’ might work, but make sure that the root of the problem isn’t affecting other archive areas of your site (topic listings etc).

nirzol
    Participant

@nirzol

I have the same problems I think…
    on http://rplayers.com/forums/ –> [bbp-single-forum id=44] don’t work
    but [bbp-topic-index] this shortcode works

And when I do the same things there http://rplayers.com/forums2/ all shortcode works

I posted a message there but no reply https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/problem-with-shortcode/

David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

I reached out to the people who make my theme on this one, and they stated the issue was because it’s displaying excerpts instead of the full page, and that tweaking that should fix it. I’m going to try that out – probably tomorrow – and I’ll post here if that’s a fix.

Awesome, thanks for the update!

nirzol
    Participant

@nirzol

So have you find a solution ?

David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

Apologies; I haven’t had a change to test this yet. Home with two sick kids, then got sick myself. I’m going to try to knock this out either tomorrow or Friday.

David
    Participant

@cancerkitty

I tried setting up a forum.php page template and using archives.php from the Twenty-Ten theme as a base, but that didn’t work at all. I’m still trying to suss this out.

TulsaREIA
    Participant

@tulsareia

For people still looking for an easy solution to this issue, I found a simple solution.

I wanted my blog categories to use excepts but when that setting is turned on, the root forum page does not display because it is truncated as described above.

So I turned excepts off so that the forum displayed correctly and then to make the the rest of my site use excepts, I installed the plug in “posts in page”. Then I created new pages with the shortcode from the plugin to create new static pages for my posts to display in excerpts. I updated my menus and widgets to display links to the new pages so that site visitors can easily browse the posts by seeing excerpts. Plus I did not have to hard code the forum or theme.

pcgs51
    Participant

@pcgs51

13 months later, today I had the same issue and so grateful to find this thread and this post from TulsaREIA.

I’m using the Genesis framework with a child theme. In the Genesis settings you can toggle the post archive to display excerpts or post contents. Just select post contents and its all good. Many thanks!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar