Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Clicking on forum topics brings me to my main website

• I have renamed bbpress’s folder to something called “collectibles-talk”. I have this folder in my root along with WP. I do not have them integrated, they are separate, both using there own database.

When I click on any of the forum topics, say “Please Introduce Yourself”, it takes me back to my WP website, a 404 page. Any ideas? Here is my website’s forum, so you can see what I am talking about: http://collectibleswow.com/collectibles-talk/

Click on a forum topic.

Thanks

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Looks like you have permalinks enabled but not configured. You can turn off permalinks in your admin (set them to none) or you can configure your server:

https://bbpress.org/documentation/faq/#pretty-permalinks

Try turning them to none first, to see if that truly is the problem.

I can get into the dashboard of BBpress, but when I click on “Settings” or any other link in the dashboard, it goes back to that “not found” page from WP.

I tried adding: Options +MultiViews

to my htaccess file and now I get a “Redirect Loop” Firefox says.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Looks like your host does not allow Options +MultiViews, or it conflicts with another .htaccess file, maybe the WordPress one?

Can you remove that line from your .htaccess and try adding explicit rules by accessing this URL for your site, then pasting those results into your .htaccess?

http://collectibleswow.com/collectibles-talk/bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php

(I think you need to be logged in as keymaster for that to work.)

Thanks for trying to help on this Chris. Here is what my htaccess file looks like at the moment:

Options +MultiViews

# BEGIN WordPress

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Keep in mind this is in my root directory. (so both WP and BBpress are both using it?)

Am I supposed to have a seperate htaccess file in the bbpress directory too?

I got access to the code you sent me. Do I delete the above code and replace it with this code you sent?

I JUST FOUND THE PROBLEM CHRIS….

I forgot to fill out my config.php file, so BBpress used the one that WP is using. They are both using the same database.

BBpress somehow found the info from WP’s config.php file and used it. I remember BBpress telling me it didn’t find the config.php file, and did I want it to fill one out for me. I clicked “yes” and it took the info from WP’s config.php

I noticed this in my FTP…..there is a config.php.sample (came with BBpress) and a config.php that BBpress generated.

I need to start a new database and fill out manually a config.php to go with it. Thanks for all your help Chris and I hope this helps others that may have done the same thing.

Well, I thought that was the problem. The forum works now, but I have to turn off pretty urls or permalinks. I really wanted to use that though.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If your server supports mod_rewrite and .htaccess, you can make pretty permalinks work (if they work for WordPress, they can work for bbPress). You just need to follow the instructions.

And if bbPress is in a sub-directory of WordPress (collectibles-talk), then you will have two .htaccess files, or possibly all the rules in the WordPress-level .htaccess. The .htaccess you posted is the default WordPress one. You need more rules for bbPress.

Here is something about that:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/pretty-permalinks-not-working?replies=24#post-7743

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar