Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum attacked by spammers

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I don´t know if they are spambots or human spammers, but they are registering at a rate of every day now. And creating senseless topics used ford mustangs and stuff.

They are normally registered on Gmail with emails like this:

c.am.e.ron.n.e.dic.iml.i.n.e.r@gmail.com

farl.eyd.a.rr.i.ck@gmail.com

I do not run Akismet, because it messes things up, but I do run the plugin Human Test. So they are getting past that. But since they are so very similiar in their postings, names and email adresses, I assume they are bots.

If I could manually accept all registered users before they could post, this would not happen. But what can I do to prevent them from spamming my forum. Whatever they are?

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)

• packzap
    Participant

@packzap

I installed the reCAPTCHA plugin (noted above) and it seems to have nipped the problem spam in the bud. Previously, CK’s “Human test for bbPress” plugin had been doing the trick on my board. However, with this more aggressive & annoying automated bot spam, it was guessing the equation and then getting in the door.

I’m not overly happy about having to install captcha software, because it’s difficult to make out the characters sometimes and I feel it’s an impediment to quick and easy registration for people. Nevertheless, something that stops the hoser spammers is appreciated and reCAPTCHA appears to have succeeded (for the time being).

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Uh, account needed? No thanks.

I´m tired of registering everywhere for these plugins. Either they work or don´t. Dont bother the user by forcing him to become a member everywhere.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Uh, account needed? No thanks.

I´m tired of registering everywhere for these plugins. Either they work or don´t. Dont bother the user by forcing him to become a member everywhere.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

google bought it, use your gmail account details.

Ricardo
    Participant

@ricardouk

google bought it, use your gmail account details.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

And why do you assume I have a gmail account?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

And why do you assume I have a gmail account?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Now the car spammers has turned into female weightloss spammers.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Now the car spammers has turned into female weightloss spammers.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Bah, I´m getting four spamposts every morning now, by four new registered spammers. Looks like I´m gonna have to do something drastic.

Can you post a picture of how Recaptcha looks like during signup?

Those I´m thinking of are so hard to read that I fear it might chase away real potential members too.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Bah, I´m getting four spamposts every morning now, by four new registered spammers. Looks like I´m gonna have to do something drastic.

Can you post a picture of how Recaptcha looks like during signup?

Those I´m thinking of are so hard to read that I fear it might chase away real potential members too.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I just installed honey pot too.

I don´t know if it catches these bots, but the idea is good.

Both honey pot and stopforumspam work with 1.02.

The latter says it has catched 870 spammers now, but it doesnt stop these generic gmail accounts from registering and posting – always when I´m sleeping!

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I just installed honey pot too.

I don´t know if it catches these bots, but the idea is good.

Both honey pot and stopforumspam work with 1.02.

The latter says it has catched 870 spammers now, but it doesnt stop these generic gmail accounts from registering and posting – always when I´m sleeping!

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

Click my profile name to go to me bb site, then click “register” at page top to see reCaptcha in action.

packzap
    Participant

@packzap

Click my profile name to go to me bb site, then click “register” at page top to see reCaptcha in action.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Oh no… that´s so fucking ugly. Nobody understands what that shit means.

Is there no simpler solution to this?

Human test was so elegant in comparison.-

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Oh no… that´s so fucking ugly. Nobody understands what that shit means.

Is there no simpler solution to this?

Human test was so elegant in comparison.-

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

You’ve indentified a number of possible plugins that can help/prevent any SPAM on your forum Ramiuz. Yes I’d recommend you used Akismet because it’s designed to work on this kind of stuff, plus it’s owned by Automattic who make sure it integrates well with the likes of bbPress (and WordPress!) — If there is a problem with it, do the developers know about it?

My $0.02 anyway! ;)

Mark McWilliams

@markmcwilliams

You’ve indentified a number of possible plugins that can help/prevent any SPAM on your forum Ramiuz. Yes I’d recommend you used Akismet because it’s designed to work on this kind of stuff, plus it’s owned by Automattic who make sure it integrates well with the likes of bbPress (and WordPress!) — If there is a problem with it, do the developers know about it?

My $0.02 anyway! ;)

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Did my topic about spambots just get attacked by a spambot?

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Did my topic about spambots just get attacked by a spambot?

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

This forum is slowly dying. 50% posts are spam.

zaerl
    Participant

@zaerl

This forum is slowly dying. 50% posts are spam.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Man. The state of BBPress is so depressing at times.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Man. The state of BBPress is so depressing at times.

Viewing 25 replies - 26 through 50 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar