Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Changing How Forums are Listed

• Kaenim
    Participant

@moatihar

Hi everyone. I’m in the process of migrating my website from phpBB to bbPress. In modifying the template, I feel like I’m pretty limited to what I can change without getting into modifying core files.

Basically, this is what my phpBB forum looks like –

And this is how my bbPress looks like right now –

I want to retain the look of the former, but in the archive-forum.php template file, the only code that is being called in that area is “bbp_get_template_part( ‘content’, ‘archive-forum’ );”

It looks like bbp_get_template_part() is calling the entire thing, whereas I’m used to phpBB giving me individual tags – I guess their equivalent to what you’d call shortcodes? – for the category name, the forum name, number of posts etc to place them precisely where I want them in the template.

So what am I missing? What file can I modify, or what functions could I call, that would allow me that same level of control?

Hopefully this is coherent. I’m pretty new to using bbPress – and BuddyPress, and WordPress… – so I feel a bit mentally fatigued from learning these systems, lol. Any help would most certainly be appreciated. Let me know if anything needs clarification, and thanks in advance to anyone who reads this wall of text. Cheers.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Stephen Edgar
    Keymaster

@netweb

You want to check this out I think 🙂

I have created a bbPress starter theme with a phpBB look and feel

btw, what bbp_get_template_part( ‘content’, ‘archive-forum’ ); is doing is loading the file content-archive-forum.php and so on. You can override any of those files in your theme (without modifying core files). Just copy the file you want to modify to a ‘bbpress’ folder in your theme, and modify it there. bbPress will load that one instead of the core one.

Kaenim
    Participant

@moatihar

Daniel – That line is what’s in the file archive-forum.php. As someone who’s not overly familiar with this anything bbPress- or PHP-related, it looks like the file is calling… itself? O.o FWIW, I do have these files in my child theme for the purposes of modifying them.

Stephen – That definitely sounds like what I need. Just downloaded it and am about to check it out. Thanks for the link! 🙂

@moatihar see that I said “content-archive-forum.php”

Kaenim
    Participant

@moatihar

Ohhh! Thanks, Daniel. I didn’t even notice there were two similarly named files. Little by little, I’m getting a grip on the newness of everything. 😛

And as a follow-up regarding the phpBB-inspired theme, that definitely is helping me do what I wanted. So far, it’s turning out great. Thanks again, Stephen!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar