Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

ETA of bbPress 1.0 ?

• Anyone have any idea when bbPress 1.0 will be release?

I’m not asking for a specific date … it would just make it a lot nicer to know if bbPress is within a month of being finished, 3 months, 6 months, etc..

The reason why I ask is because for this past year, I’ve been under the impression that the 1.0 release was going to be “soon”.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/when-bbp-10-release

I wouldn’t count on it soon, but someone else might be able to chime in with a better estimate than “later”.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

It seems like 1.0 has really come along nicely the past month or so, with many frequent bug fixes and trac updates.

I know I’m new to the bbPress game, but I really do hope and plan to stick around as a beta tester and plug-in developer once I’m totally comfortable with what I figure out from poking around.

feastoffools

@feastoffools

Why not say: “We don’t know, but we’re working hard to develop an EST by next month. But based on the past, we can guess that it will be ready by this date, but who knows, we might run into unexpected delays along the way.”

Is there politics involved in setting a project finalization date? My suggestion is that if you want to see more people adopting bbpress, you’ll want to be as transparent with your project dates. Am I wrong here?

They’re no where near the point where they want to pimp a finalized product. Personally, I’ve seen far too many projects like this fail because they promoted themselves before they were ready. Right now, even though there is a stable version, the whole site is pretty much a big public test. There’s too much going on to be able to guess a date, and based on the past, if you held a gun to my head, I’d make things up. Which is what developers do when our bosses want to know how long it will take to build the next toy for our companies. We don’t know, sometimes. Creativity (and yes, coding is just that) is hard to measure.

So. It’ll be done when it’s done. Not by years end. Hopefully us posters can help hammer out the big issues to get them to a live 1.0 version sooner, but it’ll take time :)

Sam Bauers
    Participant

@sambauers

Well, basically I’m not sure how much more time it’s going to take to get things right for the final 1.0 release.

I could set a date, but then if it wasn’t met there’d be a whole new set of expectations and complaints to manage.

bbPress 1.0 will be released after the “1.0-rc” (release candidate) versions, which will come after the “1.0-beta” versions which will come after the current “1.0-alpha” versions.

Basically there is still very new or experimental stuff in the 1.0-alpha releases. Once that newer functionality is tied down we’ll be able to move to 1.0-beta which should only contain cosmetic changes and optimisations. Then once those are complete we’ll move to 1.0-rc, during which we will generally only do bug fixes. Once the bugs are ironed out, we’ll go to a final 1.0 release. Hopefully the minor point releases can be kept to a minimum after that.

How long is that piece of string? Maybe one maybe two months. It actually depends on people testing more than anyone coding, although if we can get more people contributing patches to core it would be great too.

_ck_
    Participant

@_ck_

Exactly how many more “when will 1.0 be final” posts are there going to be?

There are at least a dozen topics on this. When it’s done, it’s done.

If you rush it, then we have to deal with the “when will 1.0 be fixed” questions.

There is no schedule, no timetable, and you should not use the alpha on a live site.

If you can’t live without a date, assume it will be done a year from now.

Please see the dozen other topics on this: https://bbpress.org/forums/tags/10

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar