Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Cookie & Integration With WordPress Install

• So I’m a compentent user / php programmer and maybe I’ve just skipped over the same steps over and over again? Not sure.

My wordpress install operates on the base domain address

http://www.domain.com

My forums operates on a subdomain address

forums.domain.com

Now bbpress has no problem allowing WP users to log in. However everyone is assigned to an inactive role. Also the user has to sign in again at the bbpress site.

Now I know what you’re going to say about issue 1 – user role mapping has to be setup. Done. Doesn’t work. Weird huh? I even re-submitted my user role mapping, and then created a new user in wp, and logged in as him. He also has no role assigned in bbpress.

And I know what you’ll initially ask about the cookies. I’ve verified my site and blog address (www.domain.com) and I’ve made changes to both wp and bb config.php files for the auth key, secure auth key, and logged in keys to match between the two installations. I’ve also addedd the definitions for cookie_domain (.domain.com) and cookiepath (/). I’ve also cleared all cookies and confirmed the new cookie assigned has the .domain.com address.

(Off-topic, but a lot of content on this site is related to older and outdated versions of software – this site is in dire need of updating. And since wordpress.org uses the forum software you should probably maintain a clean well documented site over here.)

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

What is the database prefix of your WP install? Have you set the correct value in the bbPress settings?

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

What is the database prefix of your WP install? Have you set the correct value in the bbPress settings?

Guatam,

Right now I am using standard settings but bbpress and wpress use separate databases. Also – bbpress IS seeing the user tables just fine because I am able to log in with wpress users into my message forums.

My only db related issue is that the bpress “User Role Map” has no relevance to newly (or already-existing) users.

** I actually had to modify a entry in my wp_usermeta table to re-establish keymaster access to an admin account. (meta_key = bbpcapabilities) **

The other issue really lies with the cookie wordpress is creating not being seen/recognized/considered by bpress. And having gone through the instructions provided on the site and through the wordpress integration section – one site cannot see the other site’s cookie.

Guatam,

Right now I am using standard settings but bbpress and wpress use separate databases. Also – bbpress IS seeing the user tables just fine because I am able to log in with wpress users into my message forums.

My only db related issue is that the bpress “User Role Map” has no relevance to newly (or already-existing) users.

** I actually had to modify a entry in my wp_usermeta table to re-establish keymaster access to an admin account. (meta_key = bbpcapabilities) **

The other issue really lies with the cookie wordpress is creating not being seen/recognized/considered by bpress. And having gone through the instructions provided on the site and through the wordpress integration section – one site cannot see the other site’s cookie.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Hmm. Browse into your wp_usermeta table, and check the wp capability of any user (preferably a member). And check if there is any bb capability for that user or not. If there is, then what it is? If not then paste this code in bb-config.php, refresh your forums and then delete this line. Check again.

bb_apply_wp_role_map_to_orphans();

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Hmm. Browse into your wp_usermeta table, and check the wp capability of any user (preferably a member). And check if there is any bb capability for that user or not. If there is, then what it is? If not then paste this code in bb-config.php, refresh your forums and then delete this line. Check again.

bb_apply_wp_role_map_to_orphans();

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Please ensure that User database table prefix option in WordPress Integration panel is set to the appropriate value. That is a must and I’m pretty sure that that would be the problem.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Please ensure that User database table prefix option in WordPress Integration panel is set to the appropriate value. That is a must and I’m pretty sure that that would be the problem.

Right now, for some reason unknown to me, the database IS showing roles for users now. I’m going to try and revist any steps I’ve done prior to this and post them here.

I didn’t get a chance to test out your steps above before it (by magic) decided to work.

Though I don’t understand why this would have resolved any issues I was experiencing, the last thing I did to the site was:

https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/ and changed my wordpress values in the config.php file and admin section of the site, then copied the values (again) to bbpress’s config.php file.

** I found this via another post while searching Google, so reluctantly I performed the steps. **

Right now, for some reason unknown to me, the database IS showing roles for users now. I’m going to try and revist any steps I’ve done prior to this and post them here.

I didn’t get a chance to test out your steps above before it (by magic) decided to work.

Though I don’t understand why this would have resolved any issues I was experiencing, the last thing I did to the site was:

https://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/salt/ and changed my wordpress values in the config.php file and admin section of the site, then copied the values (again) to bbpress’s config.php file.

** I found this via another post while searching Google, so reluctantly I performed the steps. **

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Good that it is working now. :)

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

Good that it is working now. :)

Looking at the cookies in my browser (after clearing them, then re-logging in) bbpress still insists on setting and using forums.domain.com as the cookie path and not using the base domain cookie.

Looking at the cookies in my browser (after clearing them, then re-logging in) bbpress still insists on setting and using forums.domain.com as the cookie path and not using the base domain cookie.

Actually scratch that, it is working now. Changing the salts for wordpress has solved everything. I’ll post again if I figure out any thing specific that I may have changed or done that enabled the user role permissions to start working again.

Actually scratch that, it is working now. Changing the salts for wordpress has solved everything. I’ll post again if I figure out any thing specific that I may have changed or done that enabled the user role permissions to start working again.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar